A Look At Today's Soldier

DudeAsInCool

A friend sent this short article and photos which describes the 'average soldier' in Iraq and the conditions they work in. I edited out some accompanying religious propaganda.

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or country and 155mm howizzitor. He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark . He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.

post-86-1083127261_thumb.jpg

I can't believe all these men who have never been to war themselves are putting these young people's lives on the line to try and start a democracy in this cesspool. They havent even begun to start life yet. The fact that this administration didnt even plan for it is disgusting. :reallymad: :reallymad:

i feel very bad for them. not knowing anybody who's actually over there, i can only go by my 20something friends who signed up in the late 90s, those who couldn't get jobs in NYC. 'trouble spelling' and 'obeying orders instantly' (among others) makes me think (and i hope i'm wrong) that these guys would be pushing brooms or at other McJobs in the states (that's if there were mcjobs to be had).

the entire situation sucks balls badly.

They may have chosen to be solidiers, true. But it is the responsibility of the Commander in Chief to insure that when they are sent into battle that proper preparations have been made and there were none. Zero. Zilch.

They chose to join the army, they knew that it would come one day. Better than being at home ironing newspapers to pass the time.

spoken like a true child of privilege. of course, that is an assumption on my part.

it seems to me likely that many of the young people who joined the military and are now currently fighting in iraq (and afghanistan, we dont hear about that anymore do we?) made the decision to serve out of a feeling of patriotic duty to their country. unfortunately, we have leaders who treat the military as something of their own personal force on their quest for increasing power and riches. no wonder you can see reports (in the alternative media mind you) of US soldiers committing suicide on a level never before seen in this country's military.

Your right, I'm not living on the streets. But from then on, it completely depends on your definition of privilege.

Soldiers don't commit suicide because the war may make coalition government members richer. I bet they hardly think of the politics when out there.

I think it more likely that they arn't happy fighting because they didn't fully understand the realities of war when they joined. Not that I have seen any such reports, but I feel it is as truthful as your conclusions.

nice edit DAIC. they have learned hard work and discipline that perhaps they never would have had otherwise. when they come home they will be head and shoulders above where they might otherwise have been had they not enlisted, at least as far as discipline; maybe, they can put to use what they have learned to further improve their lives and use the GI Bill (if it is still available) for further education. at least we can wish that for them. (a positive view at best)

living/visiting another country broadens experience levels regardless of the situation. the circumstances may not be the ideal of a summer vacation but it is what the job requires. at least it is not a vietnam replay at this point.

unfortunately, patirotic duty implies defense of what your "country" deems appropriate. enlisting in the military at any point during the last decade ran the risk of being sent into a conflict. there were/are just too many smouldering fires out there for that not to be/remain a reality.