Happy Birthday kiwibank

method77

Happy Birthday Kiwibank!!!! :strumma: :scratchin: :good job: :jammintwo: :jammin: :scratchin: :strumma: :thumpin: :Here's to you: :dancin: :frog: :frog:

many thanks for your kind words guys....spent the day down here in new zealand with my wife and kids and family members having a ball..time`s sure moving fast...still a lot of music to listen to..and what was i listening to today???...

why, hot tuna of course :"first pull up, then pull down" (1971)...... sitting right beside quicksilver messenger service in my collection.... jack casady is one of my heroes and papa john creach plays a very cool electric violin...

"The revolution began in the 50's and it was televised. Artists like Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly appeared on prime time, jolting the well-groomed homes of white Americans with their interpretations of black music, while the real stuff - Lightnin' Hopkins and Chuck Berry - infested suburbia through records, assailing young kids like Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady in the musical jugular. The Delta Blues sound spawned Hot Tuna; a three decade wonder band with one of the most faithful audiences in popular music, spanning 25 years and a prodigious recording longevity of over 27 albums.

Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady began their musical courtship in Washington, D.C. in the late 1950's. As musical accomplices in high school, they listened to records that belonged to Jack's older brother Chick, an avid blues collector. Inspired by what they heard they formed a teen garage band, the 'Triumphs', a timely name which presaged their future success.

Jorma attended Antioch College where he met friend and mentor, Ian Buchanan and future blues man, John Hammond. This remarkable triad listened and copied the blues style of the greats: the rags, marches, old popular songs and sacred music of the Reverend Gary Davis, the visionary work of Robert Johnson, the acoustic duet Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee and the quick-fingering rags of Blind Blake - but it was the vast Davis repertoire and legacy which left the greatest impression on Jorma.

Kaukonen reunited with Jack when he transferred to the University of Santa Clara. A thriving folk scene was in progress, a "folk troupe" of notables: Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia, and Pigpen centered around the coffee house, the Folk Theater. Folk met the future when Paul Kantner, Marty Balin and Jorma formed Jefferson Airplane. Signed to RCA, the band recorded its debut album, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE TAKES OFF, with Jack Casady on bass.

Airplane's trajectory went straight to the rock and roll heavens with nine top 20 albums and two top 10 singles.The Airplane represented a new musical vitality and creativity; an image that would come to embody the essence of the West coast alternative culture of the 60's.

Throughout the Airplane days, Jorma and Jack continued to play out as Hot Tuna - but as Casady later remarked, "it got pretty complicated." Wanting to make the blues their number one priority, Jorma and Jack officially left Jefferson Airplane in the early 70's.

Hot Tuna's first album, HOT TUNA, is a classic among a generation of kids growing up in the 70's looking for an alternative to REO Speedwagon, et al. The self-titled debut is a straight acoustic guitar/bass album - recorded live, it is a pure, unadulterated distillation of their laid-back blues sound.

On their second album, FIRST PULL UP - THEN PULL DOWN, many of the riffs were transposed from acoustic blues onto a heavy stringed Stratocaster. The result is a natural evolution and transition to their third album, BURGERS, an all-electric album. Legendary electric violinist Papa John Creach joined the band for BURGERS bringing an oldtimey, ragtime feel to the group. Kaukonen said, "It blew my mind when I first saw him. I knew he would fit in; he was just incredible." In 1973, PHOSPHORESCENT RAT marked Hot Tuna's official departure from Jefferson Airplane and ushered in a new era of purely electric guitar sounds very different from what Jorma has called the "cloned acoustic sounds" of their past.

Hot Tuna's LIVE AT SWEETWATER I and II , first recorded in 1992, began a series of critically acclaimed releases on Relix Records without overdubs, Live at Sweetwater is Hot Tuna's first acoustic album in eight years. A reminder of the freshness and innovation of their musical vision.

Also on Relix Records, CLASSIC HOT TUNA ACOUSTIC recorded in 1971 is a selection of vintage acoustic Hot Tuna performed live on the Bay Area radio station, KSAN. For this session Jorma is playing an old Gibson 150 guitar and Jack and Alembic bass. Sammy Piazza and Papa John Creach also make an appearance in this rare, all acoustic record. About this time Jorma said, "We had just started playing acoustic in front of people as Hot Tuna. We were all pretty hot on the whole deal."

Hot Tuna, accompanied by Michael Falzarano on guitar, Pete Sears on piano, and Harvey Sorgen on drums, recorded their last project on Relix Records in 1997 entitled LIVE IN JAPAN, a compilation of songs recorded at a small club in Yokohama, Japan, bringing to light the intimate acoustic sounds of Hot Tuna that their fans love.

In addition to the CLASSIC series on Relix Records, Hot Tuna fans were treated to a number of first time on cd reissues from RCA Records. The first two titles came in June of '96. They are HOT TUNA and FIRST PULL UP-TREN PULL DOWN Three more were released later that year, BURGERS, AMERICA 5 CHOICE and HOPPKORV, Put together in a unique collector's edition, they are now available as - literally - HOT TUNA IN A CAN In 1998 RCA reissued on CD, PHOSPHORESCENT RAT.

In 1998 Hot Tuna hit the road with the Furthur Festival. It was their second time at Furthur….Jorma’s third. Jorma, Jack, Michael, Pete and Harvey shared the stage with Rusted Root and The Other One's (members of the Grateful Dead, Bruce Hornsby, Dave Ellis from Rat Dog, John Molo from Hornsby’s band and Stan Franks) performing in cities across the country. That summer tour gave birth to Hot Tuna's most recent project......And Furthurmore on Grateful Dead Records.

Hot Tuna is one of America's true musical treasures, which continue to grow with an ageless grace that shows no signs of slowing... ever."

post-15-1084089656_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

happy birthday! sorry I'm late, but I'm thinking.............., you're a day ahead anyways, soooooooooo it's your birthday here now. you'll have to let us know about the koala thing and what they finally came up with kiwi.

Hot Tuna rules! My favorite is "Historic Tuna"

Recorded at live at KSAN & The Fillmore West, San Francisco, California in 1971.

The first Relix Records release of classic live Hot Tuna concert performances (1984's SPLASHDOWN) opened up the floodgates for future releases--the second in a long and winding series being HISTORIC HOT TUNA a year later. Mastered directly from the original tapes of a two different Tuna shows recorded in their hometown of San Francisco in 1971, the first half acoustic, the second an electric set. Founding members Jorma Kaukonen (guitar/vocals) and Jack Casady (bass) are joined by such early comrades as Papa John Creach (violin) and Sammy Piazza (drums), which helps create a fine mixture of both Hot Tuna musical worlds. Highlights include the tracks 'True Religion,' 'Rock Me Baby,' 'Want You To Know,' and 'Been So Long.'

been so long

come back baby

new song (for the morning)

rock me baby

search my heart

space jam

true religion

want you to know

And a belated Happy Birthday Kiwibank! Go get laid again!

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

post-15-1084125191.gif

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

happy birthday! Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I just got back from Houston :P