2004 Baseball Playoffs/World Series

DudeAsInCool

My Houston Astros win in the bottom of the 9th inning on a huge 3 run home run by Jeff Kent. Astros 3 Cardinals 0, Houston leads the series 3 games to 2 heading back to St. Louis for the final 2 games on Wednesday and Thursday, if needed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, we kept it a good series for the fans - but tomorrow night the Yanks return to form :bigsmile:

Not exactly....Red Sox 10 Yankees 3. The Yankees became the first team in history to win the first 3 games of a playoff series, then manage to lose all 4 games left in the series. Heads will roll in Yankee land. The Red Sox make their 4th World Series appearance of my 53 year old life, having been to the Big Show previously in 1967, 1975 and 1986, all of which they lost. Their last World's Championship was way back in 1918, when Babe Ruth was a member of the team.

All I gotta say:

How 'bout them Yankees?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cant believe I have to eat crow on this one, but Boston deserved the win. I predict the Yankees will get Soriano back as well as some pitchers - they dont seem to have many of that species :reallymad:

Man! Why did I let you intimidate me away from my bet!?!?

Thank Gawd the Sox are in - A 10 times more interesting series you'll have to admit. It's been so damn long, I'm only upset it's not Cubs vs Red Sox.

Go Sox!

(I suppose it helps that I have family from Boston....)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time in hostory that anyone has come back from a 3-0 deficit in any sport? Basketball too? I think so!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time in hostory that anyone has come back from a 3-0 deficit in any sport? Basketball too? I think so!

At least for baseball....

I predict the Yankees will get Soriano back as well as some pitchers - they dont seem to have many of that species :reallymad:

I don't think Alfonso Soriano is eligible for free agency yet, and I'm positive that the Yankees won't be able to trade for him, or anyone else of any value, because their minor league system is gutted from previous trades. That's why they were unable to acquire Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks this summer...nothing to offer. Other than the key members of the team, like Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield and Mariano Rivera, all the other expendable players are on the downside of their careers. In today's economic climate in baseball, high salaried veterans are not in demand...prospects or young players not yet eligible for arbitration are coveted, and the Yankee shelf is empty. It's time to face it Dude, this Yankee era of Derek Jeter is fast coming to an end. They may get Houston's Carlos Beltran over the winter because he's going to be a free agent, but there are very few decent pitchers available for the buying. It's time for the Yankees to draft more good young players from high school and college and keep them long enough for them to develop into major leaguers, rather than throwing them out to other teams for stopgap veterans who may or may not help at all (such as Estaban Loaiza, acquired from the White Sox). There are former Yankee draft picks all over the major leagues right now who are coming into their own as excellent players...due to desperation trades made in the past.

As a Houston Astro fan since 1964 (when they were still named Colt 45's), I'd love to see them win it all this year...but common sense points toward a rematch of the 1967 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox, with the Red Sox breaking their curse and taking the championship. The Yankees pitching woes and inconsistent hitting against top-caliber pitching will derail them, perhaps even in this Twins series.

St. Louis 5 Houston 2

World Series is the Boston Red Sox vs. St. Louis Cardinals, with the Red Sox having the home field advantage. First game is Saturday Night at Boston's Fenway Park, the oldest park in the major leagues. It opened up the day the Titanic went down.

You should have taken my pick to the bank, Dude, rather than your Yankee pick :read this:

I think they Yanks have done pretty good since the 1920s...I dont imagine them not staying in the winning tradition. They ARE the winningest team in sports...

I think they Yanks have done pretty good since the 1920s...I dont imagine them not staying in the winning tradition.  They ARE the winningest team in sports...

Don't forget that the Yankees had a lot of fallow years under Steinbrenner in addition to the winning years. They went from 1982 through 1995 without making it to the World Series at all. Time has come for them to rebuild from within, even if it means a few years of being just good instead of great.

One thing wrong with the Yanks, yes they may have money to go buy players but they dont have the depth in there farm system to get any young guys on the team and it seems the players on the yanks lost the drive to win or something near the end. Maybe they should look into rebuilding that farm system.

BOSTON WINS SERIES, 4-0

Red Sox End Series Drought With Sweep

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 27, 2004

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The Boston Red Sox -- yes, the Boston Red Sox! -- are World Series champions at long, long last. No more curse and no doubt about it.

Ridiculed and reviled through decades of defeat, the Red Sox didn't just beat the St. Louis Cardinals, owners of the best record in baseball, they swept them for their first crown since 1918.

post-86-1098935907.jpg

As a Houston Astro fan since 1964 (when they were still named Colt 45's), I'd love to see them win it all this year...but common sense points toward a rematch of the 1967 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox, with the Red Sox breaking their curse and taking the championship.

My prediction from October 7th......not bad.

living in the heart of red sox country ... so happy that your prediction became a reality ... :good job: good job Red Sox!!

(and to not have to hear this year what has been said in the so many previous years they have not won, "wait till next year," is a nice added bonus, too ... :blink: )

• 2 weeks later...

Guess who will be back in 2005! :bigsmile:

Beltran to Yankees Could Be Only a Matter of Time

By JACK CURRY

Published: November 10, 2004

KEY BISCAYNE, Nov. 9 - Center fielder Carlos Beltran, the most attractive free agent this off-season, has supposedly been fitted for Yankee pinstripes. Several major league executives have said that the Yankees will end up signing him to a mammoth deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/10/sports/b...ll/10yanks.html