John Lennon's killer faces possible release

markchapman.jpgNEW YORK (AFP) - Mark Chapman, the man who gunned down John Lennon in New York, could be released from jail this week -- a prospect that has drawn protests and even threats against his life from the former Beatle's fans.

Chapman, now 49, was sentenced to 20 years to life after shooting Lennon five times in the back outside the singer's Manhattan apartment building on December 8, 1980.

Having served 24 years, Chapman has a parole hearing scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday, a spokeswoman for the State of New York Division of Parole said.

Read entire story here.

jesus, has it been 24 years already? damn, time flies by when you're old. :lol: IMO, john was the coolest guy and had the best rock and roll voice.

This news gives me mixed feelings...

for one point I think that this man should stay in jail

but on the other hand

it would give a certain unbalance in justice if you punish someone extra for killing a man who is famous.........

But indeed, he will be safer in jail, there will be lennon fans who are enough disturbed to do stupid things.

BTW, how is it possible that someone who is sentenced for 20 years is still in jail after 24 years?

he was sentenced 20 years to life. Not 20 years. That means that you have the right to ask if you can go free after you have completed the time period of 20 years but it's up to the judge to judge

Did I make sense?

Yes, thank you!

The law in the US of A differs a great deal from out law in the Netherlands.

Very clever that you know this, since you're not American eather!

it's similar in Greece. They sentence you for life but tell you that you have the right to ask for release in xx years. It's usually around 25 years for murder except if you raped and killed a kid or something. The rest of the inmates will take care of you lol

Chapman is nuttier than a run-over dog. I hope he never gets out. I would feel the same way if he had shot someone else instead of Lennon.

R I P Mark Chapman.

R I P = Rot In Prison :angry:

Edited by Redneck4sure

METHOD!!!

When I kill somebody, here in the Netherlands, I will be walking outside again after max 6 years!

And to get punnished that way I will have to kill somebody I've never seen before without any reason!

The highest punishment I've seen the last few years was 9 years.

Here it is a custom that if you behave well in prison, that you get a 20% reduce, and long before you go several weekends on trial-leave!

We have even had a lady who drove far over the max. speed past a school, she had no driverslicence and therefor was not assured, she killed a kid and got away with 240 hours working-punishment. (you paint a school or you work in a park or something like that!)

My country is a paradise for criminals!!!!

Hiolland is known for it's nut laws. For some strange reason though, the crime rate is low

Maybe they arent so nutty afer all

• 2 weeks later...

Chapman Wanted to 'Steal' Lennon's Fame

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Mark David Chapman felt like a nobody and wanted to "steal John Lennon's fame" when he shot the former Beatle outside his New York City apartment in 1980, according to a transcript of Chapman's most recent parole hearing, released Thursday.

Chapman, 49, told the panel Oct. 5 he'd accomplished his goal of transferring Lennon's fame to himself in one sense, but in other ways, "I'm a bigger nobody than I was before."

"Because, you know, people hate me now instead of, you know, for something positive," he said. "So that's a worse state."

Read entire story here.