Draft bill

Medeve

I'm just here to let everyone here know about this:

Draft Bill

Basicly if this goes through its likely that there will be a draft in 2005, and you won't be saved by school or Cananda.

There's several links on the page with more information. Its an important topic and its not being covered. People should know about this.

seems to me I read where senate democrats are just using this to pressure the republican administration, insinuating they are less likely to escalate a war if their own children would be drafted, the concensus was the middle class and poor are fighting the war.

seems to me I read where senate democrats are just using this to pressure the republican administration, insinuating they are less likely to escalate a war if their own children would be drafted, the concensus was the middle class and poor are fighting the war.

Doesnt seem like it since its been Democrats who have wanted more troops abroad for a while now. They claim that they will be able to get a ton of international support but it seems that they dont think that would be enough.

I read a different article a few months ago and the democrats sponsoring the bills said something like they wanted "young people"(which i hate that term) to serve their country before school, and before careers.

The ideal that they want to intimidate the public to support their views by drafting men who not based on actual need but for their own political gain makes me sick and i think will servely backfire.

The ideal that they want to intimidate the public to support their views by drafting men who not based on actual need but for their own political gain makes me sick and i think will servely backfire.

Kerry has proposed a volunteer domestic peace corps kind of program, but i know of no democrat that supports a draft

Kerry has proposed a volunteer domestic peace corps kind of program, but i know of no democrat that supports a draft

Rep. Charles Rangel(D) and Sen. Fritz Hollings(D) are two democrats who supports a draft and both have submitted draft bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/27/...raft/index.html

Kerry's program sucks too btw, a college student who goes to school full time which is a full time job in itself and some who also work have no time to do the extra crap that Kerry wants and still be able to persue things like clubs, internships and etc. It just sounds good to the people whom it doesnt affect though which is why he put it out.

Rep. Charles Rangel(D) and Sen. Fritz Hollings(D) are two democrats who supports a draft and both have submitted draft bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/27/...raft/index.html

Kerry's program sucks too btw, a college student who goes to school full time which is a full time job in itself and some who also work have no time to do the extra crap that Kerry wants and still be able to persue things like clubs, internships and etc. It just sounds good to the people whom it doesnt affect though which is why he put it out.

Thanx for the link... that is disturbing. Traditional democratic voters like me would never support such a thing, and I think they will have an uphill battle getting it through, particularly with the mess going down in Iraq

Clinton had a small domestic program. I dont think Kerry's suggested program is necesarily a bad idea-- Kerry put it out because he thought it was a good idea--not just something that looked good to put out for his image.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

This whole bill sounds like bullshit, and I doubt it will pass.

Besides, I will only serve my country if it is threatened.

At the moment, they have many many times the number of troops needed to safeguard the homeland.

Agreed, but we (in the U.S.) have not had that problem for quite a long time and I don't really forsee it happening in the near future.

Plus with guys like Redneck which are armed to thier teeth (figure of speech) around no one will be stupid enough to invade. :lol:

Plus with guys like Redneck which are armed to thier teeth (figure of speech) around no one will be stupid enough to invade. :lol:

That's certainly reassuring :0

...but, I wonder how secure we are. I still dont know how its possible

all those planes were hijacked... How they were able to hit the WTC twice...

And with that lead notice, how the Pentagon was hit..

Where were/are the air defenses?