Report: 18,000 al Qaeda fighters

Bombardier

LONDON, England (AP) -- Despite losses around the world, al Qaeda has more than 18,000 potential terrorists, and its ranks are growing because of the conflict in Iraq, a leading think tank warned Tuesday.

Al Qaeda still has a functioning leadership despite the death or capture of key figures, and estimates suggest al Qaeda operates in more than 60 nations around the world, the International Institute of Strategic Studies said in its Strategic Survey 2003-4.

The terrorist group poses a growing threat to Western interests and attacks are likely to increase, the institute said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/05/25...a.ap/index.html

Despite losses around the world, al Qaeda has more than 18,000 potential terrorists, and its ranks are growing because of the conflict in Iraq, a leading think tank warned Tuesday.

Seems like the war in Iraq is having the opposite affect from what the president intended, not that it wasn't predictable.

The estimate of 18,000 fighters was based on intelligence estimates that al Qaeda trained at least 20,000 fighters in its training camps in Afghanistan before the United States and its allies ousted the Taliban regime. In the ensuing war on terror, some 2,000 al Qaeda fighters have been killed or captured, the survey said.

'Potential' terrorists. It's a funny term. Was this a terrorist training camp? Is there such a thing? Or are they thinking that anyone that was trained by al Qaeda is capable?

No need to answer, I know it's the last one. Still strange. They don't even say they have killed or captured 2000 terrorists, just 'fighters'.

are you angry about the Al Queda growing or angry the American president's actions?

Both would be a good answer

Im angry that the President's actions have stirred up Al Queda recruits. Ive even angrier that Al Queda exists - they are not human.

What other country is as vocal about stopping Al Queda as the USA?

Im a peacenic - but I have absolutely no sympathy for the Al Queda. And I have to agree with you, MX. Where is the rest of the world when it comes to these thugs?

Yep, there a number of countries like Canada and Australia that are helping out. But this should be a unified effort of the whole world...in my opinion.. and that's what I meant bny 'the rest of the world'...

All members of the UN are in Afghanistan (including Greece). The UN members voted no for the war in Iraq so they are not participating.

And please stop saying that the US is alone on fighting terrorism and they are the only ones who want to fight terrorism because THE WHOLE WORLD is fighting against terrorism. The ONLY thing that they don't participate in is the war in Iraq

And please stop saying that the US is alone on fighting terrorism and they are the only ones who want to fight terrorism  because THE WHOLE WORLD is fighting against terrorism.

I didnt say the US is fighting terrorism alone - I said where is the rest of the world (in making a concerted effort) against the Al Queda... (As you know, I was and remain against the incursion into Iraq)

I think the US put terrorism on the front burner, thought I disagree with the diversion into Iraq. I think the UN should be a unifying force in bringing down the Al Queda.. It seems to me that there are alot of countries on the sideline in that effort...and for that matter, the US lost focus, too, by going into Iraq

I think the US put terrorism on the front burner, thought I disagree with the diversion into Iraq. I think the UN should be a unifying force in bringing down the Al Queda.. It seems to me that there are alot of countries on the sideline in that effort...and for that matter, the US lost focus, too, by going into Iraq

Trust me Dude. All countries want terrorism to stop. The US just chose the wrong way by disagreeing with the UN council and starting this war.

Just to end this conversation, I'll tell you what would be the biggest "hit" against terrorism:

Solve the Palestinian issue

I hate to be a cynic - but I dont think either side wants peace. Clinton came close though to forging a deal - lets hope peace will come to that region.

I don't think the Palestinian issue even has a feasible solution.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't peace between Israel and Palestein will occur unless one completely wipes the other out.

Then agian, that's not peace either; That's domination.

:wacko:

I don't think the Palestinian issue even has a feasible solution.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't peace between Israel and Palestein will occur unless one completely wipes the other out.

Then agian, that's not peace either; That's domination.

:wacko:

I think genocide would be a better word.

Here is my observation + opinion. I think groups like Al Qaeda formed for a reason. The US didn't suddenly just get hated, it happened over time with the foreign policy. While I think that Al Qaeda needs to be stopped, it isn't just limited to them.

While I think that Al Qaeda needs to be stopped, it isn't just limited to them.
that's exectly what I meant. The main issue that needs to be solved is the Palestinian. That's one thing we can all agree on.

True the situation in Gaza is a problem but nobody including the USA will solve it peacefully. You can't just end a holy war and not expect problems.

My main reason for my earlier post about the USA being more vocal about fighting AL Queda was to defend Bush. I beleive many other countires including those in the UN wish for an solution to end terrorism quickly. I just think that many of them are just too timid to make a move. Tony Blair is the only other individual to be as animate about it.....

Imho Bush had to react the way he did after 9/11 and due to the ties from Al Queda to Iraq. Its common knowledge that Saddam had terrorist camps training soldiers in Hijacking(with a commercial plane as a training tool), Car Bombings and Asassinations. It was time to end Saddam's bullshit.....

Imho Bush had to react the way he did after 9/11 and due to the ties from Al Queda to Iraq. Its common knowledge that Saddam had terrorist camps training soldiers in Hijacking(with a commercial plane as a training tool), Car Bombings and Asassinations.

I don't know about common knowledge. I can't think of one time I saw that from a credible news source.

I have not seen the Saddam connection to Al Queda, either. In fact, the news Ive seen said the two factions did not like each other at all...