I Always Tout Newsgroups Wherever I Go

napho

I could never get newsgroups to work. All I ever get is "group downloading check back later" or some version of that.

Now there are things called nzb files that are like hotlinks and let you download directly from the server without even needing to get the headers. Here's a site that's crude but you get the idea.

http://alt.binaries.nl/viewgroup/?group=al....mp3.rap-hiphop

They say that files take an extra day to get onto BT from newsgroups, but I think that waiting those 24hrs it totally worth it for the simplicity of BT.

They say that files take an extra day to get onto BT from newsgroups, but I think that waiting those 24hrs it totally worth it for the simplicity of BT.

Alot more things are posted in newsgroups than on BT. I remember when Neil Young was touring heavily 3 or 4 months ago, his concerts were being posted almost daily in the bootleg group. Also, newsgroups=leeching so no threatening letters from your isp whereas BitTorrent=taking a risk.

There's no need for a tutorial. There's 1 here http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Basically you need your isp to have good group support or there's no use trying.

-Just put the address they use into the reader you choose

-Get a list of all the groups they have

-Choose the ones you want to subscribe to by scrolling or using keywords in the search box

-Get a list of headers from the subscribed groups

-Either scroll the list or use a filter (search) box- all readers have them

-Download the headers to your heart's content, they're the files you want

Now there are sites with nbz files on them. Just small text files that request the movies and songs etc directly from the server so you don't even have to download all the headers. Just like torrents or ed2k or sig2dat. Great for ppl on slow connections or limited monthly bandwidth.

Typical newsreader- subscribed groups are on the left- headers from the bootleg group were updated on the right- there's the search box and I've highlighted a concert- then you just download-you can use the icons on the top or the right click menu or shortcuts-most readers are similar

post-90-1079342836_thumb.jpg