Do you use ogg files?

method77

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use ogg files?

• yes
    • no

I have started using ogg files for quite a while now. Ogg Vorbis files are appearing more and more now in networks so that means people are starting to use them quite a lot now. Oggs are slightly bigger but many people say they sound a lot better than regular mp3s. Do you use them?

Ogg Vorbis FAQ

It was a genuine question Method. Ogg threads seem pop up now and again, but I'm still unclear as to the advantage of them. I would have thought, with the small difference between ogg and mp3, that the encoder was just as important as the file type it is being encoded to?

I use many formats. I don't have to stick to anything.

On the newsgroups, I go for lossless APE, FLAC, etc.....

I'll take some quality OGGs too, if I can get them. I also get good quality MP3s.

For encoding, I use APE for my own personal backups, and i'll share alt-preset-standard MP3s, and high quality OGGs.

I like to listen to music on my .mp3 player... so I encode in alt-preset LAME/EAC... I try to stay away from .ogg files, since I like the idea of being able to listen to it on the go.

OGGs aren't bad; it is cool that they are an open and free standard (unlike those damned Franhaufer people and their meddling w/ .mp3s and charging royalties for players), but they haven't really caught on in the real world.

A while ago I ripped The Cure - Disintegration into both mp3 nd ogg formats and listened with my awesome Sennheisers and the ogg was nicer. I don't remember what bitrate either was at. Perhaps I'll try the experiment again with a few different albums.... perhaps when I have more than a gig of free space.

A while ago I ripped The Cure - Disintegration into both mp3 nd ogg formats and listened with my awesome Sennheisers and the ogg was nicer. I don't remember what bitrate either was at. Perhaps I'll try the experiment again with a few different albums.... perhaps when I have more than a gig of free space.

you and your awesome headphones :P

I was hoping that ogg would take off but it really hasn't. Everything plays mp3 just about. car cd players, personal, boom boxes and on and on. I guess I will stick with mp3. If I ever switch it will be a heck of a job converting.

Those Sennheiser headphones must be quite nice.

The drawback is the $350 price tag, but to anyone who is serious about listening to music, they should pick up a pair :)

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/04974

Those are mine. It's not too hard to hear the differences in sound quality with these.

i would like to but my mini disc doesnt support ogg files..(i think) so..fuck em..FUCK EM

yep

compared to mp3 its

same size for better quality

same quality for smaller size

but i still dont use them :wacko:

EDIT: why did i quote you jipper :wha': meant to quote potato

Edited by cube

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very good point about the supported formats on portable devices.

More support for OGG on these devices is needed, but in order for that to happen, people need to be aware of OGG!

Non-tech people, and many of the "average" common P2P users (run-of-the-mill fasttrack users) don't even know what an "OGG" is. Therefore, it's not likely to attract much attention from the corporate world.

I ripped some stuff to ogg yrs ago when it first came out and I couldn't see much diff either in quality or size. :wha': I liked it cause it is open source but I now have too much invested in mp3 to mess with any other format. <_>