When does a band stop being a band?

Some are easy to peg, like The Doors. When Jim Morrison died, The Doors ceased to exist. When Maurice Gibb died, the Bee Gees ceased to exist...they became the Brothers Gibb. But when John Lennon died, any hopes for a Beatles reunion died with him...now that George Harrison is also gone the Beatles are absolutely a memory. But I can still see The Who as a functioning unit. As many fans as John Entwhistle, and in particular Keith Moon, had, the essence of the group was Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey. They were the primary influences of the band, so I can see them still being a productive, vital group.

well I would agree, if they would continue to produce new material, but I haven't seen anything from "the who" since the good ole days. I hate to keep mentioning my favorite band, but "the allman brothers band" has continued to evolve and their performance hasn't diminished, 3 of the original members still perform with the group, so I think they still qualify ;)

You've hit it on the head desdemona.... it's all about performance and keeping up the momentum... once that enthusiasm is lost it's the beginning of the end for any band..... although it's unfair to say that because members have died off or wandered off to 'find themselves' that those who are left shouldnt be able to lay claim to the collective name.

In the case of Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, they both have carried on performing... so I dont see why they shouldn't call themselves The Who. There's no split there .... and no conflict of interest.... so why not?

which bands do you think still qualify?

Well, there's something to be said about longevity...commericalism aside. You have to admire people hanging on that long. When the old blues guys do it..it's considered authentic. But when people who have been far more commercially sucessful, it's considered suspect.

If you still like their music, then the other shouldnt matter... I may not like the Stones new music..but I still get a kick out of them playing their better stuff...

.as opposed to Skynyrd, who have clearly gone down a couple of pegs on the tote board.

My cousin, who is a fan of the "original", so to speak, went to see them live a year ago, and he said they flat out sucked.

Edited by Ken

When the first orginal band members are gone I suppose. <_>

and the other hand you'll never know, like Randy Newman's song is saying:

I'M DEAD (BUT I DON'T KNOW IT) from his album Bad Love (1999)

I have nothing to say

But I'm gonna say it anyway

Thirty years upon a stage

And I hear the people say

Why won't he go away?

I pass the houses of the dead

they're calling me to join their group

But I stagger on instead

Dear God, sweet God

Protect me from the truth, hey

I'm dead but I don't know it

He's dead, he's dead

I'm dead but I don't know

He's dead, he's dead

Please don't tell me so

Let me, let me, let me go

I always thought that I would know

When it was time to quit

That when I lost a step or two or three or four or five

I'd notice it

Now that I've arrived here safely

I find my talent has gone

Why do I go on and on and on and on and on

And on and on and on and on and on

He's dead, he's dead, he's dead

I don't know it

He's dead, he's dead, he's dead

I didn't know it

Who would be so cruel to tell me so?

You're dead!

When will I end this bitter game?

When will I end this cruel charade?

Everything I write all sounds the same

Each record that I've made

Just not as good.

He's dead, he's dead

Please don't tell me so

You're dead!

I love the lyrics of Randy Newman :) :good job:

I can't imagine when Paul & Ringo went on touring and called themselves The Beatles.

The Beatles will live forever in our hearts, minds and ears. But the Beatles, being a band, have stopped.

When I am at a concert of Paul, I am at a concert of Paul, not of the Beatles, even he sings: a day in a life, yesterday or get back.

That's different I experienced with Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. Just a feeling.