Mountie gun massacre rocks peaceful Canada

KiwiCoromandel

Mountie gun massacre rocks peaceful Canada

By Scott Pattison

March 6, 2005

Police have scoured a farm in western Canada for clues into how four Mounties were shot and killed in one of the national police force's worst bloodbaths, a tragedy that has shocked a country where such violent crime is rare.

The officers, all junior members of the famous Royal Canadian Mounted Police, were gunned down on Thursday during a raid at an illicit marijuana growing operation near Mayerthorpe, Alberta, 140 kilometres north-west of Edmonton.......

Read more..........

http://smh.com.au/news/World/Mountie-gun-m...9958157518.html

Statistics show it has about eight times fewer firearm homicides per 100,000 people than the US.

Based upon my observations, on average, it has less violent people.

Also, let's face it, huge urban areas like NYC, LA, Houston, etc.. with millions so close together, you're going to see a lot more violence. These places also have a lot of history (mafia, etc..), and certain sub-cultrues that bring an extra edge to the violence.

Canada just isn't laid out like that.

Statistics don't measure that kind of stuff.

Edited by Ken

Statistics don't measure that kind of stuff.

yes they do

always compare same sized cites. I don't think Toronto has the same crime rate with similar sized cities.

I know pretty well that Athens which has about 5 million people is pretty peaceful compared to other cities so not all cities are the same

yes they do

No, they don't

In this case, statistics is measuring population, not the prevalent and popular culture or sub-cultures contained within in that population, or the human condition in general that contribute to violence.

No, they don't

yes they do

ok, so let's say you are right about your urban theory.

Compare Russia and Canada. Both with no major urban areas yet the rate is Russia is really high.

The US has a high crime rate cause of it's a cultural thing whether you admit it or not

:I gotta see this:

:lol:

Compare Russia and Canada. Both with no major urban areas yet the rate is Russia is really high.

Hey man :bigsmile:

Toronto is larger than Athens.

I said Athens compared to similar sized cities.

I also compared Russia with Canada cause the two countries are huge with no major urban areas.

*whistles "don't let me be misunterstood"

*whistles "don't let me be misunterstood"

:lol:

:rotfl:

I still don't understand. What is a major urban area then?

Any area where the population density is such that you don't have to walk more than a couple hundred yards to cap some mofo that desperately needs it. :bigsmile:

Okay... besides New York, L.A. or Chicago, does the U.S. have any urban areas?

San Fran?

Boston?

Detroit?

Houston?

Philidelphia?

Okay... besides New York, L.A. or Chicago, does the U.S. have any urban areas?

San Fran?

Boston?

Detroit?

Houston?

Philidelphia?

LA is more like an endless suburban sprawl. Id add Cleveland and Pittsburg to your list...

Okay. Now why are all of those smaller cities major urban centers, but Toronto is not?

Only #1 Mexico City, #2 New York, #3 L.A., and #4 Chicago are larger.

Or do most people not consider those cities to fit the definition?

For that matter, in the case of Moscow "the census agents in 2002 counted 10,360,000 inhabitants". source

That's 3 times bigger than Chicago. And marginally larger than L.A. source

That leaves me to assume it has nothing to do with population then? Is it ethnicity mix? Moscow is small there, but Toronto is monolithic.

Okay. Now why are all of those smaller cities major urban centers, but Toronto is not?

Toronto reminds me of LA...

A sport played with the feet is called football. Without protection cause it's a man's sport.

Football is not a sport where someone hugs the ball, runs for a few seconds and then stop the action for 20 minutes

Baseball I like