Rock Band Creed Breaks Up After 3 Albums

NEW YORK - The spiritually inclined band Creed, whose anthemic hits "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open" helped them become one of the top-selling rock acts of the past decade, has called it quits.

Three former Creed members immediately announced they were forming a new band — minus singer Scott Stapp (news) — but were quick to say it was not "just Creed with a different singer."

Creed's three albums sold a combined 24 million copies in the United States. While many critics dismissed them as pale Pearl Jam imitators, Creed members used that as creative fuel and laughed all the way to the bank.

Read entire story here.

I for one am not gonna miss 'em. I guess its cool to be spiritual lyrically, but that music was anything but..

Stapp and guitarist Mark Tremonti (news) were longtime friends and songwriting partners whose relationship soured in the past couple of years, as Tremonti explained in a recent interview with MTV.com.

That caused tension in the band. "There was a lot more drama," drummer Scott Phillips (news) told The Associated Press on Friday. "It wasn't necessarily created by anyone in particular. It just stopped being fun."

Stapp was not available for comment, said a spokesman for Wind-up Records.

It stopped being fun because Stapp let it all go to his head; started using drugs, etc...( which is ironic because one of the conditions the band set for themselves was to stop the drinking and drug abuse; they were supposed to be sober) Then they produced that piece of garbage "Weathered". Then, they had the "piss-off-fans" concert, where fans tried to sue the band for a bad performance (in which Stapp was under the influence of "something").

My Own Prison and Human Clay were solid records. A bit of a "one sound" tendency like Staind, but good anyway. I was listening to those two records a lot for a while there.

I'll miss them.

Also in 2004, Wind-up Records will be releasing a Creed Greatest Hits compilation. -  http://www.creed.com - News article

Well, I think that's a bit much, considering they only released 3 albums.

Perhaps if they did a live album release, i'd be more interested. What would have really helped, would have been an acoustic recording of "Is This The End?", one of Creed's best songs, in my opinion (and it was a b-side!). There is a crappy (and I mean crappy) live recording of that song (bootleg), that's been in P2P circulation since Napster, but that's not good enough.

:( it sure doesn't break my heart, I worked backstage for a 2 night concert setup for Creed in Houston in 2002 and:

#1. Scott Stapp was beyond a prima donna, it was pitiful. He had a Dr. following him around with oxgen bottles and when they came off stage after the last song, I had to guide him to the elevator(he had a towel over his head and was totally disoriented, I had to hold the elevator for him and he was a pain in the ass)

#2 Mr. Tremonti was great, I got my own little private concert because he was practicing in the "guitar room" and he even opened the door and asked if he was being to loud.( I politely said "hey, it sounds great" which it did) he is really a down to earth person. He packs a total fitness gym with him during the tours.

anyhow, I hope Tremonti and all get movin (minus Stapp) because they we good people. :)