What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

ColinC - Get Through (ambient Version)

I met ColinC at the Apple Store @ LAs Grove, where he works at the genius bar. Turns out he is electronic artist in his own write, working with dj maestros such as Hernan Cattaneo. He has a new album coming out in May, which I'm looking forward to.

Listen @ MySpace

Here's a video of Colin at work - nice tune, too.

In Session 001: Zack Marullo 'Lost Words' Remix from colin c on Vimeo.

BrakesBrakesBrakes - Two Shocks (2009)

BrakesBrakesBrakes are indie quartet from Brighton, UK. This cut is from their upcoming self-titled album. Hot track, me thinks.

Stream it/or download it @ RcrdLbl

post-9-1240559718.jpeg

Kurt Vile - Beach On The Moon (Recycled Lyrics/2009)

Kurt Vile is a singer/songwriter from Philadelphia. RcrdLbl describes his music as 'bedroom psych pop' - whatever, I like it B) This cut appears on his new album, God Is Saying That To You.

You can stream it @ Rcdlbl at the link above or LipSynchsuck B) Or, as I just discovered, you can go to Stereogum which is also hosting "Freeway"

Magnetic Fields - Dreaming Moon (1995)

The Magnetic Fields is a Boston band led by singer-songwriter Stephin Merritt. This cut is from their album, Get Lost.

You can also find the song @ Motel de Moka in their "Del fuego vino el diluvio" mix.

With an ivory pipe

And a cummerbund

In the dead of night

On the autobahn

With the long ago

On the radio

And the dreaming moon...

We were young and in love

In a burning town

But the fire went out

I'm alone again now

And I finally know

How cool to be cold

With the dreaming moon

I'll begin again

With another new name

And a whole new life

Full of fortune and fame

But in the 100th year

I'll be right back here

With the dreaming moon

Lyrics via MetroLyrics

post-9-1240562120_thumb.jpg

The Field - The More That I Do (2009)

The Field is Swedish techno artist Axel Willner. The cut appears on his new ep, Yesterday and Today. You can stream it/download it @ Pitchfork

post-9-1240563284_thumb.jpg

Thievery Corporation - Hare Krishna (Live, 2008)

The Thievery Corporation is a DJ duo consisting of Rob Garza, Eric Hilton and a supporting group of musicians. This song appears on their latest album, Radio Retaliation, which was released last year via ESL Music.

Horse Flies - Human Fly (Live @ Telluride)

The Horse Flies are a punk fiddle band from Ithaca, NY. The video is courtesy of Rounder Records.

Depeche Mode gave a free concert in Hollywood earlier this week for twenty thousand people. Here is one of the numbers, which was televised:

Depeche Mode - Wrong (Live on Jimmy Kimmel)

Here is their anthem:

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence (1990)

Zoe - Atomico/Sone (2006)

Zoe is an alternative band from Mexico City. You can also check out their recent appearance at KCRW right HERE

Atomico

Sone

Oriol Calvo - Tosca (Remix)

Oriol Calvo is a DJ from Spain. Tosca is the electronic music project of Austrian's Richard Dorfmeister and Rupert Huber.

Tosca - Ocean Beat

Tosca - Annanas (Cosmic Rocker Dub)

CosmicRocker is an electronic triphop dj from Germany. This cut was released as a single - it also appears on Tosca's album, Suzuki In Dub (Continuous Mix), which was released in 2000. Thanks to KCRW for turning me on to this.

post-9-1240648560_thumb.jpg

Bravo Silva - The Future (2006)

Bravo Silva were a Brooklyn band headed by Meryl Streep's son. You can check out another cut of their work HERE

corner-topleft.gif Bravo Silva - The Future corner-topright.gif
skreemr_logo_small_name_only.png
corner-bottomleft.gif Found at skreemr.com corner-bottomright.gif

Gabriel Kahane - Durrants (2009)

Gabriel Kahane is a singer-songwriter and an indie/classical artist from Brooklyn New York. This cut has just been released as a single and it appears on his self-titled debut album. He's profiled in today's New York Times

LISTEN @ Myspace

post-9-1240717470_thumb.jpg

Alabama III - Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

"Alabama 3 are a British band mixing rock, dance, blues, country, and gospel styles. Founded in Brixton, London, in 1996, they are best known in the U.S. for the track, "Woke Up This Morning", which appears in The Soprano's opening credits." - via Wikipedia

They are also one of the best live bands in the world.

Drive By Truckers - The Living Bubba

The song is about a rocker with aids who kept playing music until he died. This video also commemorates Jason Ibell's last performance with the band.

Here is the original cut, which appears on Gagstabilly

E6E6E6
101010vvwQq3Umxu

The Living Bubba - Drive-By Truckers

JJ Cale - Where The Sun Don't Shine (2009)

Legendary bluesman JJ Cale has just recorded his first album in five years, entitled Roll On. Gotta love the title B)

E6E6E6
101010AEX_cuY8Kk

Where The Sun Dont Shine - J.J. Cale

Here is the title track, played live in 1979.

JJ Cale and Leon Russell - Roll On

Whenever you post an embedded script from IMeem, it won't allow you to make changes in the post, if you make a mistake :mad2: The JJ Cale-Leon Russel track in the previous post is entitled, Going Down

Here is the title track from the new JJ Cale album, as performed live with Leon Russell in 1979.

Ok, back to the present :lol:

Little Boots - Meddle (Designer Drugs Remix/2009)

Little Boots (aka Victoria Hesketh) is an English electropop musician. According to Wikipedia, she plays a slew of instruments, including "synthesizers, a Japanese electronic instrument - the Tenori-on,piano and the stylophone. Her latest album, is the self-titled Little Boots. Meddle was released last year as a single in the UK.

Bonus: Check out DesignerDrugs remix of Annie's "Antonio" :dancer7:

The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (2008)

The Temper Trap is a rock band from Melbourne, Australia.

The song is also featured in Fox Searchlight's upcoming film, 500 Days of Summer

New Order - Temptation (1982)

New Order are a British alternative dance band formed in 1980 following the demise of their Joy Division and the suicide of vocalist Ian Curtis. This cut was released as a single. A tip of the hat to GhostEnthusiast@Twitter for the recommendation.

Here is a slightly longer live version

Fonseca - Arroyito (Little Creek) (2008)

Fonseca is a pop artist from Columbia. This song appears on his Latin grammy wining album, “Gratitud.” If you would like to learn more about this artist, check out Jon Pareles review in today's NY Times

Aeroplane - Whispers (Original Mix ft. Kathy Diamond)

The Whispers are an R&B group from Los Angeles, California. Aeroplane are dj team Belgium. This cut was featured as one of Pitchfork's Top 100 singles of 2008.

E6E6E6
101010h5OgW_gQEe

Whispers (Original Mix ft. Kathy Diamond) - Aeroplane

Ry Cooder - Down In Hollywood (Jam - 1987)

Ry Cooder is a legendary blues guitarist and was ranked #8 in Rolling Stone's top 100 guitarists of all time. Helluva backup band, huh? :lol: