US student goes on shooting rampage

KiwiCoromandel

US student goes on shooting rampage

Mar 22, 2005

Eight people were shot dead and more than dozen wounded on Tuesday by a student who opened fire at a high school and a home on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in northern Minnesota, authorities said.

Among the dead was a male security guard, a female teacher, three students and the gunman, FBI agent Paul McCabe said. As many as 15 other students were injured.

"They believe the shooter is among the dead and was acting alone," McCabe said.

Prior to the afternoon school shooting, the student shot dead a couple at a home on the reservation, McCabe said.

Other officials identified the couple as the gunman's grandparents, who were apparently among the dead. His grandfather was a longtime police officer on the reservation, a fire department official told CBS News.

"The young man, whoever he is, shot his grandfather and grandmother, and then went to the school and shot as many as 16 more," said Vernon Bellecourt of the American Indian Movement in Minneapolis.

The reservation is home to the Ojibwa tribe, commonly known as the Chippewa, Bellecourt said.

The shooting follows the March 12 shooting deaths of seven congregants at a church service near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which ended when the gunman killed himself.

In 2003, a student at Rocori High School in central Minnesota gunned down two classmates. He is awaiting trial.

post-86-1111460834.jpg

terrible terrible news..it depresses me greatly.........

it depresses me more that we live in a culture of violence and we're known for our violence (especially when sexual stuff is demonised) and people can get guns so fucking easily. fuck charlton heston and all his ilk (apart from redneck and those others who think and at least, will listen somewhat).

after being away for so long and talking to friendly cops in germany, england and holland, the NYC cops looked like a goddamn military presence (and for the first time in my life, they were unfriendly).

That may be true, SG, but it looks like the kid had a pretty rough upbringing:

Witnesses: Teen Gunman Smiled As He Fired

Mar 22, 1:36 PM (ET)

By JOSHUA FREED

REDBY, Minn. (AP) - The suspect in the worst U.S. school shooting since Columbine smiled and waved as he gunned down five students, a teacher and a guard, asking one of his victims whether he believed in God, witnesses said.

Relatives told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Weise was a loner who usually wore black and was teased by other kids. Relatives told the newspaper his father committed suicide four years ago, and that his mother was living in a Minneapolis nursing home because she suffered brain injuries in a car accident.  ."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050322/D8906BCO0.html

The newspaper said the suspect, Jeff Weise, wrote last year in an online forum used by neo-Nazis: "I guess I've always carried a natural admiration for Hitler and his ideals, and his courage to take on larger nations."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/national/22cnd-shoot.html

The last school shooting here in MN was just 18 months ago, in 2003, the Rocori one. Two people died.

His neo-Nazi outlook seems ironic given his pro-Indian heritage - I think he was against the mixing of bloods. Despite his extreme views, the kid seemed intelligent and literate before he went off the deep end...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1443462,00.html

I cant get over his baby face - who would have ever thought he could do such a thing?

post-86-1111524306.jpg

He's not the first Aboriginal person I've seen spouting aryan-nationistic views. A local Native politician did the same here @ 2 years ago.

the pro gun lobby is already on the local news this morning...the line that they`re running?....that old favourite..." IT`S NOT THE GUN...IT`S THE PERSON WITH THE GUN.......well, not that it`s important....HOW DID THE BOY GET THE GUN/S THEN??? :(

fuck charlton heston and all his ilk (apart from redneck and those others who think and at least, will listen somewhat).

Don't exclude me, SG. I share Heston's beliefs fully. Besides, I never think and won't listen but I can line the sights up. :lol:

NRA member (National Rifle Association)

TSRA member (Texas State Rifle Association)

IDPA member (International Defensive Pistol Association)

IDSA member (International Defensive Shooting Association)

IPSC member (International Practical Shooting Confederation)

I am also a member of AARP but I don't want to brag about that one. :lol:

*sigh* we know, we know (you better shut up about that AARP thing...the next thing you know, geezers will be lying in wait for you, to force you into liberal-land).

what kills me is that until i read about this in EU news, i had no idea the kid was Native Amer. fucking goddamn amerikan media and the terri (LET HER DIE) schiavo misdirection.

Im probably going to piss some folks off, but it wont be the first time. Look we have gun registration here in Canada, and I still consider them to be way too easy to obtain. I dont even want to get into the yadda yadda about guns not killing people. If the guns are easy to obtain, with out background checks, then by the law of averages more unstable wackos will get them. Yes I have guns, and I also have had training, but I have also had background checks done on me to see if I had any kind of a violent past, or criminal record. Nada to all of that.

