Cat Stevens Wins Peace Prize

catstevens.jpgPeace Train' singer Cat Stevens gets peace prize in Rome

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

(11-10) 08:24 PST ROME (AP) --

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev honored the singer once known as Cat Stevens with a peace prize on Wednesday, praising him for charity work and for standing by his convictions despite personal hardships.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1124EST0556.DTL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Islam is the founder of Small Kindness, a charity to raise money for children and families suffering from poverty and war in the Balkans and Middle East. It also donated money to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and to the fight against AIDS in South Africa.

The Bush administration says we don't need that kind of scum in the good old US of A, and as they constantly remind us...they don't make mistakes.

I remember some of his statements yrs ago and it seems that he has supported Hamas in the past. Whether or not he still does is open to some debate. He seems to have mellowed with age. I still think he's scum and don't want him in the USA. Thank you George Bush and Company.

Arafat won a Nobel Peace Prize and there seems to be considerable evidence that he has supported terrorism for many yrs. I don't want that scum in the USA either.

Winning a peace prize and supposedly supporting worthwhile causes doesn't always make you a good guy.

I remember some of his statements yrs ago and it seems that he has supported Hamas in the past. Whether or not he still does is open to some debate. He seems to have mellowed with age. I still think he's scum and don't want him in the USA. Thank you George Bush and Company.

Arafat won a Nobel Peace Prize and there seems to be considerable evidence that he has supported terrorism for many yrs. I don't want that scum in the USA either.

Winning a peace prize and supposedly supporting worthwhile causes doesn't always make you a good guy.

pardon me Redneck.... but until your country can sort out the gun running scum in the USA who have been funding terrorism in MY country for the past number of miserable decades ... it might be better stop living in cloud cuckoo land and assuming the USA is any less hypocritical than anywhere else.

I detest politics.... and reading your narrow minded, intolerant outlook in practically EVERY post you make is really starting to piss me off.

:reallymad:

Buy a plane ticket... travel some... and spread a little love.

Absolutely the USA has funded terrorism in other countries. It is only called terrorism if you are on the receiving end. If you are on the giving end it is called something else. Just like war crimes. War crimes are always commited by the losing side. The winner determines what the crimes were and who is responsible. Just because we have criminals and terrorists in this country doesn't mean I want more entering. I have no problem with you not wanting any particular person or group of people in your country. I don't care if you post Bush is a terrorist and you don't want him allowed in your country. Allow me the luxury of not wanting a particular person in mine. Please keep Cat Stevens over there.

I have no interest in traveling, thank you. You can travel and spread all the love you want. Spread enough for both of us. Not that I need your approval but please allow me to stay at home.

:I gotta see this:

. and reading your narrow minded, intolerant outlook in practically EVERY post you make is really starting to piss me off.

At least, they're done with humor :lol:

:I gotta see this:

At least, they're done with humor :lol:

Yes but I am sure that it gets old very quickly, especially if you disagree with my point of view. In this setting where almost everyone is an extreme liberal, people get tired of my jokes. If my jokes were anti conservative/Bush/Republican the people posting here wouldn't get nearly as tired of them. It is easier to please when you are all poking fun at the same entity. I am aware of that and actually I have resisted the temptation many times to post something because of the point of view or post a joke because I don't want to offend anyone. I have hit a nerve with several people here at times and would like to apologize to any and all I have offended. I really like this site in spite of it's liberal tilt. It makes it easier to find a target. I think the thing I like most about it is that it has no flaming. I have never said I hated any group of people, race, religion or whatever because I don't.

I gave a black guy at work $1200 to help him with his college. Boeing pays for the college after you pass the courses and he didn't have the money up front. Each semester he takes the money they give him for the preceding semester to pay for the next semester. Since I have been laid off from Boeing I have had a total of 8 fellow employees contact me. 2 white people, one of whom is gay; 3 black people; 1 hispanic; 1 from Thailand; 1 from Vietnam. I have been to each and everyone of their houses and they all have been to mine. A pretty diverse group of friends without traveling don't you think? They all call me redneck but more importantly, they call me friend.

I really ought to find a right leaning board on which to post. That way I would fit in better and we all could ridicule the liberals. Nobody would be offended except the occasional liberal that accidently hit the site by mistake. :lol:

Another tasteless bumper sticker that is inappropriate for this site but I will post it anyway. :bigsmile:

post-23-1100197410.jpg

You make some good points. The Republicans I know in my life are very generous people. My industry, which is primarily liberal, is not always that liberal when it comes to dealing with their employees. Frankly, I think that labels can be miscontrued. Prinicples are one thing, actions are another

Yes but I am sure that it gets old very quickly, especially if you disagree with my point of view. In this setting where almost everyone is an extreme liberal, people get tired of my jokes.

As usual, I couldn't disagree more. I love the fact that you are around poking the fun right back at us. You are a huge asset to the site, and on a personnal level I love to have you around and reading your posts.

The way we have so many views and cultures, yet so few fights is what makes this site great.

I am 100% sure that Redneck doesn't support the actions of those responsible for the IRA. I read it simply to mean that he also does not support those responsible for america potentially suffering from a similar situation.

I got to know Redneck on another forum site. I got to know him a lot better on this one. He's a good man. I don't agree with all of his opinions. I don't have to. I'm sure he doesn't agree with all of mine. He doesn't have to. But the fact is, he is a valuable member of this community. I don't want to lose him as a result of differing beliefs.

