WinMX 3.52 Beta 5 Review

HolyLiaison

Don't take most of jippers comments to heart.

He can be a bit "off" at times. I suppose that's putting it nicely, after what you had to put up with.

Anyway, welcome to BeatKing (if I haven't already posted in a welcome thread of yours), and do feel free to give us more articles and opinions! I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of BeatKing users to be open-minded and friendly, while not appearing overly docile (we all have our passions and opinions).

And here, take a bouncing frog...... :frog:

Don't take most of jippers comments to heart.

He can be a bit "off" at times. I suppose that's putting it nicely, after what you had to put up with.

Anyway, welcome to BeatKing (if I haven't already posted in a welcome thread of yours), and do feel free to give us more articles and opinions! I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of BeatKing users to be open-minded and friendly, while not appearing overly docile (we all have our passions and opinions).

And here, take a bouncing frog...... :frog:

Yay a flamming frog! :bigsmile:

I'm not really new. But thanks. lol

I think for the most part Holy Liason is correct about WinMX. The GUI sucks and has sucked for a long time and hasnt changed since it was a open napster cilent. They still havent not gotten queues or partial file sharing to work for over two years now. They need to start acting like they are a serious program again and fix these problems.

The only thing i didnt agree with the orginal post is multiple networks. Because multi-networks doesnt automatically mean better files, and better speed. They are hard to maintain and since WinMX seems to have trouble maining their own network i dont see how they would be able to actively support other networks.

Yes, the GUI does suck on WinMX.

That being said, the GUI sucks on a lot of P2P applications as well. Kazaa had one of the worst GUIs out there (not to out do Morpheus, though).

Morpheus's gui sucks worst of all. As far as the actual network goes, WinMX is good. I like the service. WinMX queues I can handle most days.

I also like how WinMX doesn't have the "ratio" system like Overnet/eDonkey/BT has. I'm no leech, I share. I just don't like being forced into it.

;)

I've heard this before. The same has been said of other apps too. What's more important, a nice appearance, or quality files? I'll take the quality files. What an app looks like means very little to me.

It might have quality files, but can you get those files with out waiting forever? And in the process of waiting have many of the sources drop offline? It's quite annoying and useless to me.

Not to mention a nice UI makes things more efficient. Yeah I can use ugly programs, nothing wrong with that. It's just a lot nicer to have one that looks good and has a good layout.

I also like how WinMX doesn't have the "ratio" system like Overnet/eDonkey/BT has. I'm no leech, I share. I just don't like being forced into it.

BitTorrent is different though. You're not forced in to sharing other files. You share the parts of the file you've downloaded already, and if you feel like sharing some more once you are done downloading you can just leave it running.

That's what makes BT so efficient is everyone has to share what they're currently downloading. Nothing beats the speeds I get on BT. Nothing.

Edited by HolyLiaison

The only thing i didnt agree with the orginal post is multiple networks. Because multi-networks doesnt automatically mean better files, and better speed. They are hard to maintain and since WinMX seems to have trouble maining their own network i dont see how they would be able to actively support other networks.

It's not about better files, or speed. It's about supporting P2P in general. Yeah their network is good and all, to some extent, but supporting other networks will help the P2P population grow more. Making more files available all around.

Like I said, Direct Connect could be done. The gift network could be added too. Which would be really nice.

It's not about better files, or speed. It's about supporting P2P in general. Yeah their network is good and all, to some extent, but supporting other networks will help the P2P population grow more. Making more files available all around.

Like I said, Direct Connect could be done. The gift network could be added too. Which would be really nice.

The problem is that all of these multi-network programs at one time or another have bugs or are outdated with one or more protocol. They just dont offer the quality that the programs that specialize in that one network offers. Which since its all about convience, some loss in quality is the price of that convience.

Multiple networks might share files on multiple networks but the amount of bandwidth will stay the same. Serve a file fast on one network or slowly across multple ones.

In the end your not making the pie bigger your just cutting it into more and smaller pieces.

The way to get more people to use P2P is to explore different applications and to diversify p2p to create more uses than just file sharing and to attract a larger group of people.

The problem is that all of these multi-network programs at one time or another have bugs or are outdated with one or more protocol. They just dont offer the quality that the programs that specialize in that one network offers. Which since its all about convience, some loss in quality is the price of that convience.

Multiple networks might share files on multiple networks but the amount of bandwidth will stay the same. Serve a file fast on one network or slowly across multple ones.

In the end your not making the pie bigger your just cutting it into more and smaller pieces.

The way to get more people to use P2P is to explore different applications and to diversify p2p to create more uses than just file sharing and to attract a larger group of people.

Adding more networks to WinMX would diversify P2P more. People have the options to disable the networks they don't want to use on P2P apps. Options, people like options. Just look at Trillian.

And on the badwidth side ISP's are beefing up high speed connections everyday, adding more bandwidth and what not. Connecting to four networks on my Cable connection doesn't slow me down one bit. Yeah 56k users have to suffer, but they deserve it (just kidding lol)... they have the options to disable things they don't need, or don't have to use at that moment.

I dunno, I agree in a way with what you said though. But I always like expansion to see what people come up with next. Technology is exciting, and I like to see it expand.

I tried WinMX once for about ten minutes before I got pissed and wondered what the fuss was all about

People keep saying it has amazing amounts of rare music...is that more rare music than Ares, DC, or Soulseek?? Cause those I don't have to wait in line for (usually) and I haven't really had any problems finding anything...is the selection on the network that good?

I tried WinMX once for about ten minutes before I got pissed and wondered what the fuss was all about

People keep saying it has amazing amounts of rare music...is that more rare music than Ares, DC, or Soulseek?? Cause those I don't have to wait in line for (usually) and I haven't really had any problems finding anything...is the selection on the network that good?

Not really. Nothing you couldn't find else where. Like BitTorrent, Shareaza, KCeasy, Mammoth, Ares, DC, Soulseek, whatever.

Like I always say. BitTorrent is my P2P of choice. Everything I'll ever need is available somewhere on the internet over BitTorrent. For me, it's the greatest invention since sliced bread. ;)

I used this in the pre version 3+ days. As fas as I'm concerned the network turned ugly quick around then. Guys asking for a trade? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet. It could only work if you have the same number of files and the same interests. Then you both probably have the damn file anyway.

I used this in the pre version 3+ days. As fas as I'm concerned the network turned ugly quick around then. Guys asking for a trade? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet. It could only work if you have the same number of files and the same interests. Then you both probably have the damn file anyway.

Exactly when I started using it. Now it's garbage unless you like waiting forever for stuff you could get in a couple minutes elsewhere. ;)

i love opennap...it makes life interesting (and you get a lot of good stuff on it as well!!!)..winmx rocks.....and rocks...and rocks..

Actually that's the only part of WinMX I like. Is the opennap support. :bigsmile:

Wish they would make it easier for people to use though.

t might have quality files, but can you get those files with out waiting forever? And in the process of waiting have many of the sources drop offline? It's quite annoying and useless to me.

I understand. But I'm a big fan of 70's hard rock. Most of the time there is little or no wait for this. i will use WinMx when that is the case. it's not my primary app, but I kind of still like it.