Our Hearts & Condolances Go Out to Slum Goddess

DudeAsInCool

Her beautiful cat Peter, who was featured in our Beatking Pet Thread, and who Slum always referred to so lovingly, passed away today. May you be blessed in Kitty heaven, Petey. We are going to miss you

post-15-1111205672.jpg

My sympathies SG. It's not easy to lose a beloved member of the family. :(

:(

The Death of a Pet

Coping with the Loss of a Loved One

Facing Your Loss

The term "loved one" applies to companions of all types, human and animal. However, many pet owners are unprepared to deal with the loss of a loved one, even if they have dealt with death in the past.

If your pet was part of a family unit, everyone should be included in the healing process, including young children. Often family members may try to hide their grief from each other. It is best to allow everyone to tell their feelings so the family can move on.

Don’t be afraid to talk about your feelings and grief with others, such as extended family members, close friends or counselors. It is best to talk to someone who will listen and understand.

Many well-intentioned family and friends may not understand the loss you are experiencing, especially if they don’t have pets of their own. However, they may still be willing to listen and help.

Life and Loss Cycles

Death is a natural part of the life cycle. And grieving is a natural part of death. But when a beloved pet dies, you and your family may experience this grief differently.

It is important to understand that the length of time and type of emotion associated with grief varies. No two people grieve the same way, but becoming familiar with some patterns may help you be better prepared for times ahead.

There are four common emotions associated with death: denial, anger, guilt, and depression.

Denial may begin when you realize your pet is dying. Facing the reality of your pet’s illness -- instead of trying to convince yourself and others that your pet is getting well -- helps you better prepare for death.

Anger towards your pet or loved ones is also common. You may feel betrayed by your pet’s death or feel that because others aren’t showing visible signs of grief, they didn’t care.

You may find yourself dwelling on your loss and the sadness you feel, a common symptom of depression. Or you may blame yourself and others for your pet’s death, leading to feelings of guilt.

Acknowledging that these are common feelings and allowing others to help you through the grieving process is the best way to deal with these feelings. Since each family member may have bonded differently with your pet, each person may have a different reaction to the loss. In addition, children may need some special attention during these times.

Pet Loss Support

The loss of a pet can be emotionally traumatic. Fortunately there are effective support resources to help owners cope with grief.

Since the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California - Davis established the first pet-loss hotline in 1989, numerous veterinary schools and other organizations have formed their own hotlines to provide sympathetic, nonjudgmental outlets for people facing the death of a cherished pet.

Most hotlines are staffed by trained, volunteer veterinary students, veterinarians, and veterinary technicians.

Remembering Your Pet

There are many ways in which you can remember your pet.

Write down your memories or create a photo album

Plant a tree or place a memorial birdbath in your garden

Make a donation to a pet-related charity.

Your veterinarian or local shelter can help you decide how to put your pet to rest and recommend you to a local pet cemetery.

A New Pet

Just as the grieving process is different for everyone, so is the decision about getting a new pet. Some people may never want to get a new pet, while others may adopt right away. Waiting until you and your family are ready for another pet is the best decision.

http://www.eukanuba.com/en_US/jhtmls/nutri...&questionid=413

The following is a poem written by Constance Jenkins in memory of her dog.

Weep not for me though I am gone

Into that gentle night.

Grieve if you will, but not for long

Upon my soul's sweet flight.

I am at peace, my soul's at rest,

There is no need for tears.

For with your love I was so blessed

For all those many years.

There is no pain, I suffer not,

The fear now all is gone.

Put now these things out of your thoughts,

In your memory I live on.

Remember not my fight for breath,

Remember not the strife.

Please do not dwell upon my death,

But celebrate my life.

so sorry mate...we discussed this in another thread when petey wasn`t looking so good and you were facing the hard facts of what was to come......i won`t bore you with the details again, but suffice to say that you and petman have our heartfelt sympathy dear lady.......as a cat owner and cat lover i feel your loss and your pain...

Edited by kiwibank

thanks guys. we're gonna try to go out later so we can rescue another creature at RSPCA.

i send my "sorries" your way, too ... it is such a hard time, i know ... Peter looked so happy, and content in the pic, and for that, i am grateful to you, as i have seen so much of the opposite ... and so grateful, too, when i read that you will give another a chance at a contented life ... so, sympathies to you and yours, but thanks, too ...

"don't cry because it's over. smile because it happened." t. suess geisel ...

post-15-1111257849.gif

thanks so much again, people. in truth, this is the first time i've ever gone through this and i'm like still dazed here.

I've gone through it a million times slum.

My cat doesn't look all that well these past weeks. Took him to the doctor and said he had a cold or something. Let's all hope Filos gets well

i'm praying to Bast for Filos and hope he gets well very very soon. tell us how he's doing, ok?