So everybody just believe in whatever you want. Express those beliefs here if you choose.. Just don't bust each others butt about them!!

:yup:

Actually I don't want to lose any members as a result of differing beliefs!

Edited by rainbowdemon

Actually I don't want to lose any members as a result of differing beliefs!

I'll beat that Yosemite Redneck to the consarned draw on this zinger....!

It's a good thing John Kerry isn't a member here because he's a one-man differing opinion bonanza....flip flop, skip and drop, the opinion changes like the wearher :bigsmile:

That felt kind of good...I gotta get out of this Republican personna after one more thing...

post-23-1100214645.jpg

I think it's possible that his money was indirectly funded to certain "militant/terrorist/etc groups" in a chaos of different donations to various organizations (most perfectly docile). Money can change hands; knowledge and intent is key

I don't believe, however, that he is a believer in terrorism or in violent behaviors what-so-ever.

I don't think he's scum. That's just my opinion as it is exposed to the limited facts I have.

I could be wrong though, but I don't have enough information because after all, the hard facts pointing directly to him can't be divulged because it's "sensitive information" (it may even be classified, I don't know).

It’s just “we have information, and he’s a threat”. No elaboration.

I always wonder why people, of which some I really admire, can believe in a thing like a god, anyway.

Why some of them change their religion makes me even wonder more!

But I cannot believe that - unless someone had a stroke, or another brain damage - somebody can change completely!

CS or YI has written so many peace songs.....

He - of all people - should see what happens all over the world! That all kind of idiots, from whom a lot have recently turned to the islam, like he did, are doing all kinds of evil deeds under the flag of this religion...

Okay, after reading all the posts I have pretty much forgotten what started this thread.....lol.

Anyways, after having served a 4 year term in politics myself (albeit small town politics) does it really matter whether a person is Republican, Democrat or whatever party he/she chooses? Politics is politics, dirty behind closed doors games that power hungry adults play. It will never ever matter who the President of the United States is, we as a nation are never going to agree with his/her views, ideals or morals. Does it matter really? Small town politics, doesn't matter what the Mayor thinks, it's up to City Council to vote yes by majority and pass it or vote no and shoot it down......same goes on the State and the Government level. The best thing for us, the common civilians is to get along with each other, do our thing and express ourselves as we see fit. FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM OF PRESS.

Redneck, Umma, Ken, kooperman, Rainbowdemon, myself and many others here have our own beliefs and values to which we all hold dear to our hearts. I enjoy coming here for the humor, the friendship and reading what others type on the boards. I feel when someone expresses their opinions it's a great way to really get to know that person, know what they think, know how he/she feels about all the things that are going on in our world. Some of us believe in God and some of us don't, I think it's great that we can all make our own choices and share our beliefs with one another. As far as Cat Stevens goes he made his choice, he elected to leave this country, no one asked him to leave or forced him to leave. He chose to believe in the Muslim faith and that's his choice........I never have really followed his life so I don't really know what he has done to recieve the Peace Prize, obviously someone felt he has done something good for the world. I think Ben Franklin was really onto something when he said "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall hang separately." So let's all hang together and and have a wonderful time here at BeatKing, the greatest forums on the WWW. :good job:

So let's all hang together and and have a wonderful time here at BeatKing, the greatest forums on the WWW. :good job:

Amen :strumma:

At least, they're done with humor  :lol:

the ONLY reason why i've kept my temper, mostly. oh, that and cause i'm here and the people are way cool (anyone who can put up w/my shit further than my first post is OK w/me).

As buck-toothed dumbbutt as I think Red's political beliefs are, he's got every right to express them, no less or more than our shining, intelligent beliefs. :D

:lol: -----> 'shining, intelligent' :lol:

Okay, after reading all the posts I have pretty much forgotten what started this thread.....lol.

this happens to me a lot (and i HATE to scroll). :lol:

travel some... and spread a little love.

*sigh* if only, Umma. one of the things i NEVER get tired of hearing here is 'you're not like the way i thought ALL amerikans are' to which i go 'THANK YOU' *proud* and i am.

but really, not travelling is a big disadvantage to those in the US (it keeps an 'us against them' attitude going). however, they really don't know it (in an 'ignorance is bliss' type way, i guess). but then again, one must spend SO MUCH money to leave the US and here, it's just a relatively cheap hop over to EU... a very good thing AFAIC, to experience the way others live, IMO (and remember redneck: 'opinions are like assholes--everybody has one') nyah nyah :lol:

ps Umma: believe it or not, I HATE POLITICS AS WELL. (it's just that i feel what the republicans have done to our country fuels my horror and that makes me read further, freak out and talk about it).

but really, not travelling is a big disadvantage to those in the US (it keeps an 'us against them' attitude going)

Maybe for some, but not universally true.

I haven't been outside the U.S. (save for Canada, but I didn't go far and I live very close to the border) and I don't have an "US" and "THEM" attitude.

As a matter of fact, generalizations are near the top of my list of things that annoy me.

Actually, your message could be taken as an "US" and "THEM" attitude.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: can't believe what I have missed since I've been gone :lol::lol::lol::lol: glad I'm back.... that being said.........I have been a friend of Umma's for a long time now and we have talked a bit about what she refered to in the above comments.........and I can greatly understand her reasons for saying what she did........ :)