female Red Sox fan killed by police

Kooperman

Red Sox Fan Dies in Boston After Police Shoot Projectile Into Postgame Crowd

BOSTON (AP) - A Red Sox fan celebrating her team's victory over the New York Yankees was killed after one of the police officers called in to control the boisterous crowd shot her in the eye with what was designed to be a non-lethal projectile.

Fifteen other people, including a police officer, suffered minor injuries in Boston's Kenmore Square neighborhood early Thursday, after thousands of baseball fans spilled onto the streets near Fenway Park to celebrate the Red Sox winning the American League pennant at Yankee Stadium.

Victoria Snelgrove, a 21-year-old journalism major at Emerson College in Boston, was hit by a projectile fired by an officer on crowd-control duty. Snelgrove, of East Bridgewater, died of a head injury at Brigham and Women's Hospital later in the day.

Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole said officers were using projectiles "designed to break upon impact, dousing the target with (pepper-like) spray."

During a news conference, O'Toole expressed the department's sympathies to Snelgrove's family and said the agency "accepts full responsibility for the death." She and Mayor Thomas Menino pledged to fully investigate.

Rick Snelgrove expressed outrage and said his daughter did nothing wrong. Standing outside the family home, he held up a photograph of his smiling daughter.

"What happened to her should not happen to any American citizen going to any type of game, no matter what," he said. "She loved the Red Sox. She went in to celebrate with friends. She was a bystander. She was out of the way, but she still got shot. Awful things happen to good people. My daughter was an exceptional person."

Early Thursday, several small fires were set and numerous fights broke out. Boston police reported eight arrests, mostly for disorderly conduct, though one arrest was for assault and battery on a police officer.

City officials had announced there would be a heavy police presence in Kenmore Square for the history-making victory by the Red Sox, who came back from 3-0 deficit to advance to the World Series.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBD69SUL0E.html

If she was not being "disorderly" and was simply "there", the police officer should be charged with criminally negligent homicide.

In any event though, the officer should immediately lose his job.

From the description, this was a major foul (of the worst kind) by the police.

Boston Fan's Death May Prompt Alcohol Ban

BOSTON - Mayor Thomas Menino said he was considering banning alcohol sales near Fenway Park during the World Series, following rowdy celebrations of the Red Sox's league championship that turned deadly when a police officer shot a projectile into a crowd.

Menino planned to meet with bar and nightclub owners Friday and also said he would press colleges to expel students found guilty of criminal conduct in the melee.

"Since people won't accept responsibility, I, as mayor, will take it into my own hands," Menino said.

Read entire story here.

I think this is a cop-out (no pun intended) personally. How does this resolve the fact that the cop chose to shoot her in the head versus the torso? Was the cop drinking?

"Since people won't accept responsibility, I, as mayor, will take it into my own hands," Menino said.

This sounds a little self-righeous to me. Sounds like he's just doing his two-cents for bragging rights. I sincerely think the family gives a damn about this action. Their beef is with the police.

I agree with Ken on all counts.

There have been several cases where someone was killed by rubber bullets. Several of those have been where the victim was hit in the eye. They may not penetrate most areas of the body but they will penetrate the eye.

While attending riots it is a good idea to wear safety glasses or look away from police.

That is absolutely horrible...by the way this article read, she was either on her own property or very close to it. In which case ... yes it's an accident but a HUGE lawsuit is coming. This family will end up owning alot of Boston :wha':