Major terror attack possible this summer

desdemona

Major terror attack possible this summer

From Kelli Arena

CNN Washington Bureau

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 Posted: 10:08 PM EDT (0208 GMT)

(CNN) -- Several U.S. officials said Tuesday that intelligence indicates there is increasing concern about the possibility of a major terrorist attack on U.S. soil, perhaps as early as this summer.

The attack might take place before the November presidential election in an attempt to affect the outcome, the officials said.

Although there is no specific target, time or date for the possible attack, the information is the culmination of intelligence that has been known and gathered over time -- and it is the assessment that is new, the sources said.

The FBI is likely to issue alerts for several individuals the bureau would like to locate in the coming days, two counterterrorism sources told CNN.

read the article here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/05/25/terror.threat/index.html

I read where they had to declare a state of emergency in georgia to get enough security in place for the G8 summit, life is definitely not the same.

Don't they say that every six months or so? Last time it was near the holidays and New Years as I recall that the terror level went up to orange. I hate ot be cynic, but how much of it is really solid intelligence vs. a slight increase in chatter and so collective behinds of FBI and Homeland Security needs to be covered by putting out a warning?

I guess it is better to safe than sorry though...

Plus if the terrorist hit the US before the election it'll do the Bush campaign a huge favor and it'll give them the "we told you so" slogan to win the election by a landslide.

They say that every other day Wolfie.

All you have to do is turn on CNN, and they're telling everyone we're on super-ultra-bright yellow orange death red alert, and that terrorists are in your backyard, preparing to strike at your lawn gnome.

Be prepared, yes. Don't come on the TV every 5 minutes and tell us an attack is imminent, and then no attack at all. That's not intelligence, that's a wild ass guess.

It's keeping people scared. Like either of them or hate them, the 5 minute bit in 'bowling for columbine' with Marilyn Manson was genius.

Be Afraid!

Don't come on the TV every 5 minutes and tell us an attack is imminent, and then no attack at all.

I agree - there has been too much "cry wolf".

It's fear mongering to put everyone in their place just in time for the election.

Now that's a scary notion.

I agree - there has been too much "cry wolf".

Yea, for some reason they keep calling me all hours of the night. :lol:

Seriously though they keep saying on the news that the terrorists want to try to effect the outcome the election in the US (like in Spain) with an attack. The way I see it an attack would duplicate the conditions (cause fear and anger which would lead to support for the current administration until it sinks in enough for year or two and then the questioning of who screwed up will come along) immediately following 9/11 and would shoot Bush's approval rating through the roof again (at least till the november election anyway) and would make him politically untouchable for another year or so.

In another words the outcome would not similar to what appeared to have happened in Spain as far as the US is concerned. It will be the complete opposite.

In another words the outcome would not similar to what appeared to have happened in Spain as far as the US is concerned. It will be the complete opposite.

Exactly my thoughts.

The US tends to unite even more after an attack. We would not be shaken enough after a terrorist attack to completely throw our political system out of sync.

9/11 taught terrorists that.

It's keeping people scared. Like either of them or hate them, the 5 minute bit in 'bowling for columbine' with Marilyn Manson was genius.

Be Afraid!

remember the killer bees? ;)

Be Afraid!

remember the killer bees? ;)

Yeah, and now there is the mosquitos with West Nile. Just another scare tactic. People wont even go outside as it is. We have had a terrorist threat since Munic, whats new about this one.

I am ready for the bastards though, time to lock and load....... :shootin: :shootin:

Can you say "scare tactics" ?

It's fear mongering to put everyone in their place just in time for the election.

that or they'll fish osama out of wherever or 'find' WMD in iraq. :evil: