Summer Movies: The Chronicles of Riddick

riddick.jpgVin Diesel's sequel to Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick," opens today nationwide. According to the NYTimes reviewer Stephen Holden, "it is all about nonstop action, computer-generated spectacle and sanitized sadomasochism, edited into one big, roaring whir. There is continual hand-to-hand combat, but little blood. Although the body count is high, there are no death throes...."If you can deadlift 300 lbs, you're the man!"

You can read the full review here:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2004/06/11/movies/11RIDD.html

I know I'm not Bombardier :P I liked Pitch Black a lot for what it was. It was a total sleeper that was actaully pretty good. Vin Diesel's real breakout film i thought. But I hated xXx, Knockaround guys, and A Man Apart... weeeek. Boiler Room, Saving Private Ryan, Pitch Black, and the Fast and the Furious were all pretty good tho.

I saw the first 10 minutes of the movie on a TNT cable special or something - it looks ok....

And then there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

Not Vin Diesel, kinda like Animatrix I think....

I have to agree with cjules. This looks promising and Pitch Black was pretty good although the tint they used got hard on the eyes after a while. But I like how they stuck to the realism of the location they were at. xXx and A Man Apart weren't that great, but Private Ryan and F&TF was good.

I actually liked Pitch Black, and I’m not surprised they choose to do a sequel/spin-off of Riddick.

It's a really good character to build a movie on. Vin Diesel fits perfectly.

I don't think of this movie as a sequel to Pitch Black, more like a supplement, that explores in more detail a certain character from the film, because it deserves more exploration!

He's got that "good"/"bad" mix, and from what I’ve heard, the whole movie has its mixes like that.

I seen the "behind the scenes" half hour TV special on the Sci-Fi Channel, and the sets and works created for the film are really intriguing. It's like a mix of "Stargate" and the Roman Empire.

I’ll give it a watch first, before I go see it in theaters. Just to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Review: 'Riddick' Game Better Than Movie

Perhaps Vin Diesel should stick with video games: "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" is a superlative new title for the Xbox.

Critics generally have bashed his movie, "The Chronicles of Riddick." "Butcher Bay," however, delivers with great graphics, precise controls, a streamlined interface and immersive gameplay.

Diesel's own company, Tigon Studios, helped create the game, and it's set in the same gritty sci-fi universe as "The Chronicles of Riddick" and "Pitch Black."

Read entire story here.