The "Olympic Spirit"

method77

As you know, the games will start in 10 days and everybody here (Greeks and visitors) are in a real good mood. Athletes and reporters arriving, looking at the sun and the great weather and everybody smiling and very excited.

The Olympics are a great chance for friends and enemies to be together and forget for a month their problems and just compete in athletics. A great example of that was in Sydney when both North and South Korean teams walked into the stadium as a united country called Korea. A true Olympic moment and exactly what these games represent.

Agree so far right?

Well... the American and Israeli team leaders don't. They decided that the Olympics are a chance to show whose boss. Members of their teams arrived today, didn't enter the way ALL the others did. Didn't take the buses ALL the others take. Didn't talk to the press and off course didn't stay in the Olympic village like the rest. They have special police guarding them and even have gas masks with them!

I'm not trying to bash the American and Israeli people and athletes cause they had nothing to do with that. I'm bashing the people that ordered those things. I wish they knew what these games represent like the Koreans... Sad.

Just thinking loud....

I agree with you method... maybe not that they're trying to show who's boss, but they're too scared...

These over-security things are becoming a joke, kinda like the 4 year old info used to justify 50 SWAT mofos hangin outside of every bank in NYC on a random Monday morning....

Edited by cjules13

Our paranoid leadership DOES NOT represent the spirit or the collective conscious of the American people - remember, they did not win the popular vote, and won only by a corrupt vote by the Supreme Court. The leadership would argue that they are trying to protect the atheletes from potential terrorism - which in my mind, has been created in their mind set.

Yeah, nice sentiment, however, is it not somewhat naive to think that terrorism will stop, just becasue "it's the Olympics?"

Now, I know you'll find it hard to believe (after all, GWB DID already fight the war on terrorism :lol:) but, it's still a risk, and for a nation like America (that until recently had never suffered from terrorism) the risk is still a very real one.

I'm sure the US press is continually planting fear in the minds of US citizens and this (to my thinking) is just an extension of that. I guess they figure if you keep 'em scared you can get them to agree with anything in the paradoxically-named cause of "fighting for peace" that GWB seems intent on taking to the World.

But, as for not bashing the athletes, well why not? These are some of the most prima-donna and overly self-important people in the world (the athletes, not Americans in general, I hasten to add) and unless my perspicacity fails me I haven't read a single report of any US or Israeli 'sport star' disagreeing with this segregation, and let's face it, these are high profile people; we'd know about it if there was a complaint inside their camps.

Having said that, I'm definitely of a mind that if the US athletes weren't happy with the secuirty afforded by the Greek authorities and the IOC then perhaps they shouldn't be there. I mean, if they feel they're going to pose such a great added risk that they need extra security then are they not adding this level of risk to everyone at the games including spectators, officials and other athletes. After all, what are the chances of terrorists striking so precisely that only US, Isreali (and possibly British) athletes were injured?

Absolutely none is the answer, because that's part of the point of terrorism, that's why it's so feared; for a large part, as long as terrorists get their target (and the associated all-important press coverage and publicity) then chances are, the peripeheral damage is irrelevant to them.

Oh well, that was me just thinking out loud as well...

The segregating of American and Israeli atheletes is about the politics of fear - the atheletes themselves dont have a word in the matter and should not be criticized. In terms of begin pampered...well, tell that to people that have worked for this moment since early childhood, and the parents and friends who helped sacrifice to get them there..

the atheletes themselves dont have a word in the matter

Geez, are these people adults?

Of course they have a say FFS, even US 'athletes' are allowed to show some sort of thought process, well, if the steroids hadn't addled their brains that is.

...and should not be criticized

Well, I'm still going to, I can't stand this wishy-washy stance, jesus, take some responsibility for the situation - either stand up and be counted and don't go along with it, or sit back and accept the situation and have me think of you as a spineless, thoughtless and retarded coward incapable of independant thought. Perhaps if they feel strongly against the situation they should make a stand and make a sacrifice not to have that new mansion or maybe that holiday home in Aspen will have to take a back seat.

In terms of begin pampered...well, tell that to people that have worked for this moment since early childhood, and the parents and friends who helped sacrifice to get them there..

Examples?

...or is this just some ill-thought out sprouting to try and subdue my inane ramblings?

The "Olympic Spirit"

method, if I'm one of the ugly Americans waddling into your bar while I'm visiting Greece, how much will your Olympic spirits cost me? What special drinks have you concocted for this major event?

It's on the house koop

oh... did I tell you I have tickets for the baseball final?

Enjoy the baseball....best sport on the planet. Our USA basketball team got their butts handed to them today by a mediocre Italian team. Our big stars and coaches got an instant attitude adjustment in this pre-Olympic scrimmage.

By the way, I'm not actually going to be in Greece, but what do you charge for Olympic drinks? Have you increased prices for the tourist trade, and have you invented any drinks for this special event....like perhaps a drink called a Javelin, which might have a sharp, tangy taste and might be served in a long, thin glass.

I like baseball a lot and even play some but I consider football (soccer for you) the best sport. I'll be watching the game between Cuba and Greece and the final.

You're baseball team also got kicked out of the Olympics. Major upset. Was it Mexico that beat you?

