2004 Baseball Playoffs/World Series

DudeAsInCool

Yanks Beat Twins, Even Series

Alex Rodriguez's ground-rule double tied the game and Hideki Matsui's line-drive sacrifice fly scored the winning run in a rollicking, 7-6, 12-inning victory over the Twins.

RED SOX LEAD SERIES, 2-0

Martínez's Effort Lets Boston Fans Take Heart

Boston's Pedro Martínez put his past four starts behind him Wednesday night to post a redemptive 8-3 victory over the Anaheim Angels.

ASTROS LEAD SERIES, 1-0

Not at His Best, Clemens Wins a Game 1

The Houston Astros battered the Atlanta Braves, 9-3, in Game 1 of their N.L. division series even without the best from their starting pitcher, Roger Clemens. Wright, who led the Braves with a 3.28 ERA during the regular season, was rocked for three homers and six runs in 4 1-3 innings.

Cardinals Lead Dodger Series, 1-0: Different Team, Different Weaver

Place your bets!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Houston Astro fan since 1964 (when they were still named Colt 45's), I'd love to see them win it all this year...but common sense points toward a rematch of the 1967 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox, with the Red Sox breaking their curse and taking the championship. The Yankees pitching woes and inconsistent hitting against top-caliber pitching will derail them, perhaps even in this Twins series.

post-86-1097151626.gif

The Yankees pitching woes and inconsistent hitting against top-caliber pitching will derail them, perhaps even in this Twins series.

That'd be good enough for some Twins fans... just knowing they knocked the Yanks out. :D

The Yankees pitching woes and inconsistent hitting against top-caliber pitching will derail them, perhaps even in this Twins series.

Despite their pitcihing woes, the Yanks are the come from behind baseball team - they have the best lineup in baseball and will prevail :bigsmile:

Despite their pitcihing woes, the Yanks are the come from behind baseball team - they have the best lineup in baseball and will prevail :bigsmile:

NO THEY WON'T!!!! OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

Just once I'd like to see the Twins do something wonderful. Just once I'd like to see any Minnesota sports team do something wonderful. Being in the headlines for hitting old ladies with cars doesn't count *coughVikingscough*

NO THEY WON'T!!!! OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

Just once I'd like to see the Twins do something wonderful. Just once I'd like to see any Minnesota sports team do something wonderful. Being in the headlines for hitting old ladies with cars doesn't count *coughVikingscough*

Potato, if that series goes to the 5th game Santana will smoke the Yankees, just like he did in Yankee Stadium....

Potato, if that series goes to the 5th game Santana will smoke the Yankees, just like he did in Yankee Stadium....

Say what you like, the Yanks are gonna take it

.... points toward a rematch of the 1967 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox, with the Red Sox breaking their curse and taking the championship ....

:bigsmile: would love to see your forecast prove true ...

BRISTOL, Connecticut - It was a sorry season on the field for the Seattle Mariners, but a record-breaking season by Ichiro Suzuki.

The 30-year-old native from Kobe, Japan broke an 84-year-old record with 262 hits and became the first player in major league history to collect 200 hits in his first four seasons.

Ichiro broke the record of 257 hits set by George Sisler of the St. Louis Browns in 1920.

so did this suzuki guy break the record?

Yes, he broke George Sisler's 84 year old record for hits in a season. He also set a record for most singles in a season, which does lend itself to some small criticism that he is just punching and slapping at the ball, and not taking a full swing. He is a blazingly fast baserunner, using his speed to beat out infield ground balls quite often. However, despite his speed, he only had 24 doubles (2-base hits) all season long, which indicates he's not hitting the ball with a lot of power into the outfield defensive gaps. Still, his hits record is quite an accomplishment despite the lack of power.

Dude was right...the Yankees did handle the Twins fairly easily, but their pitching weakness did stand out and the Red Sox are offensive giants with 2 pitching aces, as opposed to the Yankees, whose only actual pitching star at the moment is the closer, Mariano Rivera. It will surprise me greatly if the Yankees can beat the Red Sox this time for the league championship.

It will surprise me greatly if the Yankees can beat the Red Sox this time for the league championship.

It wont surprise me. The Yanks have set a record this year for come from behind wins. Take a look at their roster and the stats - nearly the whole lineup has at least 20 home runs individually- and if they designated hitters were full time, they would hit 20 0r 30 easily. You cannot beat that kind of power...

The League Championship series are set. In the American League there's another intense Yankees/Red Sox battle, and in the National League my Astros won their first-ever playoff series and will face the St. Louis Cardinals for that League Championship. I still see a Red Sox vs. Cardinals matchup for the World Series, but some Dude may not agree....

I eat long odds for breakfast.... 'sides, there's been so many sports upsets lately I'm feeling anything can happen.

Look at the record this year - almost 50/50....

Recent Meetings

Date Home-Away H Starter A Starter Line O/U

9/26/2004 BOS 11 - NYY 4 C.Schilling K.Brown -185/9.5 O

9/25/2004 BOS 12 - NYY 5 T.Wakefield J.Vazquez -120/10.5 O

9/24/2004 BOS 4 - NYY 6 P.Martinez M.Mussina -155/9 O

9/19/2004 NYY 11 - BOS 1 M.Mussina P.Martinez 135/8.5 O

9/18/2004 NYY 14 - BOS 4 J.Lieber D.Lowe -125/10.5 O

9/17/2004 NYY 2 - BOS 3 O.Hernandez B.Arroyo -155/10 U

7/25/2004 BOS 9 - NYY 6 D.Lowe J.Contreras 105/11.5 O

7/24/2004 BOS 11 - NYY 10 B.Arroyo T.Sturtze -135/11 O

7/23/2004 BOS 7 - NYY 8 C.Schilling J.Lieber -175/9 O

7/1/2004 NYY 5 - BOS 4 x B.Halsey P.Martinez 135/9 P

6/30/2004 NYY 4 - BOS 2 J.Lieber T.Wakefield -130/10.5 U

6/29/2004 NYY 11 - BOS 3 J.Vazquez D.Lowe -160/9.5 O

4/25/2004 NYY 0 - BOS 2 J.Vazquez P.Martinez 100/9.5 U

4/24/2004 NYY 2 - BOS 3 x K.Brown B.Arroyo -250/7 U

4/23/2004 NYY 2 - BOS 11 J.Contreras D.Lowe -135/10 O

4/19/2004 BOS 5 - NYY 4 B.Arroyo K.Brown 160/9.5 U

4/18/2004 BOS 3 - NYY 7 D.Lowe J.Contreras -125/9.5 O

4/17/2004 BOS 5 - NYY 2 C.Schilling M.Mussina -135/8 U

4/16/2004 BOS 6 - NYY 2 T.Wakefield J.Vazquez 130/9.5 U

A topsy turvy game. Mike Mussina had a perfect game going for the first six innnings and the Yanks had an 8-0 lead, but Boston exploded for 5 in the seventh and two in the eighth to make it 8-7, but Rivera, the best reliever in baseball, closed the innning. Bernie Williams hit a triple in the ninth bringing home Rodriquez and Sheffield, to make it 10-7 for the Yanks. Boston threatened with two men on base and one out, but Rivera forced a double play. Yanks take game one...

Are there any bet takers yet :bigsmile: