• It will go fine, the people welcome their new democracy
    • It will go fine, the U.S. military will keep order
    • It will go poorly, Iraqis never chose democracy
    • It will go poorly, the government is seen as a U.S. puppet
    • It won't happen, the U.S. won't risk turning control over
    • It won't happen, the government would almost immeadiately fall

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

My vote: It will go poorly, the government is seen as a U.S. puppet

True, not everyone feels this way, but when you can have a group of people all come together and feel one way, sooner or later, people will start to believe them, and they might be in power. I'm talking about the people who are anti-American.

Anyway, it may go well still, it will just not be immediately. I think that the people there feel as if this is almost a US hand picked government that they did not vote for.

They will be seen as a puppet goverment. Not only that, but they will be incapable of keeping order themselves, and will need the support of the U.S. military. At the same time they may ask the U.S. to leave anyway, and the people will spout out about how the U.S. lied about leaving, and that they are occupiers, if/when the U.S. refuse.

The dissent and attacks will worsen.

Also, it would be impossible to hold elections now. Hell, they'd probably blow up the buildings that hold the elections, or mow people down with Ak-47s if they tried to vote.

Im not as pessimistic as the above category boxes. I think it will be shakey at first, but it will take full UN intervention to get this country back on its feet.

Part of the reason why Poppy Bush halted the Gulf War, the power vacuum that would ensue once we left. Things are only 10 times worse there now with his nitwit son as commander-in-chief; its totally obvious that the present Iraqi gov. is just a bunch of US toadies, an asskissing gov. in exile that fed W's intelligence goons with all sorts of things they wanted to hear.

My heart hopes that things are going to get better in Iraq if we leave, but my gut tells me the percieved (whether real or not) connection with the US occupation force will be a tough taste for most Iraqi's to wash from their mouths come June 30.

Edited by CTC Command

I think that there will be a ligitmacy issue until after their first election which is only natural for anyone to be a bit wary, they just got rid of a evil dictator and many dont want another one. And the handover to the interm government is the step towards elections which and i think the elections are going to be much more significant than the handover in things..

Many local governments have been going on for a while now and i think many are optimistic about things other than security. Anyone who is taking part of any democratic processes is a target and until they is under control there is still a amount of fear and intimidation that is still there.

It just takes time, it took the USA over 20 years to fully stabilize after the revolution.

It's a tough choice so I decided to go with Umma's turnovers. I prefer apple with the icing thingy. As I enjoy my turnover I will be thankful that I am not eating it in Iraq. I don't think it would be as tasty with a layer of sand or coated in burnt gunpowder. Shrapnel gets stuck in teeth and is difficult to remove.