Also, no special drinks as far as I know but some bars will have specials. Prices vary from bar to bar. 2 euros up to 10 if you want to hang out with VIPs

I can't stand this wishy-washy stance, jesus, take some responsibility for the situation - either stand up and be counted and don't go along with it, or sit back and accept the situation and have me think of you as a spineless, thoughtless and retarded coward incapable of independant thought.  ...or is this just some ill-thought out sprouting to try and subdue my inane ramblings?

Frankly, to think that athletes set policy, or that they all live in Aspen mansions, just shows how ill-informed you are. And - as to your punk-ass swipe at my reply to your post, knock the chip of your shoulder and be as respectful to people on the is board as we are to everyone else or fuck off. You think you have everything figured out politically and that you are holier than thou--but the fact of the matter is you are less tolerant than the people your criticize - pathetic and hypocritical.

There is no collective conscious of the American people, or at the very least, it does not include me.

Exactly - there are many voices here

I can't stand this wishy-washy stance, jesus, take some responsibility for the situation - either stand up and be counted and don't go along with it, or sit back and accept the situation and have me think of you as a spineless, thoughtless and retarded coward incapable of independant thought.  ...or is this just some ill-thought out sprouting to try and subdue my inane ramblings?

Frankly, to think that athletes set policy, or that they all live in Aspen mansions, just shows how ill-informed you are. And - as to your punk-ass swipe at my reply to your post, knock the chip of your shoulder and be as respectful to people on the is board as we are to everyone else or fuck off. You think you have everything figured out politically and that you are holier than thou--but the fact of the matter is you are less tolerant than the people your criticize - pathetic and hypocritical.

:I gotta see this:

Frankly, to think that athletes set policy

I never once said they set policy, nor do I believe they do. However, if they don't agree with the policy then surely they can make their voice heard or not turn up or they could go against the policy whilst in Greece.

or that they all live in Aspen mansions, just shows how ill-informed you are.

Aspen was merely an anology that stood for the big expensive things that athletes like to buy. They run down the track wearing gold-chains, am to believe that these people are poor? It seems we'll have to agree to diagree on this one.

as to your punk-ass swipe at my reply to your post, knock the chip of your shoulder and be as respectful to people on the is board as we are to everyone else

Re-reading my reply it does intimate that I'm accusing you of being spineless, retarded et al, and I am not suggesting such a thing for an instant. However, as for showing respect, I quote:

well, tell that to people that have worked for this moment since early childhood, and the parents and friends who helped sacrifice to get them there.

Firstly, I see this as condescending and secondly, if you show me an athlete who's parents sacrificed as much as mine did then I'll happily conceed, until then, I remain unmoved in my opinion.

or fuck off.

This doesn't seem very respectful.

but the fact of the matter is you are less tolerant than the people your criticize

Yep, this is true, I am extremely intolerant towards other people. However, did I miss something? Where did I mention anything even relating to tolerance?

pathetic and hypocritical.

/me muses on this statement.

Now, I'm fully aware that this seems like another 'swipe' but let's be fair, if I can be accused of displaying such disrespect and hypocrisy, then surely I am entitled to show this trait up in the attitude and replies of the accusor?

Edited by Stuzb

Firstly, I see this as condescending and secondly, if you show me an athlete who's parents sacrificed as much as mine did then I'll happily conceed, until then, I remain unmoved in my opinion.

Gymnasts, skaters, runners, rowers, skiiers, and the list goes on, are not paid athletes or trust fund babies. How anyone could think that all athletes are weathy or sponsored is beyond me.

Man, don't you have better things to do than make ridiculous and condescending arguments?

How anyone could think that all athletes are weathy or sponsored is beyond me.

Ok, so I may be slightly misled, but how am I to think any different when people who know the truth ie you, stick to generalisations not backed up with examples or facts.

I like to learn, I actively encourage it, I would welcome any information, but so far none has been forthcoming.

You feel vehemently and this is obvious but I need far more substantitive references than your say-so. This is all I was ever asking for.

Here's one example. I once did some research for the Kineseology dept at UCLA on skaters. In essence, I had to transcribe taped interviews with kid athletes. They would get up every 4 am, and the parents would dutifully take them to practice before school. They had very tough coaches, and the transcripts would discuss the rigermerole that they would have to go thru. These skaters started training at 6 years of age, and this would continue through high school, up and to the Olympics. The parents and kids talked about the strain of no money, no support, abusive coaches, rivalries, along with the usual growing up stuff. These Olympian bound skaters have to do cake and brownie sells to raise money to support their dreams. If you want to learn more, contact the UCLA Kineseology Dept for more info.. Logic dictates, that the other Olympic hopefuls in non-professional disciplines more than likely went thru the save trevails...

Ok, so I may be slightly misled, but how am I to think any different when people who know the truth ie you, stick to generalisations not backed up with examples or facts.

I like to learn, I actively encourage it, I would welcome any information, but so far none has been forthcoming.

You feel vehemently and this is obvious but I need far more substantitive references than your say-so. This is all I was ever asking for.

Stuzb, when I need information I do the YahooGoogle dance. I find everything I need to know, I get to sift through it and accept or reject whatever I think is relevant, and I don't have to rely on the truth as other people shape it. I have any number of sources of information which insure balance and accuracy.

Who the hell cares if we want extra security...if anyone else wants it i'm sure they can have it...let us bask in our paranoia in peace.

Plus Israel has reason to be paranoid at the olympics (aka the 11 dead athletes turned hostages from Munich in 1972).