local top classic rock guitarist countdown

Y-103 all time classic rock guitarist countdown

our local clear channel station plays these artists the most, but I would say a good list, the order is kinda skewed though, phil keaggy was from the same area as the radio station, I think that's why he made the list, and lynyrd skynrd plays the area alot, where you live makes a difference sometimes in who you see live and what music you tend to appreciate more, I'm sure the west coast would have included "randy california"from spirit, another great guitar player, just a reflection,this was their top 50, who should come off and who should stay? if there are responses we can create a list.

1 JIMI HENDRIX

2 ERIC CLAPTON

3 JIMMY PAGE of Led Zeppelin

4 STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

5 DUANE ALLMAN of Allman Brothers Band

6 B.B. KING

7 KEITH RICHARDS of Rolling Stones

8 JEFF BECK

9 JOE WALSH of Eagles

10 PHIL KEAGGY of Glass Harp

11 PETE TOWNSHEND of Who

12 EDDIE VAN HALEN of Van Halen

13 CARLOS SANTANA

14 JERRY GARCIA of Grateful Dead

15 ANGUS YOUNG of AC/DC

16 GEORGE HARRISON of Beatles

17 JOE PERRY of Aerosmith

18 NEIL YOUNG

19 DAVID GILMOUR of Pink Floyd

20 RITCHIE BLACKMORE of Deep Purple, Rainbow

21 TED NUGENT

22 KIRK HAMMETT of Metallica

23 BUDDY GUY

24 DAVE "THE EDGE" EVANS of U2

25 SLASH(Saul Hudson)of Guns 'N Roses

26 STEPHEN STILLS of CSNY

27 JOE SATRIANI

28 TONY IOMMI of Black Sabbath

29 MARK KNOPFLER of Dire Straits

30 BRIAN MAY of Queen

31 FRANK ZAPPA

32 RANDY RHOADS of Ozzy Osbourne

33 JOHN FOGERTY of CCR

34 DICKEY BETTS of Allman Brothers Band

35 STEVE VAI

36 JOHNNY WINTER

37 ALEX LIFESON of Rush

38 ROY BUCHANAN

39 PETER FRAMPTON

40 MICHAEL SCHENKER of Scorpions, UFO, MSG

41LESLIE WEST of Mountain

42 STEVE HOWE of Yes, Asia, GTR

43 ROBIN TROWER of Procol Harum

44 ALLEN COLLINS/ GARY ROSSINGTON/ STEVE GAINES of Lynyrd Skynyrd

45 GARY MOORE of Thin Lizzy

46 BILLY GIBBONS of ZZ Top

47 ERIC JOHNSON

48 RICHIE SAMBORA of Bon Jovi

49 KURT COBAIN of Nirvana

50 KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprized but pleased to see Eric Johnson in the list. He's one of the best and I would have rank him higher.

The Doctor

:scratchin:

I would add:

Stephen Hunter (Detroit, Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal)

Jeff Beck

Pat Matheney

Duane Allman (corrected)

Albert King

Dave Edmunds

Rory Gallagher

Martin Barre

Carl Perkins

Les Paul

Ricky Skaggs

Robbie Robertson

Waylon Jennings/Chris Hicks/Billy Jones

Ry Cooder

Gene Clark

Chet Atkins

Chuck Berry

Newcomers Jack White and Johnny Lang

?

10 PHIL KEAGGY of Glass Harp

27 JOE SATRIANI

35 STEVE VAI

40 MICHAEL SCHENKER of Scorpions, UFO, MSG

50 KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD

Gone:

21 TED NUGENT

44 ALLEN COLLINS/ GARY ROSSINGTON/ STEVE GAINES of Lynyrd Skynyrd

45 GARY MOORE of Thin Lizzy

dude! gary moore is a great guitar player, blues rock, his solo on "still got the blues for you" beautiful :) I dont' know what the ? was about, but steve vai is great, he played with frank zappa, and joe satriani taught guitar to some of his contemporaries, but his music is kinda spaced out, anyways, they are both included in the G3 concert with eric johnson.

I put a question mark because I didint know their work. Any guitarist who played with Zappa must be good, and I will have to check out the others... I assume the list is adaptable, and subject to bending, mutation, etc :lol: What about the others I mentioned??? :strumma:

ok, well, phil keaggy, we're talking back in the 60's he was in a group that made 1 album, Glass Harp, self titled, "can you hear me sister?" I think that was the national hit, they were local,I think that was just a loyalty addtition, and kenny wayne shepard I think is a new texas blues guitarist, similiar to tommy castro, walter trout, but I'm not familiar with him either except to hear he can cook on the guitar, will have to get something of his and take a listen. Jeff Beck was on the list, and greg allman I've only see play acoustical to "sweet melissa", and "come and go blues" he strikes me as mostly just a keyboard player that uses the guitar for composing, but what do I know! and you're right about the others, only I don't have alot of their music, I think we remember the ones that make us feel good everytime we hear them play, so it really does make a difference where you live. :)

kenny wayne shepherd is one hellova geetar player... powerful stuff

Gary moore is another one from Ireland (as well as Rory) but I hate his voice.... it kinda spoils his playing... you mustve heard 'Parisian Walkways' Dude...