Beatking Musicians

Crazy Diamond

WHAT IS A DIDGERIDOO?

ABORIGINAL PEOPLE IN HARMONY WITH NATURE

"As with imagemaking, Aboriginal music also unites consciousness with the invisible laws and energy patterns of nature(that's why I dig it). Aboriginal art is perhaps most accurately described as a method for gaining knowledge of nature and its invisible Dreaming. An example is the playing of the didjeridoo, a long wooden flute, perhaps the oldest musical instrument on earth.

Traditionally, an Aborigine would go into nature and listen intensely to animal sounds, not just voices but also the flapping of wings or the thump of feet on the ground. The Aborigine would also listen to the sounds of wind, thunder, trees creaking, and water running. The essences of all these sounds were played with as much accuracy as possible within the droning sound of the didjereedoo. For the Aborigine, the observation of nature immediately requires a state of empathy, which leads to am imitative expression."

Ref

Voices of the First Day

Published by Inner Traditional

WHAT IS A DIDGERIDOO?

10 FACTS

1 Possibly the world's oldest musical instrument

2. A wind instrument originally found in Arnhem Land, Northern Australia.

3 Is made from limbs and tree trunks hollowed out by termites (insects).

4 Is cut to an average length of 1.3 metres and cleaned out with a stick. or hot coals.

5 Was used as an accompaniment to chants and songs.

6 Produces a low-pitch, resonant sound with complex rhythmic patterns.

7 In sure tribal groups only played by men but in most groups by men, women and children.

8 Traditional various forms at the didjeridoo where found in Central Australia around Alice Springs.

9. The Didgeridoo is the sound of Australia.

10. If the earth had a voice it would be the sound of the Didgeridoo.

I thought some of you would like to know :bigsmile: :lol:

How I play: 1. Pull your lips over your teeth like you're trying to hide them. 2. place your mouth firmly on the lip if the digger 3. vibrate them like you are trying to play your trumpet yet try to keep your lips in the same position (hidden right inside your mouth.) .. that's the basic idea... and that's just how I play it.. I've never had any formal training of course :lol: ... just like any instrument it may take some time to feel it out. It's the cyclical breathing that's the hard part.. but you may already know how to do that well ... being a wind instrument player and all :bigsmile:

Edited by joeyz

yeah I can circular breath (I can give you hints on that if you want), and I make a sound...kind of a buzz as if i'm playing a trombone. But it just sounds like i'm honking on a cardboard tube as opposed to the awesome tone I know it sounds like...do you know how to make the pitch/growl bend?

How I play: 1. Pull your lips over your teeth like you're trying to hide them. 2. place your mouth firmly on the lip if the digger 3. vibrate them like you are trying to play your trumpet yet try to keep your lips in the same position (hidden right inside your mouth.) .. that's the basic idea...

I'd like to see a series of demonstrative pictures of that :lol:

I'd like to see a series of demonstrative pictures of that :lol:

yeah I bet you would :lol: .... I might be able to manage that actually... but on second thought... I don't know if you could handle the excitement :lol:

yeah I can circular breath (I can give you hints on that if you want), and I make a sound...kind of a buzz as if i'm playing a trombone. But it just sounds like i'm honking on a cardboard tube as opposed to the awesome tone I know it sounds like...do you know how to make the pitch/growl bend?

Instruction video soon to come :bigsmile: