London bombs

Malicious Intent

i took that to mean things like (more) privacy intrustions, like that. about bush, we all learnt ages ago that whatever he says has to be taken as totally the opposite. (is this what you mean? i'm too stoned to wanna think about him, i came here to post something else, lol)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a short lived fanfare.

Blair promised no new legislation. What he failed to mention was that he will use these deaths to prop-up controversial sections of the counter-terrorism bill. No /new/ law - but the same one just even more draconian than I could have imagined.

Politicians always include stupid sections in a new bill. The government then pushes to keep those stupid sections in order to avoid discussion on what they want to keep. Sad thing is, I will now mark it as a win if the worst sections of the anti-terror bill are not kept, when the whole thing is an invasion of our lives.

I knew thinking that Blair's and my view of a liberal society aligned was stupid. I didn't know I could so badly interpret "no amount of surveillance in the world could have stopped this". Perhaps he is aiming for more surveillance than there is in the world.

They were also running drills for bombs going off simultaniously at the same locations at the same time as the real bombs. Conspiracy? The guy organising the drills certainly appears shocked, calling it surreal. Bells ring with the CIA running drills of flying planes into the twin towers at the exact same time on the same day as it actually happened.

Here's an anti-terrorist plan - stop drilling for it and it will stop coming true!

According to the latest reports, the bombers are home grown and at least 3 of the 4 are dead. The first suicide bombers in western europe?

Not even their friends and family knew they were bombers. They identified one of the bombers as his family reported him as one of the missing. From there they used CCTV to find the others he was with.

Last night I watched a Newsnight report. They had that American speachwriter guy who coined the term axis of evil. He was very good and quite convincing that people living in a democracy are less likely to turn to violence as an answer. I know I go on that we arent a democracy as Blair's party represents a minority, but I still think we can forget that view now we know they were home-grown.

Being home-grown is going to present a lot of problems. There is news that the British National Party are making further gains. For those who dont know, the BNP are a bunch of racists. They say close off our borders and kick out anyone without white skin. Their leader, Nick Griffen, proposed that we should vote for them as the Muslim population has spread as the Koran promotes raping teenage girls. They are a nasty, nasty group. I used to consider them a protest vote until I heard what they really stand for. Sadly anyone who just thinks that England should be kept for the English considers them as a vote, without knowing what they really stand for.

Sources: all over

I was kinda hoping you guys were more enlightened than our creeps... Bush's analogy to 911 is a bit off--more like Oklahoma - but we will see

Here's an anti-terrorist plan - stop drilling for it and it will stop coming true!

Exactly

BRITAIN'S SUICIDE BOMBERS

The four young men who carried out the London terror attacks were British-born suicide bombers, police sources have told Sky News.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13385127,00.html

post-86-1121234433.jpg

Blair promised no new legislation. What he failed to mention was that he will use these deaths to prop-up controversial sections of the counter-terrorism bill. No /new/ law - but the same one just even more draconian than I could have imagined...

...I didn't know I could so badly interpret "no amount of surveillance in the world could have stopped this". Perhaps he is aiming for more surveillance than there is in the world.

They were also running drills for bombs going off simultaniously at the same locations at the same time as the real bombs. Conspiracy? The guy organising the drills certainly appears shocked, calling it surreal.

welcome to the ass-backwards, black-is-white, bu$hCo world, MI. :(

America's latest threat: Londonstan

America's neo-cons are complaining that London is now one of the biggest threats to world peace. This is just too much:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/s...1526616,00.html

So let me get this straight. We help another country attack a third country for habouring terrorists whilst being critised for habouring terrorists ourselves by the country we are helping? To make it worse, they say we are habouring terrorists as we are doing something as irresponsible as thinking Muslims are human???

Will they rest before accusing every non-fascist, non-christian-only country of habouring terrorists?

Anyone who politically trusts George Bush and the rabid hatemongers who keep him in power here will eventually be betrayed by these delusional "Christian" soldiers. The truth is that the current leadership of the United States is the greatest danger to world peace ever seen.

Bomb suspect's family 'shattered'

The uncle of one of the suspected London suicide bombers said his family had been "left shattered" by the news.

Bashir Ahmed, 65, could not believe Shehzad Tanweer, who studied religion in Pakistan, was responsible. "It must have been forces behind him," he said.

Police hunting the masterminds behind the attacks are seeking a fifth person - not thought to be one of the bombers.

Anti-terror officers have also raided "residential premises" in Aylesbury, Bucks, in connection with the bombings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4679001.stm

'Ordinary' lives of bomb suspects

Three young men from West Yorkshire were killed in last Thursday's bomb blasts in London.

Initially they would have been treated as victims. Now, they are suspected perpetrators of the UK's first suicide bomb attack.

Personal details suggest they lived typically low-key, suburban, "ordinary" lives.

Shehzad Tanweer, 22, was born in Bradford but lived most of his life in the Beeston area of Leeds.

He was a sports science graduate whose only obsession, according to friends, was cricket.

In 2004, he was arrested for disorderly conduct and cautioned.

His father, of Pakistani origin, owns a fish and chip shop near their home on Colwyn Road.

His uncle, Bashir Ahmed, 65, said the family was "shattered" by the revelation that he appeared to have been involved.

"He was proud to be British," he said. "He had everything to live for. His parents were loving and supportive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4678837.stm

Bomb investigation far from over.

Tuesday's developments mark a major breakthrough but the investigation into last week's London bombings still has a long way to go.

The key focus will be in trying to track any infrastructure around the four identified bombers.

It is almost inconceivable that the four individuals could have acted by themselves.

A group of apparently unknown, mostly very young men like this, might have the intent to "do something" but having the capability of turning that intent to action would require tapping into broader expertise.

The best evidence for this comes from the explosives used - high grade plastic explosives which are understood not to have been home-made.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4678807.stm

My appologies for looking like a spammer with these posts, but I felt that as many people dont get away from the North American media enough, these updates needed to be posted. Although it would appear that the members are very well read.

Will they rest before accusing every non-fascist, non-christian-only country of habouring terrorists?

i don't think so, not as long as bu$hCo's in power. :wacko:

thank you for the posts, Hunter. :)

London Suspects: Young Men Led Dual Lives

LEEDS, England (AP) - Every week, 22-year-old Shahzad Tanweer joined friends for games of soccer and his beloved cricket.

Hasib Hussain, 19, was a charmer who liked to flirt. He wore blue contact lenses and hair so long that one friend said it ``fell like a curtain'' atop his lanky frame.

Thirty-year-old Mohammed Sidique Khan worked as a counselor in a youth center. He seemed to spend more time in the gym than the mosque.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...5138913,00.html

post-86-1121317197.jpg

AN OVERWHELMING majority of the public would back tough new measures to try to reduce the threat of terrorist attacks following last Thursday’s bombings.

A Populus poll for The Times, undertaken between Friday and Sunday, highlighted stark divisions in attitudes between people living in London and the South East, and those in the rest of the country. The further away from London respondents lived, the stronger their support for tough new measures.

The poll showed that the vast majority of Londoners intended to stick to their normal travel plans despite the attacks. Those living the furthest away from the capital were the most likely to change their travel plans or abandon trips to London.

A large majority supported measures to reduce the threat of any future terrorist attacks. Nearly nine out of ten favoured giving the police new powers to arrest people they suspect of planning terrorist acts (86 per cent), tighter controls on who comes into the country (88 per cent) and security check and baggage inspections at stations (89 per cent).

More than two thirds of the public (70 per cent) backed an increase in police powers to stop and search people on the street, while three fifths (61 per cent) said that they supported the introduction of ID cards. There are were marked regional variations.

Those living the furthest away from London were the strongest supporters of tough action.While 95 per cent of Scots support security checks and baggage inspections at stations, 84 per cent in London and the South East back this measure.

Working-class respondents were stronger supporters than the middle classes of giving the police new powers. While 93 per cent of unskilled workers wanted the police to have new powers to arrest people suspected of planning terrorist acts, 79 per cent of professionals and managers did so.

Security checks and baggage inspections at stations were backed by 92 per cent of women and 85 per cent of men.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22...1690261,00.html

:o

The stupid thing is that the police are standing up and saying they already have all the powers they need. There is also concern that more powers will be damaging as it will alienate the very people the police need support from.

stark divisions in attitudes between people living in London and the South East, and those in the rest of the country. The further away from London respondents lived, the stronger their support for tough new measures.

Those living the furthest away from London were the strongest supporters of tough action...

Working-class respondents were stronger supporters than the middle classes of giving the police new powers....

in essence, the same deal applies to the states--those away from big cities (between the two coasts) are afraid of attacks and wanting more 'security' (freedoms lost), NYers and other urban area dwellers where terra is likely to hit, they're mostly all 'meh.' (IMO, your mileage may vary)

Probably there shouldnt be any humor in this thread, but doesnt that boy bomber look like Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

Police Ask Public to Help Trace a Bomber; Homemade Explosive Is Now Hinted

LONDON, July 14 - The British police on Thursday made public images of an 18-year-old suspected suicide bomber, Hasib Mir Hussain, and asked the public for help in tracing his movements in the hours before he boarded a double-decker bus in central London.

http://nytimes.com/2005/07/15/internationa...15bombings.html

post-86-1121419320.jpg

i just found this, we saw a minute or two of news from the states after the London explosions last week, Chris and i just looked at each other...what a difference in the overall tone. i guess this has always been going on...totally depressing.

broken english

In the aftermath of the London explosions last Thursday, celebrity show The Insider led with the shrieking headline "Where was Madonna when the bombs went off?" Although valid entertainment news followed - theaters in the West End were dark, and an open-air concert by R.E.M. in Hyde Park had been canceled - the damage was done. The tastelessness was transcendental, and the only satisfactory solution would have been to unceremoniously shoot the producer responsible in the back of the head. Once again, American TV proved how seriously incapable it is of covering historic events with maturity or even accuracy...

