Taboo Tunes

Taboo Tunes

A History of Banned Bands & Censored Songs

A lively and provocative look at the clash between authority and sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.

From ancient Rome through the 1980s "Explicit Lyrics" labeling crusade and on to the infamous Taliban regime, repressive governments and self-appointed moral guardians have sought to limit musical expression. In this extensively researched ode to scandal, Peter Blecha recounts the travails of musicians who have dared to air "unacceptable" topics. Filled with several centuries' worth of raunchy sex ditties, morbid murder ballads, blasphemous satanic songs, paeans to intoxicating substances, and radical political anthems, Taboo Tunes lays the censors' stories bare.

Far from merely recounting dusty history, Taboo Tunes casts a much-needed spotlight on current concerns over civil liberties and artistic freedom in the post-9/11 world.

"Peter Blecha's tragicomic, comprehensive account . . . is an education, an entertainment, and a warning of how the price of cultural freedom is eternal vigilance." —Charles Shaar Murray, author, Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and the Postwar Rock 'n' Roll Revolution

"Peter Blecha tells a story of how free we aren't. It's a story every music fan needs to know. Otherwise, we might come to the false conclusion that 'You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Party' is just a slogan." —Dave Marsh, editor, Rock & Rap Confidential

"From Plato to the Sex Pistols and beyond, Taboo Tunes is a lively and valuable survey of censorship and its discontents." —Doug Honig, Communications Director, ACLU of Washington state

"Powerful music speaks to people in a way the censor can't — and having a compiled history like Taboo Tunes at hand makes this realization most clear." —Krist Novoselic, www.fixour.us founder, former Nirvana bassist

Musician/author Peter Blecha's books include Wired Wood: The Origins of the Electric Guitar, and his writings have appeared in periodicals such as Life, Vintage Guitar, and DISCoveries. Former long-time senior curator with the Experience Music Project and board member with the anti-censorship organization JAMPAC, Blecha fights the good fight from Seattle.

http://www.backbeatbooks.com/scripts/store.../store+vejv5270

Off the top of my head, things have loosened up in this respect, until the Janet Jackson incident. I can remember The Stones having to change the words of Lets Spend the Night Together when they appeared on Ed Sullivan's tv show, to Lets Spend Some Time Together... the Jefferson Airplane refusing not to play Volunteers for America on some nightly tv show.. Blind Faith's naked teen girl cover being banned... Paul McCartney's naked pictures being altered for The Beatles album... radio stations refusing to play the MC5s political Kick Out the Jams, Mother Fucker...

today, it seems anything goes in terms of recordings...

well of course things are better, if you don't produce any songs that are political, or anti-establishment. I noticed after 9/11 classic rock stations ( which invariably are controlled by clear channel), haven't played csn&y, you don't hear "find the cost of freedom" or anti-war songs on the radio AT ALL. Things seem better but actually artists nowadays don't use their music to protest anymore. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have heard alot of patriotic songs from country artists but .............. that's about it.

Edited by desdemona

not sure I know what you mean method, you don't find anti-war songs good? or you find the fact that they don't play them good?

Method says ITS NOT GOOD that artists arent playing anti-war songs these days. I agree - NOT GOOD :reallymad: :reallymad:

gotcha ;) no, I don't find it good either, and I bet if you called up and requested a tune like that, they'd never play it. :reallymad:

Banned tunes seem to do very well. The BBC have banned quite a few in past times because they were too close to the knuckle or considered to be in violation of broadcasting standards, though those rules are becoming more and more relaxed as time moves on...

Pirate radio was always great for playing the maverick. Radio Caroline was popular as an alternative back when anything new or controversial was still frowned upon by broadcasting stuffiness. I'm tickled by the idea of pirate radio broadcasting from a ship... :D

Radio Caroline Web Site