Do You Smoke?

Kooperman

Truth be known that is one habbit that i truly need to stop. I will be 51 in August, and have smoked since i was 12. the patch is not an option, as they just wont stick. im one of those folks that perspire a lot, and the patch doesnt cut it. Congrats Shawn, and hang it down, now i guess i will have to try will power. it is a dirty disgusting habbit, and as you get older you will notice that your lungs just cant keep up, for me it is a love of the outdoors, and riding the mountain bike, that is pushing me to quit. As well as wanting to keep breathing long enough to finally see a grand child.

If that doesnt make you want to quit, just think about all the tax money you will be screwing the goverment out of.

Lets see, I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12, and pot when I was 13 or 14. By the time I was 18 I couldn't breathe anymore, so I quit the cigarettes. Ran out one night, and my friend wouldn't give mo one of his or stop at the store, so I said "Fine, fuck you then. I'll quit now, and whenever you run out I won't even have any for you to bum off of."

I didn't smoke tobacco for the next seven years, though I was chronic, wake & bake, spilled more weed on the floor then most people burn 24-7 stoner. Then one night after 7 years I had a cigarette. Next day I was buying a pack...soon I couldn't breathe again, but smoked cigarettes and pot together for 5 or 6 more years.

Got clean and sober in '92, and with only one brief fit of insanity in March '94 where I smoked some pot one night, I have not touched the ganja at all. But the cigarettes have been another story. I quit the regular cigarettes back in '96. But then I got smoking these Clove cigarettes from Indonesia, and these I have smoked on and off. Gudang Garam's are the bomb...tasty, sweet, not doped up with extra nicotine like Marlboros et. al...the only problem is that I can't smoke anymore. I really enjoy smoking, but whenever I start back up within a month I am coughing again, and then within 3-6 months I get fed up and I quit. Last time I quit for any length of time, was from July 2002 to January 2004. Then I got stressed out over some life BS and I started smoking them again. I just decided to quit again--I haven't had a cigarette now since Wednesday night, and I am doing fine.

Whenever I want a cigarette, I take some deep breaths, and put off having the next cigarette for 1 minute, 5 minutes, 1 hour, whatever. Eventually the craving goes away and I forget about it. One of the tools I picked up in AA to quit drinking, along with the Serenity Prayer. All of those tricks for not picking up a drink work for quitting smoking too. As long as I don't have the first one, I'm all set, lol.

i've been smoking (cigs) off and on since i was 17 and felt the need to change to marlboro lights about six months back (from marlboro reds). i've noticed that in EU countries, there isn't such a stigma to be smokefree as in the states, cigs are readily available in machines on the streets here (well at least in DE, Holland and Belgium) and there are always ashtrays on restaurant tables. a pack of cigs cost EUR 4 in DE (less than half what they cost in NYC) but i get them from friends in turkey or portugal and pay less than EUR 3/pack.

I had tried it several times but it just didn't do it for me. I'd get a buzz for a half-hour, then feel sick and break into a cold sweat for another half-hour. I have been told by people that this is normal and is something that I just have to get past. To me, I see no desire to push myself to ultimately destroy my lungs more than Los Angeles air is already doing.

My dad has smoked my whole life and it has taken it's effect both inside and outside of him. I gag on the constant smoke effect that I come into contact with. Just isn't worth it. I view it as a nasty habit with no benefits other than a cheap thrill.

Lord gives it a thumbsdown .

a pack of cigs cost EUR 4 in DE (less than half what they cost in NYC) but i get them from friends in turkey or portugal and pay less than EUR 3/pack.

My brand, Lucky Strike, cost 2.7 here as most brands. I'm thinking of switching to a cheaper brand like Winston. Some Greek brand just released some very cheap yet tastfull stuff that costs only 1 EUR. Everybody says they are ok so perhaps I'll try them

Oh... did I tell you that i'm not planning to quit?

never smoked

ever

i never drank much alcohol either (maybe got drunk a dozen times or so)

i'm a coffee man...lots and lots of coffee, since i was 4

(i'm 28)

never smoked a cig in my life

and dont plan to

i only smoke the wacky baccy sometimes

also a cigar sometimes

also i been drinking tea since 4 :( but i dont plan to stop that

and for beer..only get pished once every few months

never smoked cigs myself.. was brainwashed by this rhyme when I was six and still remember it to this day.

Smoking is bad

Really cool cats don't try it

why would you start

what's not good for your heart

Smoke

it's no Joke!

But for my girlfriend it's another matter. She's been smoking for 3 years now. For some reason, nicorette doesn't suppress urges to smoke the skin flute... but hey... I am not going to complain about that. :lol:

Edited by joeyz

started when i was 14 and used to smoke 60 to 80 a day...got up one morning 18 years ago after a heavy nite feeling god-awful and never smoked another cigarette...and never felt like one ever again...go figure..also haven`t had a drink since 1998...don`t miss that either..pot is my only vice and i doubt if i`ll ever voluntarily give that up...

I don't smoke, not often anyways.

Uh-oh.........

I wonder if I should go fetch the Zeropaid thread........

dun dun dun

Here is a dazed smiley, for no reason............. :wacko:

On a side note, holy snowmanpoop!

I feel outnumbered and sorry for all of you, though, noone likes pitty, so let's pretend I never typed that.

never been a smoker, except all the dope i used to smoke in my teens/early 20s.

If i had to smoke it would be marlboros, they always tasted best to me.

My real weakness is red wine, which i love and also single malt whisky, gin and expensive belgian and czech beer. I'm no alky, but i love a good drink every now and again.

I remember my first cigarette, 6th grade at St. Stans...we used to go around the corner to the "lots" to hang out and smoke...I remember coughing, and feeling dizzy. Why the hell I continued after that? I wanted to be like the other girls...they were older...cooler...then came all the other shit...pot, dust, lsd, ludes..you name it...of course, that was later in life (high school) and that continued for a while (college)...I still smoke cigarettes...stop every once in a while but always go back.

I feel like a hyprocrite when I talk to my kids about it...they just roll their eyes at me..."yeah...oookkkk". I tell them: It's very difficult to quit, one of the most difficult and scary things you'll ever face in your life IF YOU BEGIN. In the back of your mind there's always that lingering thought...what the fvck am I doing? I'm smarter than this...I could REALLY get sick. la di da.....

One thing: I agree that cold turkey is the way to go...and I'll do it AGAIN :rolleyes: but for good? who knows....I still enjoy it. <_>