...By 8 p.m. on Thursday night, all one could do was cry thank heavens for Keith Olbermann on MSNBC's Countdown, who finally asked the question that had been avoided all through the day. "President Bush told the nation, 'We're fighting the terrorists overseas so we don't have to fight them on our streets,' but today we are fighting them on our streets. Did we win or lose?"

...For even more adult coverage of the attacks, one needed only to see how the Brits were doing it themselves, either on BBC America's BBC World News or NWI's ITN News. Britain may have some of the most lurid tabloids on the planet, but its TV news keeps its dignity, and watching the Brit anchors avoid the repetitive hysteria that supposedly sells on this side of the Atlantic was a lesson in how to inform a shocked public without exacerbating the shock. Words were carefully chosen. The miraculously low death toll was played up. Viewers heard "calm," "resilient," and "defiant," where the U.S. favorites had been "fear," "terror," and "helpless." The Brits were also talking in terms of a massive criminal investigation, rather than ramping up the war talk..

Probably there shouldnt be any humor in this thread, but doesnt that boy bomber look like Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

If you are going to joke, at least make it sick and tasteless enough for the English to find it funny :lol:

Great article Slum. As all the politians are waving the bloody shirt, I needed a "it could be worse" article.

I tell myself not to go to Prison Planet.com, but I like the questions they ask even if not the conclusions they draw.

They quoted Tony Blair saying that he has admitted al-Qaeda doesn't exist. It didn't take long to find nearly all the quote, which puts a different, but very interesting spin on it:

"Al-Qaeda is not an organization. Al-Qaeda is a way of working ... but this has the hallmarks of that approach," Blair said of the attacks, which killed 54 people, including four bombers. "Al-Qaeda clearly has the ability to provide training ... to provide expertise ... and I think that is what has occurred here."

Anyone who has watched BBCs Power of Nightmares has been screaming for the last 2-3 years that al-qaeda doesn't really exist. It is only "Bu$hCo" that says it is a highly organised, underground network to scare people out of their better judgment. Politicians in this country have been parroting it to.

So is this Blair finally coming clean? Al-qaeda is a brand name, or "a way of working", not an organisation?

Is that how anyone else would interpret that comment?

The thing about Blair is I love what he has got to say. Sadly his actions /never/ match his words. He will now march on, fighting this invisible enemy - claiming that we can't see it because they are so advanced, not because they don’t exist.

Going back to your post Slum. I thought this was posted earlier, but it wasn't. The question is, are the BBC a fair and neutral source for facts, or outright PC?

BBC prefers 'bombers' to 'terrorists'

July 13, 2005

The people who attacked the London Underground weren't "terrorists," they were "bombers," according to the BBC.

The British TV network is making a distinction between the two on its Web site, according to the London Daily Telegraph.

The BBC edited articles to eliminate descriptions of the attackers as "terrorists," the Telegraph said. The articles reportedly were changed to call the attackers "bombers."

A spokesman for the TV network told the newspaper that, "The word 'terrorist' is not banned."

But BBC guidelines say the term should be avoided, the Telegraph reported. Carelessly using words that carry value judgments erodes credibility, the guidelines are quoted as saying, and "terrorist" can get in the way of understanding.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/terror/cst-nws-tedit13.html

If you are going to joke, at least make it sick and tasteless enough for the English to find it funny :lol:

:lol:

The thing about Blair is I love what he has got to say. Sadly his actions /never/ match his words.

he's been sucking bu$hCo's diseased dick for WAY the fuck too long, i just don't get it (unless the karlrove pigmonster has some blackmail material hanging over Blair).

about this: 'Carelessly using words that carry value judgments erodes credibility, the guidelines are quoted as saying, and "terrorist" can get in the way of understanding,' if only TV presenters in amerika would be so concerned about credibility, we'd (amerikans) all be a lot more on top of things to make our own choices whether or not to be frightened. :mad:

Doesn't sound like he did anything wrong Hunter. They can't and shouldn't follow him for ever. They decided that he was not a threat and left him alone - that is a good thing.

If everyone who visits a mosque which has had a speaker condeming the actions of the West is a suspect, which by the current logic they are, then they should be placed under surveillance. With 1000 extra spies, that is a possibility and should be of big concern to the muslim community and everyone in this country.

The news goes on about watching the bombers etc, but how much would that of even helped? Supposedly, bombers dont know what the target is or what their role would be until the last minute.

Furthermore, police are investigating if the bombers even knew that they would die. They suspect the bombers may have been told that the trigger was just the button for the timer, given that they carried ID, got return train tickets, bought a pay-and-display ticket for their hire-car, etc.