Average gas price tops $2/gallon for first time

Bombardier

National gasoline prices crossed the $2 threshold for the first time ever. Fueled by high demand and the rising cost of crude oil, prices already are bumping up against highs forecast for June.

The U.S. average price for retail gasoline burst above the $2 a gallon threshold for the first time ever, jumping 7.6 cents over the last week to a record high $2.017 a gallon on Monday, the government said.

The latest pump price for regular unleaded gasoline is up 52 cents from a year ago, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's (EIA) weekly survey of service stations.

Fuel prices are rising because of strong demand for gasoline and high crude oil prices, which account for almost half the cost of gasoline.

Crude oil traded at another record high on Monday at the New York Mercantile Exchange. The June contract reached $41.85 a barrel before ending the day at $41.55 a barrel.

When adjusted for inflation in 2004 dollars, the highest price was $2.99 a gallon in March 1981, according to the EIA.

The Energy Department's analytical arm has forecast that gasoline will peak at $2.03 a gallon in June, but it now appears the price may go higher.

The Bush administration has been criticized for not taking action to find consumers some relief at the pump.

Democratic presidential challenger John Kerry's campaign said on Monday the administration's national energy plan, which was announced 3 years ago this week, has not reduced U.S. reliance on foreign oil or lowered gasoline prices.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest...51.asp?GT1=3391

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im now paying about $2.50 a gallon. Still a pretty good deal - I still get 400 gallons to a NY omelette

Im now paying about $2.50 a gallon. Still a pretty good deal - I still get 400 gallons to a NY omelette

:rofl:

Yes but in my Suburban I can't get as far on 400 gal of gas as I can walk after eating one good omelette! :rolleyes:

Man I'm taking drivers training this year so hopefully next year we will have flying cars or lower gas prices or something.

Anyone pay freaking $250.00 for drivers training back in the day? I paid $250.00 just for drivers training plus I gotta pay more to get my licenese. This is mad!!

Then I'm trying everywhere to get a job (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and there must be a new law or something cause I have to be 16 to even get an application. Right now I'm 15 and will be 16 on July 4 which is not far away and they still wont hook me up.

So how they expect me to pay for the shit if I don't have a job to get money.

I wonder about this country somedays. I really do.

Man I'm taking drivers training this year so hopefully next year we will have flying cars or lower gas prices or something.

Anyone pay freaking $250.00 for drivers training back in the day? I paid $250.00 just for drivers training plus I gotta pay more to get my licenese. This is mad!!

Then I'm trying everywhere to get a job (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and there must be a new law or something cause I have to be 16 to even get an application. Right now I'm 15 and will be 16 on July 4 which is not far away and they still wont hook me up.

I wonder about this country somedays. I really do.

Driver's training used to be free at my high school... I cant believe you have to pay :reallymad:

It was about $250 for driver's ed when I took it too, and had to pay I think $18 for the license when I finally got it. The high school I transferred to offered driver's ed, and it cost about the same as what I paid for Sears. The district I lived in before didn't offer driver's ed, obviously.

About those gas prices..... I'm fucking tired of hearing people bitch and moan about it... "Our economy isn't made for this" "I HAD TO PAY $30 TO FILL MY TANK!!" It's not like it's a surprise, get over it or find a new way to get around.

About those gas prices..... I'm fucking tired of hearing people bitch and moan about it... "Our economy isn't made for this" "I HAD TO PAY $30 TO FILL MY TANK!!" It's not like it's a surprise, get over it or find a new way to get around.

You go, girl! :shootin: :duck hunt: :shootin:

I don't know if anyone got the current e-mail that's being forwarded around , but there's a boycott scheduled for tomorrow, everyone's trying to avoid buying gas on wednesday may 19, nationally, I know there was some talk about it at work too, many there are participating. I use alot of gas getting to work, I drive an hr one way, so the price of gas is affecting me, this is nothing less than price gauging, why should we get used to it?

I don't know if anyone got the current e-mail that's being forwarded around , but there's a boycott scheduled for tomorrow, everyone's trying to avoid buying gas on wednesday may 19, nationally, I know there was some talk about it at work too, many there are participating. I use alot of gas getting to work, I drive an hr one way, so the price of gas is affecting me, this is nothing less than price gauging, why should we get used to it?

Sounds good.

The email probably won't get too far these days with all the spam filters in place at various ISPs.

I think that people buy to much gas. They just go and drive aimlessly with nowhere to go. I think if we all stoped that then the demand for oil would go down and they would lower prices.

but this is America that would be to much to ask.

It's 2.55 a gallon here in So cal, I drive a 1500HD 4X4 and it takes $80 to fill up the bastard. We are not even in tourist season yet so we'll probably see it around $3.00 by June. :reallymad:

ps I heard about a boycott on buying gas for 1 day this week. Has anybody else heard anything?

Edited by MxRob

It's 2.55 a gallon here in So cal, I drive a 1500HD 4X4 and it takes $80 to fill up the bastard. We are not even in tourist season yet so we'll probably see it around $3.00 by June. :reallymad:

ps I heard about a boycott on buying gas for 1 day this week. Has anybody else heard anything?

Sounds like someone needs to trade in the 4x4 for a Honda Insight -->Allow us(Honda) to cut to the chase, because the Insight once again boasts a best-in-the-U.S. EPA highway mileage of 65 mpg.*

I heard about it.. but I wonder if enough people have heard about to make an impact...I guess the least you could do is your part.. just in case...

No. What kind of impact do you think it would have?

No.  What kind of impact do you think it would have?

I would estimate that it would have about the same impact as the RIAA boycott, future MPAA boycott, or any other boycott. (ie. little to none)

Their are fundamental problems with boycotts. The main one being that the masses cannot ever be organized towards a unified purpose.

Boycotts are so ineffective because people as a whole cannot be controlled and even if they could be, they cannot get our message.

There are a lot of people out there that have never even heard of the lawsuits filed by the RIAA over the last couple of years. Some people don't use the internet.

Heck, a lot of people don't even vote. Trying to get a message out to "everybody" just falls short of deaf ears.

Edited by Bombardier

yes, but it's the principle of the thing bombardier, I know I have no effect on NIKE but I don't buy anything NIKE because of their human rights abuses, they pay inhuman wages and charge exorbitant prices, there are always alternatives, I can live well without supporting companies like this, I may not have an effect on OPEC but it'll make me feel better and I need to do something to show I'm pissed about the price of gasoline.

Anyone pay freaking $250.00 for drivers training back in the day? I paid $250.00 just for drivers training plus I gotta pay more to get my licenese.  This is mad!!

Then I'm trying everywhere to get a job (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and there must be a new law or something cause I have to be 16 to even get an application.  Right now I'm 15 and will be 16 on July 4 which is not far away and they still wont hook me up.

I wonder about this country somedays.  I really do.

I never took drivers ed, I dunno how much it costs in your state to get a license, but in FL your first one is free in FL because you pay the 30 dollar fee when you get your learners permit. Anyways thats nothing.

You want to see madness wait until you see how much youll have to pay for insurance...

Edited by NullsRevenge

Ok, Miss D, I will not buy gas tomorrow... And Nulls, I agree, the insurance companies are out of hand..