Top Ten Rock Songs of All Time

According to the British radio station Planet Rock, here are the Top Ten Greatest Rock Songs of all time. Agree or disagree?

1. LED ZEPPELIN - STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

2. LYNYRD SKYNYRD - FREE BIRD

3. QUEEN - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

4. DEEP PURPLE - SMOKE ON THE WATER

5. BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID

6. LED ZEPPELIN - WHOLE LOTTA LOVE

7. THE EAGLES - HOTEL CALIFORNIA

8. LED ZEPPELIN - ROCK AND ROLL

9. AC/DC - HIGHWAY TO HELL

10. THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...p%20rock%20song

I can't see the top ten all time having all three of the led zep songs. They could have substituted a Beatles song easily [maybe hard day's night].

The Stone's Satisfaction should be on that list. A number of Beatle and Phil Spector cuts are also superior. I'd probably also add Wild Thing by the Troggs. Not sure about Deep Purple, but none of these cuts would make it on mine:

LYNYRD SKYNYRD - FREE BIRD

BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID

LED ZEPPELIN - WHOLE LOTTA LOVE

THE EAGLES - HOTEL CALIFORNIA

Aerosmith's "Dream On"

Maybe a Doors song

"Sweet Child Of Mine" by GNR

I'm sure there is plenty more but then again, how could you fit them anywhere? "Top Lists" just don't do any justice.

However, I will always agree that "Stairway to Heaven" is indeed #1, "overplayed" or not.

Edited by Ken

IMO, the top ten should not contain more than one song by any artist, granted these are all great songs. What about "Beth" by Kiss....a ballad but a great song nonetheless. "Enter Sandman" by Metallica........."Yesterday" by the Beatles, well....maybe not Metallica, I lost my mind there for a second. :bigsmile:

WTF, here's my top ten of all time........in no particular order.

Black Sabbath - Ironman

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Pink Floyd - Money

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

Billy Thorpe - Children Of The Sun

Beatles - A Day In The Life

The Kinks - Lola

Aerosmith - Dream On

The Who - Baba O'Reilly

Blackfoot - Highway Song

Damn, I wish it was top twenty instead.......lol

oh god no...not another poll.....they are, in the main, good songs...but they are not the best......and is "hotel california " really a " rock " song?? <_>

my top ten......in no order...

thin lizzy..the boys are back in town

ten years after..i`m going home

david bowie..the ballad of ziggy stardust

lou reed..white light, white heat

hawkwind..silver machine

pink floyd..money

led zeppelin...good times, bad times....

neil young and crazy horse..cinnamon girl

joe walsh...rocky mountain way

joe cocker..with a little help from my friends

Edited by kiwibank

WTF, here's my top ten of all time........in no particular order.

Black Sabbath - Ironman

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Pink Floyd - Money

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

Billy Thorpe - Children Of The Sun

Beatles - A Day In The Life

The Kinks - Lola

Aerosmith - Dream On

The Who - Baba O'Reilly

Blackfoot - Highway Song

Damn, I wish it was top twenty instead.......lol

billy thorpe eh...a great and underrated performer and rock /blues guitarist..had the privilege of meeting him in aussie many years ago and watching him play " children of the sun " at sunbury festival in 1972...too wild.....two standout albums from him..

live at the melbourne town hall..1971.....

" The evening's performance was captured on the album Live At Melbourne Town Hall. Thorpie remembers:

"... to the capacity crowd of 5,000 and the band, it felt like we were standing on a pair of Boeing 747 engines. It cracked the foundations and broke windows in neighbouring buildings!"

live at sunbury festival..1972....

and billy`s book, " sex, thugs and rock & roll " is a good read as well.....

post-53-1104363270.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

Just like The Dude, i cannot tell you how much i hate the Eagles and their weakass shit. conversely, Alabama 3 covered Hotel California (and i skip over that one whenever i play La Peste).

I like that list alot but I'd have to agree with putting Blackfoot - Highway Song and THE EAGLES - HOTEL CALIFORNIA in there too but noones said OZZY ...Hello????? WTF? Any one his tunes should be on there.

Here's my top ten, based on the criteria that they are 1) Rocks songs, 2) their popularity (they were all hit singles) and w) whether they were groundbreaking at the time. They are almost all 60s songs and not necessarily my favorite songs by the artists mentioned. It would probably make more sense to compile top 20 songs of each decade per genre--otherwise I could have included the Kinks and the Troggs on this list, as well as Carole King, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel, all the Motown people like Marvin Gaye, Phil Spector's Be My Baby, on other genre lists.

Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

A Hard Days Night - The Beatles

8 Miles High - The Byrds

My Generation - The Who

Light My Fire - The Doors

OyeComova - Santana

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clear Water Revival

Carol King

No question, she's up there. We should have a thread on her music - she's one of the great song writers of our time

Whatever your personal top then, you are likely to find them here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/i...has-player=true

needs to be at least "Comfortably Numb" , lets see, maybe, uhhh anything like "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" would work........"Light My Fire" would be a good addition and how about something from Queen?

that's like... your opinion  :D

hee hee but you forgot the 'man' as in 'that's just like your opinion, man.' (now i have to watch it for the 100th time)

but this is why i usually don't post on music topics--cause i hate most of the stuff others like and the stuff i dig, nobody else does (there--i've said it). :lol:

and the stuff i dig, nobody else does

How would we know? It's a music forum--inquring minds want to know--what kind of music does SG like? :lol: Can SG meet the challenge??????