London bombs

Malicious Intent

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

London hit by multiple blasts......

A number of people were killed in a series of explosions on London's transport system at rush hour on Thursday morning, causing chaos in the British capital, police and transport officials said.

Several blasts hit the underground network and police said there had been at least three explosions on buses in the city.

A source at the Metronet consortium that runs part of the capital's underground network said "there were three explosions and there have been some fatalities".

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the blasts had caused "terrible injuries".

more here........

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/596546

post-86-1120735656.jpg

"It is important that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to impose extremism on the world," Blair said.

I've got a million thoughts running through my head. Blair has done so much to make up for the iraq war, we were just putting this whole terrorism BS behind us, G8, power in the EU, Olympics, etc, then this happens.

Blair is the natural person to rally behind. It is great seeing Blair heading straight to London, compared to certain other leaders.

But then it is not the terrorist that I fear. We are strong enough to survive the IRA, and we can fucking well survive these people too. The biggest threat to our civil liberties and way of life now is the man I'm standing behind - Tony Blair.

Islamic group says it carried out attacks

Cairo — A group calling itself “The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe” has posted a statement of responsibility for the series of blasts in London, saying they were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The statement, which also threatened attacks in Italy and Denmark, was published on a Web site popular with Islamic extremists, according to Elaph, a secular Arabic-language news Web site, and Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin.

“Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan,” said the statement, translated by The Associated Press in Cairo.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../International/

(IsraelNN.com) Army Radio quoting unconfirmed reliable sources reported a short time ago that Scotland Yard had intelligence warnings of the attacks a short time before they occurred.

The Israeli Embassy in London was notified in advance, resulting in Finance Minister Binyamin Netanyahu remaining in his hotel room rather than make his way to the hotel adjacent to the site of the first explosion, a Liverpool Street train station, where he was to address and economic summit.

At present, train and bus service in London have been suspended following the series of attacks. No terrorist organization has claimed responsibility at this time.

Israeli officials stress the advanced Scotland Yard warning does not in any way indicate Israel was the target in the series of apparent terror attacks.

So why did they say it was a power surge? Why did it take so fucking long to say it was terrorists if they knew it was going to happen?

I'd better start saving up for my ID card :(

My personal thoughts on this, is that it should have been expected. With the G8 going on, security was concentrating on it, and not the possibility of it being used as a distraction for an attack. Also with this possibility, what the hell was the mayor doing in Singapore? In these turbuliant times it should be blatently obvious that any major gathering could be used as a distraction.

1002 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident"

0940 British Transport Police say power surge incidents have occurred on the Underground at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations

Sounds like Scotland Yard didn't completely screw up - it was BTP who said a power surge, not Scotland Yard.

But even so, if they knew they should have done a lot more. We were promised that everyone would be told if there was a specific threat.

Depends how long there was in that "short time" before the attacks.

2 dead so far. That is a friendly handshake compared to what the IRA have done.

Edited by Malicious Intent

I would be quite interested to know the time frame of the power surges, and the problems in the tubes. Surges could have been caused by the sudden shutdown of subway engines, or could have been intentionally done to cause collisions/general confusion down there.

Edited by The Hunter

I'm safe where I am Hunter, nothing but fields to bomb, but this is the most depressed I've been since.... well, I'm shaking a bit. I never thought I would feel this way.

:,(

It's a horrible feeling... :nope:

Goddess...let us know you're alright. :(

Warflower, thank you (i'm about 150 miles west of London). Chris told me about 10AM and i mailed all our London friends...only a few got back to me, then i txtd the rest. i was pretty nervous cause they all take the Tube apart from Dave...the rest phoned our landline, it took a few hours, till 1PM but everyone is safe, everyone that i know, thank fuck (and the band was at Luton Airport on their way to Prague).

Blair is the natural person to rally behind. It is great seeing Blair heading straight to London, compared to certain other leaders.

exactly what i thought, MI. i saw blair's first press conf from Scotland this morning and then bush spoke. at one point he said something about remembering 9/11 and his reactions and i was all 'what the fuck are you talking about? you sat in a little chair reading 'my pet goat' while the towers burned and then you hid... i've been watching BBC news all day and haven't yet seen a repeat of that particular segment.

i so hope bu$hCo won't use this against US but i know they will. :mad:

On a side note, the Egyptian ambassador that was abducted in Iraq has been killed.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/07/07/iraq.main/

It looks like they're going full scale now.

I worry about the other the European countries listed in the article.

They're probably very susceptible to simple bus bombs (like those in Israel). As a matter of fact, I can't think of a country that isn't susceptible to bus bombings. They're simple yet deadly.

Glad to hear that you're OK MI. Stay out of harms way.

I've been through all the emotions - shock, cynocism, anger - but I've suffered nothing that the victims have :(

It has made me think so much, but more questions than answers.

As I think of the suffering this has caused, I think about how this is a daily ritual for the Iraqis.

Everyone I know is fine. One close shave, but in a "brother of a friend who knew someone who once saw a train" sort of way.

The train stations are open again. Gridlock seems to be the biggest issue at the moment - so that is also back to normal! Reports are that the tube wil be open again tomorrow.

This time tomorrow and London will be on its feet again. Wont be as easy for the families involved.

The politians are saying that they will not let the terrorist stop our open way of life. By that I hope they mean they will not be introducing big brother measures. I've only heard ID cards mentioned once, but thankfully it was to say that they would not have stopped these attacks and introducing them would be a win for terrorists.

But this "they hate freedom" thing is crap, so I dont know. Bush talks about taking the war to them. Since there is no connections between Iraq and 9/11, perhaps this was them bringing the war to us.

I'm sure my opinions will change a few more times over the coming days :)

I'm safe where I am Hunter, nothing but fields to bomb, but this is the most depressed I've been since.... well, I'm shaking a bit. I never thought I would feel this way.

:,(

I remember the feeling well concerning 9-11 here. I still feel that way when I think how Bush used that tragedy as a springboard to trample our country's constitution and create an explosive situation affecting every country in Europe and beyond.

I hope Tony Blair doesn't follow a similar script.

i just woke up and heard there was a bomb on the train at Swindon, MI are you OK? or is this something that happened way before and i somehow missed it?

haha, you're ok, i just saw you:

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users) 2 Members: slum_goddess, Malicious Intent

:)