I made it!!! Anyone else graduating this year?

cjules13

Well after 3.5 years of full-time work and full-time toiling, I graduated on Saturday with a MSEE from University of Illinois-Chicago.

I kinda floated through my bachelor's at a different school, but this turned out to be a no BS situation with ridiculous amounts of work.

Good news is that I made and got "hooded" or so they say (you end up with a hood being added to the already gay regalia they make you wear that day anyway...) :P

Feels good to be a hood...

With May/June approaching, anyone else due for a degree? High School? Associate's? Bachelor's? Master? Doctors?

They're all huge accomplishments and you should be proud!

:dancin:

They party Saturday night was legendary... I was apparently "taken home" at one point, but I sure don't remember much past 1am... :jammintwo:

CJules is being modest. I dont know about you guys, but I know the difference between a ruler and a slide rule, but that's about as much of an engineer as I will ever be. Congrats, dude!!!

:good job: :dancin: :Here's to you: :dancin: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :good job:

Yeah, I suppose Motorola deserves some credit too, after all they footed the bill for the whole thing. And when they foot the bill, they sure don't give you any breaks at work - we still have some mandatory overtime even for those in school - they try to weed out all non-hackers I guess.

[PLUG]

So remember that Motorola is the only US-based cell phone company - of note anyway. Support your US economy by choosing the Motorola brand over Nokia or Samsung. Not only are they generally higher quality and have the favored clam-shell design, you'll help keep this important US technology company going. Buying Samsung and LG ends up forcing even more labor overseas.

Even though MOT is doing some outsourcing itself, all the core designs and concepts are developed within the US. Also remember that Motorola makes cable boxes, cable modems, routers, and home cordless phones as well.

Nextel is a complete Motorola end-to-end system as well - although more pricey, the walkie-talkie feature and great covereage often make a wise investment...

[/PLUG]

Thanks for all the kudos guys!

Any company that supports its employee's education is ok in my books. Here's to Motorola :good job: :Here's to you:

Congrats dude! Time is no big thing - I took 6 years for my undergrad. Making sure it's done right and it's what you really want is more importanat than doing it fast.

Although I was pretty impressed with the guys who could zoom through in 4 and still get it right!

Congrats Crywolf (I think you hail from CTC's territorial province, one of our overlords at BK--see him for the Champagne bubbly compliments) Anyway congrats again: :psychofun: :good job: :jammintwo: :jammin: :scratchin: :Here's to you: :dancin: :frog: :frog:

(And sorry MI, more penance and whips for you for another 3 weeks :lol: )

I should have 14 weeks left, but have been considering other options. If I'm willing to go one more year b4 law school (or hey, if I don't get in right now) I can get a prettier degree.

:good job: :good job: :good job: :good job:

Here's to all of you.... I don't care where you go to school or how long it took!

Sincere Congratulations from a Jurassic Redneck.

:good job: :good job: :good job: :good job:

Congrats to you all!!! :bow: :good job:

About motorola...they are a badass company...TOTALLY respect and donate tons to education. They built multiple classrooms/wings in our engineering center and even started their own course that they teach (I think its like motorola microprocessors). They also built a huge lab at the ASU research park...I love them!!!

Congrats first to cjules! :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: I remember you telling me at ZP you were working on an engineering degree--awesome job! Graduate school is a whole other animal compared to getting a bachelors (though I mean no slight to anyone getting one of those too). I somehow got my bachelor's while playing in a band, following the Dead around and completely wasted every day...I had a lot more energy back in those days, but the eighties (including the 6 years I took to graduate from college) were definitely a blur! No possible way I could have done graduate school that way...the workload definitely separates the men from the boys. Now writing 20 page papers are like eating candy bars and 400 page books are milk and cookies...and that's just before breakfast, lol!

I have a motorola i60 cell phone btw! I'll keep your advice in mind when I go to get my 2-year upgrade in September.

Good job Crywolf! :good job: PC is just a hop skip and a jump from RIC where I am working on my MA in History. I have just finished my last (YAY) course before the final 'directed graduate research' and now I am researching my thesis and writing a couple of papers to finish up an incomplete. I still haven't heard back from the graduate committee about my thesis topic, but the director of the graduate program accepted my proposal last month and told me to get working on it, so that's what I'm doing. I need to finish all the research and composition before I go back to work teaching full time in the fall, so its going to be a busy summer. Then I hope to defend it successfully in the fall and gradumicate in December. I'll probably do the whole cap and gown thing though next spring; after all this work I think I deserve it!

Shawn, Malicious Intent, Jippers, Potato, and anyone else going to school this semster--kudos to you all guys (and gals) too. This college stuff is not for the daunted or faint of heart, and anyone who is going to college and ultimately graduates, no matter how long it may take, has accomplished a remarkable achievement. Make sure you all keep us updated!

Another round of bouncing frogs to all of BK's collegiate comrades!!!

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

I somehow got my bachelor's while playing in a band, following the Dead around and completely wasted every day...

I knew we had a lot in common :bigsmile: Who would have thought we would be the guys who would end up with Masters degrees???! In my case, I graduated with the highest honors possible at the University of California system-wide. I dont say that to boast - but to make a point to all the viewers out there reading this thread that you can do anything you want and go as far as you want to go if you goferit - even if you were a stoner and didn't come from money, or whatever else you think might be holding it back.

Congrats to all!! And let CJUles, CTC's and the others in this thread be an inspiration to all of us strumma:

... i am always happy when i can make it through a day at school (i work in a school) ...

so kudos to those of the graduating class of 2004 ... in deed, congratulations, indeed!!

: )

Edited by reg