Protest To Aim At Equal Topless Rights

Kooperman

Protest To Aim At Equal Topless Rights

POSTED: 9:03 am EST March 2, 2004

UPDATED: 1:07 pm EST March 2, 2004

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- There's a topless protest being planned this weekend in Daytona Beach, at the end of Bike Week.

Liz Book of Ormond Beach is among the organizers. She hopes to lead a thousand "top-free" women and men along a half-mile of Main Street from the pier to the bridge. The goal is to add Daytona Beach to the small but growing list of places that allow women to show their breasts openly, just like men.

Even if only two people join her protest, she plans to still go through with it. City officials and police are mostly taking a wait-and-see approach, in part because the city's ordinance allows nudity when it is clothed in political protest.

Book's husband, Robert Van Winkle, bailed her out in 1998 when she was arrested for baring her breasts inside the Full Moon Saloon. A group of women in Brevard County, known as the "Topfree Ten" have filed a federal lawsuit seeking the right to go shirtless in non-sexual contexts wherever men do, during such outside activities as beachgoing or gardening.

http://www.wftv.com/news/2888490/detail.html

I suggest an International Topless week!

I can't say that I support equal rights to toplessness. I can live without man-boobs flashing around.

I can't say that I support equal rights to toplessness. I can live without man-boobs flashing around.

Then that means you don't want to see former heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman, now over 50 years old, coming out of retirement yet again?

This is what happens at a board that consists of mostly males huh?

I don't think there would be that many girls walking around topless honestly if they could without getting arrested. And.... a lot of guys aren't that trustworthy. I bet sexual assault accusations would soar.

I don't think there would be that many girls walking around topless honestly if they could without getting arrested. And.... a lot of guys aren't that trustworthy. I bet sexual assault accusations would soar.

Topless women at Daytona are nothing new there, it's part of the bikers culture. They are trying to stop it at all the rallys like Sturgis.

Man we are so up tight here in the US compared to Europe. Everybody is afraid of the Breasts :I value your imput:

Here at the Kentucky Derby horse race every spring it's become commonplace for young women in the infield area (encircled by the oval racetrack), which is a party-down area, to flash the crowd and unsuspecting TV cameramen. Same happens in New Orleans at the Mardi Gras...a cultural phenomenon.

oh, you boys. ;) we were at summer sundae (leicester, england) and there were many girls walking around topless. then again, it was 102, broke the record that one day. but i'm pretty sure the same goes on at glastonbury &c. it's no big thing; very refreshing actually.

I don't think its a big deal. I wouldn't walk around topless, but that doesn't mean that other women shouldn't have the choice.

But women should realize that if it is allowed, then be prepared for sexual comments. You never know, with time maybe the novelty of it will ware off and no one will care anymore.

women should realize that if it is allowed, then be prepared for sexual comments.  You never know, with time maybe the novelty of it will ware off and no one will care anymore.

depending upon where you're situated, of course. i wouldn't walk around w/o a shirt in NYC but over here, nobody raises an eyebrow. (sorry to keep on harping on this all over but living here has been a real education for me.)

I think it'll cause problems....

1) Men will get jealous of other men looking at their girlies ( o )( o )

2) More women will be accused of being provocative "She was asking for it yer honour, she had her tits out"

3) Men will permanently have to lie face down on the beach getting sand kicked in their face by brazen hussies with no tops on.

umma, i would think no. 1 would be decided before the couple goes out, no. 2 just might not happen due to peer pressure (the desire to appear cool) and about no. 3...i know some dudes who would pay for that so i don't think it would be a problem. :lol: