Professor seeks to ban KKK from campus

desdemona

Professor seeks to ban KKK from campus

Friday, May 21, 2004 Posted: 7:51 AM EDT (1151 GMT)

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- University of Louisville professor Ede Warner has a unique plan to keep the Ku Klux Klan off his campus: He wants the school to ban the group, then argue in court that it's a terrorist organization.

"Nobody has ever done that," Warner said.

Klan members started posting fliers on campus early in the spring semester to protest diversity programs sponsored by the school. That stirred debate among faculty and administrators that has taken place on campuses around the country: how far the university can go to keep some groups off campus and how to best deal with unpopular ideas in the academic setting.

What makes the Louisville situation so unusual is the presence of the KKK, said Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Alabama, which tracks the Klan and other hate groups.

read the full article here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/05/21/un...n.ap/index.html

In a free society, you have to live with everyone. If the KKK doesnt break the laws, then they have the rights to free speech as much as anyone...no matter how deplorable their pov is

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

The KKK population is dwindling and I doubt it'll be my generation, but in a few more generations, the KKK will just be a part of American history.

In a free society, you have to live with everyone. If the KKK doesnt break the laws, then they have the rights to free speech as much as anyone...no matter how deplorable their pov is

true

The KKK population is dwindling and I doubt it'll be my generation, but in a few more generations, the KKK will just be a part of American history.

I hope you're right man.

I watched American Black Forum on some channel in the middle of the night. (Incidentally, it was a great program and I hope I was watching a re-run rather than think it runs at 4 in the morning) The four guests, one from NAACP, one from another think-tank and 2 journalists, were debating thee Iraqi war situation.

One of them would only describe Arabs as 'they'. "They' are the enemy, it's us against 'them'. He actually said that he appreciated the way 9/11 solidified Black people's place in America, now it was everyone against the Arabs.

As long as ideas like this are harbored, much less broadcast on television, I have to doubt that the sort of thought that created the KKK is dwindling. Even if that organization falls, there are lots of hate groups available.

I'm with the professor on this one, I don't believe hate groups should be allowed at an institution for higher education. Prejudices in general show a lack of intelligence. What's next, the KKK for lunch at the White House?

I think its pretty funny that your beginning sentence is "In a free society, you have to live with everyone." but your talking about groups that are completely against that about how they should have a right to spread their message of hate, intolerance and violence. Not only that but also taking away the rights of others too.

No only is it completely against what free societies stand for, its not protected by the constitution either and in fact other admendments were added to protect the rights of citizens that these types of groups and other hate groups try to take away.

I think its pretty funny that your beginning sentence is "In a free society, you have to live with everyone."

Please don't twist my statements. You neglected to add my second/qualifying line about free speech. The mere suggestion that I support the KKK or any hate group, in any way, shape or form, is preposterous, and you are treading very dangerous ground...back off and quickly.

Please don't twist my statements. You neglected to add my second/qualifying line about free speech. The mere suggestion that I support the KKK or any hate group, in any way, shape or form, is preposterous, and you are treading very dangerous ground...back off and quickly.

No, and i think its sad and pathetic that you would assume that i meant anything like that. Im sure you believe these groups are wrong, immoral and stand completely against the ideals and principles of this country.

Free Speech doesnt guarentee them the right to take others rights away which isnt protected in the consitution so this is not about constitutional rights at all as you insisted that it was.

Even if it is my point is that these groups dont respect these rights and shouldnt expect to be protected by the same rights they disrespect and want to take away from others. Why should they be allowed to disrespect the rights of others and yet its expected of everyone else to respect their "rights" to preach about taking about the rights and freedoms of others even if we dont agree with them. It makes absoluetely no sense to me.

No, and i think its sad and pathetic that you would assume that i meant anything like that.

Then dont lead your rebuttal with " I think its pretty funny that your beginning sentence is "In a free society, you have to live with everyone." One of the problems with internet thread exchanges like this is that they can easily misinterpreted by others. Which is why I think its best to reply to other comments and not the individual.

No harm, no foul.

You cannot quash injustice, with injustice.

Do not tread on free speech. Punish them when they commit acts that are punishable. The KKK has committed them in the past, but these individuals, in this situation, are to my knowledge, not guilty of any crimes.

As for this situation, a college is a private institution, correct? So if they decide to get rid of them, because they say they're evil space aliens, who like to steal ice-cream, then so be it.

My personal feelings are obviously 100% against an organization that feels that a human being's worth and potential are dependent upon their racial orientation.

It comes back around to the same ole' statement. “I may disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it”.