Now it also appears that the system failed the chap that did the shooting, to say nothing of the victims. This was a very troubled person, and nobody either noticed the warning signs, or if they did reported them. Either way, if the guns were harder to obtain there is less of a possibility that he would have had one.

Apparently the kid was on Prozac, too...

'The clues were all there'

School shooter depicted as deeply disturbed, ignored teen

Ceci Connolly and Dana Hedgpeth, Washington Post

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Redlake, Minn. -- Two days after a shooting rampage on the Indian reservation here left 10 dead, friends, relatives and neighbors of Jeff Weise -- the 16-year- old assailant -- began to sketch a portrait of a deeply disturbed youth who had been treated for depression in a psychiatric ward, lost several close family members, sketched gruesome scenes of armed warriors and was removed from the school where he gunned down most of his victims Monday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L&feed=rss.news

Red Lake shooter's blogs provide frightening insight

BY DAVID HANNERS, Pioneer Press

As authorities sought today to figure out what stoked Jeff Weise's rage enough to drive him to kill nine people and then himself, perhaps the teen summed it up best himself:

"16 years of accumulated rage suppressed by nothing more than brief glimpses of hope, which have all but faded to black," he wrote in an undated personal biography on one Web site. "I can feel the urges within slipping through the cracks, the leash I can no longer hold…."

In the same bio, he listed his occupation as "doormat," and said he was located in "endless scrutiny, Minnesota, United States."

When Weise turned to online journals and discussion boards to unload his thoughts, they were sometimes thoughtful, often cryptic and only occasionally hopeful, but one thing permeated all the writings: a great, weighty darkness that never let him be.

"I sacrifice no more for others, part of me has f---ing died and I hate this s--t," the 16-year-old wrote in his last entry dated Jan. 27. "I'm living every mans nightmare and that single fact alone is kicking my ass, I really must be f---ing worthless. This place never changes, it never will. F--- it all."

His online journal, autobiographical sketches and other of his writings reviewed by the Pioneer Press show an angry, troubled youth who seemed to revel in his anger and trouble. He wrote about life as if it were a dead-end street in a bad neighborhood.

"I'm nothin' but your average Native American stoner," he wrote in his bio on the site. "I'm mellow half the time, mostly natural, but mostly drug induced as well. I'm not a junkie, or an alcoholic, MJ is my gal' of choice. Enough about that though, I don't know why you're reading this anyway. I'm gonna roll this joint so I'll c'ya later…."

In the public profile he wrote on another Web page, he listed his hobbies and interests as, "Planning Waiting Hating."

His entries on one site featured a photo of the band Nirvana - whose founder, Kurt Cobain, famously committed suicide in 1994. There are three entries, and they provide a sense that he was on a mental roller-coaster ride of some sort.

The first entry, written on Dec. 14, he introduces "my new journal, in which I will put my thoughts down to words. My view on the days past events and whatnot, my two cents on the world in general."

He also invited readers to visit a message board for the band he played in, named 6sik6. He played guitar, but it could not immediately be determined if 6sik6 got beyond its teen garage band dreams.

"We haven't heard of the band, and we have heard of most local bands," said Larry Overbeek, who runs Overbeek Electronics and Music in Bemidji, a half-hour's drive south of the Red Lake reservation where Weise lived.

"We're the only ones around here who have live entertainment and we ain't never heard of that band here," said Bob Lind at the Hard Times Saloon in Bemidji.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/s.../_www11211975_1

The online journal that the media keeps mentioning.

A friend of mine has been pretty shaken by all this, he knows the area, knows some of the people, was once taught by the teacher who died.

shawn: aren't aboriginals exclusive to austrlaia?

Edited by Potato

"16 years of accumulated rage suppressed by nothing more than brief glimpses of hope, which have all but faded to black," he wrote in an undated personal biography on one Web site. "I can feel the urges within slipping through the cracks, the leash I can no longer hold…."

In the same bio, he listed his occupation as "doormat," and said he was located in "endless scrutiny, Minnesota, United States."

this is even more depressing to me now--he was intelligent and knew how to express his feelings w/words.

Bush offers condolences to Minn. tribe

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Nedra Pickler

March 25, 2005  |  Waco, Texas -- President Bush on Friday expressed condolences to the leader of the Minnesota Indian reservation where 10 people died Monday in the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history.

Bush talked to Floyd Jourdain Jr., chairman of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa, for five minutes Friday morning, offering his sympathy for the victims of a teen-ager's shooting rampage and the entire Red Lake community and pledging to provide federal assistance, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2005/03/25/tribe/index.html

he's so fulla shit...what, it took him like 3 days to wake up? meanwhile, he signed leg'n to fuck the native amer.s out of 100 million dollars worth of housing subsidies (had the link this AM but lost it).