Psychedelic Drugs May Be Legalized

DudeAsInCool

Psychedelic drugs are inching their way slowly but surely toward prescription status in the United States, thanks to a group of persistent scientists who believe drugs like ecstasy and psilocybin can help people with terminal cancer, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, to name just a few.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,6...tw=wn_tophead_1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting artical... but I wish there had been more information about exactly how pslocybin improves the condition of a patient with one of these disorders/deseases.

It cured me! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Doesn't E mess up your spine?

Ive heard some bad reports about Ecstacy - but that is one drug Ive never tried. We need an expert to comment on that...

An answer from the Netherlands, but do not think that I'm experienced with those drugs. I never used anything besides hemp and what the PD prescribed, such as Zoloft and oxazepam (tranquilizer). (which are REAL hard drugs)

But: I never heard any negative rumours about those drugs. They won't harm you as long as your mind is healty and you do NOT take double doses. And of course, do not mix drugs or drugs with alcohol. (which is a hard drug as well)

The worst thing that can happen with E is, that there is a possibility you get something else instead.

In our country you can have your pills tested on being real extacy.

My 24-year old daughter has RSD, and to relieve her pain she uses hemp.

Her neurologist (right word?) tells her that blowing is much more inocent than 'taking the pills that I subscribe...' he says!

(I wonder what extacy would do to her? Maybe she ought to try it....

If anyone has experience with it, please tell me....)

And in the adiction-clinics that I visited, every time when my former husband was in one, I never met people who were there for those drugs. Most of the patients were there because of alcohol, legal drugs, gambling & anorexia.

LSD was used for treating alcoholism in the late 50s early 60s with phenomonal sucess. It is useful in treating a lot of psychological problems due to its ability to allow people to delve deeply into their subconscious . It should be allowed to be used for these purposes under medical conditions.

Edited by rastaX

LSD was used for treating alcoholism in the late 50s early 60s with phenomonal sucess. It is useful in treating a lot of psychological  problems due to its ability to allow people to delve deeply into their subconscious .

I wonder if you could achieve the same results from very focused meditation....

Edited by joeyz

I believe that drugs can be beneficial such as helping relieve pain pain but I also feel that some people lose sight of just how powerful Any drug can be when used improperly. There are many legalized drugs that people become dependent upon as well, so I feel people need to really take a closer look upon using drugs and using them appropriately. Also like Joe suggests it would be nice to look at more safer alternatives like meditation because drugs always have a side effect that may not necessarily feel good either. I just want people to consider how their drug use affects the people they care about.

I wonder if you could achieve the same results from very focused meditation....

With all due respect, ya ever try to get an alcoholic to focus?

Really, the value was that it did the trick without too much effort. It was not the type of thing they just gave to someone to take home, it was used under strict clinical situations, the patient was supervised and guided through the entire session. It was an accelerated therapy session that often resulted in life changing revelations for the patient that enabled them to give up their dependence on alcohol. It was a tool, not a cure.

I am a proponent of moderate drug use - for many purposes. I wasn't necessarily commenting on the treatment of alcoholism. I was curious about the use of meditation as a means to treat psychological disorders. I think if LSD can do the trick I am all for it... but think it'd also be cool to do some research to see if meditation would have a similar effect.

HO HO HO HO! :nope:

We were talking about SOFT drugs like hemp & extacy.

The ones you mentioned all used HARD DOPE, like heroine & speed!

I once heard someone say that all these things (like alcohol, nicotine, coffeine and the drugs that are in use for centuries - like opium, hemp, quat and mushrooms) will do no harm as long as they are used in a ritual way and proportion.

The people you mentioned all used far to much, and used alcohol as well!

(I hope you understand what I mean. This is one of the times that I realise that English is NOT my native language and the matter is very complicated.

I may use some words totaly wrong....)

megabitch, your english is great AFAIC.

about 20 years ago in NYC i watched a news report that a psychiatric clinic on long island was busted because the doctors were giving something called ecstasy (MDMA+) to suicidal patients. they interviewed the patients who all had positive things to say about it and wondered why their clinic was shut down when they felt so much better.

seeing that, i contacted my california connection and he just happened to know an ecs 'distributor' and so they sent me federal express, about a hundred doses.

IT WAS FANTASTIC! then again, summer 03 in london, we were given 'ecstasy' and although it felt a bit llike what i had long ago, my BF totally dint like it. fuck knows what's in it these days. and once again, holland (and a lot of EU) is light years ahead of the USA.

about the original topic, i'd hope the FDA gets hip that not all forbidden drugs are bad for people but i ain't holding my breath. remember, the USA is a puritanical country: it's not cool to have too much fun (unless it's regulated and taxed up the wazoo...fucker$).

the USA is a puritanical country: it's not cool to have too much fun

I would say its schizophrenic--1/4 puritanical, 1/4 anythinggoes, 50 % inbetween

I once heard someone say that all these things (like alcohol, nicotine, coffeine and the drugs that are in use for centuries - like opium, hemp, quat and mushrooms) will do no harm as long as they are used in a ritual way and proportion.

I completely agree with that as I said on another reply. Alcohol is great (doctors say a glass of red wine per day is needed) but if you overdrink then your liver (not only) will blow up.

Same goes with drugs. Even acetylsalicylic acid will kill you if you take to much.

You know what acetylsalicylic acid is? Aspirin.

(I hope you understand what I mean. This is one of the times that I realise that English is NOT my native language and the matter is very complicated.

I may use some words totaly wrong....)

Your English is better than most rednecks by far and superior to any Yankee. :lol:

Liberals however sometimes speak very good English. They just never make any sense. :wha':

English is a second language for me also. My primary language is Texum. Like, howdy y'all, I is frum Texus and I is dang proud of it sho nuff. Well, me and my hoss, Hooker, we is bout to go and fetch sum stuff fer supper so wees gotta git now but we prolly holler at cha agin later.

Liberals however sometimes speak very good English. They just never make any sense. :wha':

Perhaps - but extreme liberals speak to the truth - and its crystal clear :lol: