Are we gullible?

rainbowdemon

A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, last April. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical dihydrogen monoxide. Please find below a summary of his argument:

1. Can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.

2. It is a major component in acid rain.

3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.

4. Accidental inhalation can kill you.

5. It contributes to erosion.

6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.

7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water (H20). The title of his prize winning project was, 'How Gullible Are We?' He feels the conclusion is obvious.

Puts to shame my project on graphical distortions in annual reports. 8400 words done, 1600 to go. One day left to finish, check, print and hand in...

Maybe not. He did have a simple theme and approach and sometimes those can be the most effective. Good luck on finishing yours before the deadline. Let us know how it turns out.

Anyone that's had high school chemistry should know what dihydrogen monoxide is... that's sad....how quickly we forget chem nomenclature....

damn Nate beat me to it... I thought Chem was a graduation requirement...

Edited by joeyz

Maybe not. He did have a simple theme and approach and sometimes those can be the most effective. Good luck on finishing yours before the deadline. Let us know how it turns out.

I've finished it, printed it and packed it up safely to take in for binding and handing in tomorrow morning. 9102 words, 900 short, but it is a limit, not a target. I don't find out the result for over two months.

I'm not going to even guess how good it is.

I've finished it, printed it and packed it up safely to take in for binding and handing in tomorrow morning. 9102 words, 900 short, but it is a limit, not a target. I don't find out the result for over two months.

I'm not going to even guess how good it is.

Congrats on "Mission Accomplished." I hope you get a good grade. You probably know pretty much. You don't seem too concerned so I am sure you put forth the effort required to do well. Is it party time? :party: :party: I certainly wish you the best. Remember: without a good education you can still be a redneck. It is just harder.

:good job: :read this: :scratchin: :psychofun: :jammintwo: :jammin: :strumma: :Here's to you: :dancin: :frog: :frog:

Will do RN4S.

Says it all DAIC. By the way, I put you in my acknowledgements! I only managed to get one of those songs that you recommended (i didn't have time to search for the rest), which I had on repeat in the background. Once I had stopped noticing it, my productivity increased loads!

That and I was short of names to add...

lol. Good story. I don't think Chem. was required for me to graduate either. I know I took it, just can't remember if I passed. I did take an earlier, more immature interest in it. It was my Project C.E.I.P. (sipe) project. It stood for Corrosives, Explosives, Incendiaries and Poisons. There were no Columbine intentions, mind you. Just a young boy, risking his life stealing chemicals in film containers. About the most it became was Tide-oline, which I almost burned my garage down with. Fun while it lasted. :bigsmile:

Re: the title of the thread...

The answer is yes. People love to believe.

You are right wingnut!! Look at the millions of people in Fla. that voted because they were so gullible as to think that someone was going to count them!! :lol: