A lesson in posting

Malicious Intent

How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

I disagree with this posting on the grounds that the entire history of the light bulb has been bastardized due to the shameless self promotion and otherwise lionization of one Thomas Alva Edison. While he may have produced the first commercially sucessful light bulb he was not, by far, the inventor as is so erroneoously claimed by so many. The first patented light bulb was in fact issued to one Henry Woodson of Toronto. thats right, we have a Canadian to thank for the light bulb. Prior to that, coal gas lighting was patented by a German inventor by the name of Winzer.

which leads us to an entirely different conspiracy. namely, one involving Edison and his succesful attempts to marginalize and discredit all the works of his competitor Westinghouse who- in retrospect- most likely had developed a far superior system for transferring electrical current. well, maybe not far better, but still superior.

so, in conclusion, I can not accept the above list as it is based almost entirely on erroneous information.

and btw, dont mind me, Im just playing to the stereotypes.

my posts seem to be a little to adult tho...i start it in teh secret mod section

Jippers - the Provocateur :lol:

I disagree with this posting on the grounds that the entire history of the light bulb has been bastardized due to the shameless self promotion and otherwise lionization of one Thomas Alva Edison. While he may have produced the first commercially sucessful light bulb he was not, by far, the inventor as is so erroneoously claimed by so many. The first patented light bulb was in fact issued to one Henry Woodson of Toronto. thats right, we have a Canadian to thank for the light bulb. Prior to that, coal gas lighting was patented by a German inventor by the name of Winzer.

which leads us to an entirely different conspiracy. namely, one involving Edison and his succesful attempts to marginalize and discredit all the works of his competitor Westinghouse who- in retrospect- most likely had developed a far superior system for transferring electrical current. well, maybe not far better, but still superior.

so, in conclusion, I can not accept the above list as it is based almost entirely on erroneous information.

and btw, dont mind me, Im just playing to the stereotypes.

Actually

1. "sucessful" is spelled - SUCCESSFUL (misspelling)

2. "self promotion" should be - SELF-PROMOTION (hyphen error)

3. "erroneoously" is spelled - ERRONEOUSLY (misspelling)

4. "thats" should be - THAT'S (apostrophe)

5. "succesful" is spelled - SUCCESSFUL (misspelling again? someone buy this guy a dictionary)

6. "well," should be - Well (capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence)

7. "can not" should be - CANNOT (wow! shockingly stupid mistake there)

8. "dont" should be - DON'T (yet another apostrophe problem you need some work on your contractions)

9. Im (you tell me what the problem is *oops* :psychofun: :psychofun: )

Nine mistakes! There were more than that, but those were the obvious ones that need to be addressed in order to effectively communicate on the board. I think we should all take up a collection so we can buy gorphon a f*#king clue! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by joeyz

wow... I think I made a friend! and btw joeyz... Im still not ever going to take the time to use proper grammar or even an apostrophe for such a callow fellow as yourself.

correct my online grammar/spelling all you want. i couldnt care less and it is your time to waste. however, for future reference, calling someone a dumb ass without provocation is generally frowned upon by the vast majority of society. it is rude and does no more than show you to be uncouth and uncultured.

as for light bulbs, I am of the opinion that a group of forum users trying to change one would forever be living in the dark.

wow... I think I made a friend! and btw joeyz... Im still not ever going to take the time to use proper grammar or even an apostrophe for such a callow fellow as yourself.

correct my online grammar/spelling all you want. i couldnt care less and it is your time to waste. however, for future reference, calling someone a dumb ass without provocation is generally frowned upon by the vast majority of society. it is rude and does no more than show you to be uncouth and uncultured.

as for light bulbs, I am of the opinion that a group of forum users trying to change one would forever be living in the dark.

:rofl: :rotfl: surely you knew I was joking? :rofl:

I assumed you were. actually I was laughing up until you called me a dumb ass. I guess I just take things like that more seriously than some.

and I was joking too. a group of forum users could eventually change a light bulb. Immediately following would be milk and cookies.

heh. malicious intent should make this his first case study in an ongoing investigation of forum posting habits and interactions between individuals. any sociology majors out there?

:lol: I knew you were joking but I am not sure he did. :lol: I hope he did and that his reply was tongue in cheek, but one thing is for sure, he knows a lot about you!! I agree that you are rude, uncouth and uncultured. I thought that was the description of "good ol' boy" in the dictionary! I wish I had a dollar for evertime I have been called rude and uncouth. I don't think I have ever been called uncultured though. btw I didn't know anybody from Ga could spell or even knew what an apostrophe is. You are too much. If you insult me I will call you a "pecker head". :rofl: Next time I come to Ga I will have to look you up and we can go possum hunting or something! You ain't got any mules do ya?? :good job:

/me retracts dumb ass remark...

sorry if I offended you ;) ... sometimes I let my sardonic tone get out of hand :bigsmile: :psychofun: For future reference, I never set out to pick fights. :hug:

:lol: I knew you were joking but I am not sure he did. :lol: I hope he did and that his reply was tongue in cheek, but one thing is for sure, he knows a lot about you!! I agree that you are rude, uncouth and uncultured. I thought that was the description of "good ol' boy" in the dictionary! I wish I had a dollar for evertime I have been called rude and uncouth. I don't think I have ever been called uncultured though. btw I didn't know anybody from Ga could spell or even knew what an apostrophe is. You are too much. If you insult me I will call you a "pecker head". :rofl: Next time I come to Ga I will have to look you up and we can go possum hunting or something! You ain't got any mules do ya?? :good job:

:rofl: :rotfl: :lol:

I agree that you are rude, uncouth and uncultured.
I take offense to that comming from you! :lol:

You better stay away from my mules Redneck! We consider our mules pets not semen dumpsters! :reallymad: I think I'd have to call PETA on you! If you called me a "pecker head" i'd just call you a "Dill Weed" right back :P !

I assumed you were. actually I was laughing up until you called me a dumb ass.

Joking aside, name calling is discouraged here, even if its in jest (except for Redneck, cause he's a right winger and deserves all the ridicule we can muster)... The internet has a way of creating misinterpretations...

I am totally offended by this entire "misunderstanding" if that's what it can be called. This is a thread about a thread about lightbulbs. If you guys want to talk about something else, then start a new thread or take to PM.

I think we should temp ban joeyz for calling Gorphon a dumbass, and temp ban Gorphon for denying the truth that he is a dumbass and then permantly ban Redneck for failing to properly capitalize the entire abbreviation for his state, (it's GA, dumbass!) and while we're at it we should temp ban Ken, just so he doesn't feel left out.