Has wikipedia heard of your city?

Shawn

Saskatoon

Just for giggles have a look at what wikipedia knows about your city.

I was amused to find that somebody included a few people among the "famous Saskatoonians" that might be shocked to find they had any connection to the place.

i.e. Stu Hart

Shaun Micheals

Shannon Tweed

As of yet, no indication when I'll be added to the list.

Post your city's link.

Buffalo, NY, United States

For the "Origin of the name" part, the theory that actually makes more sense is that "Buffalo" came from "Beau Fleuve" (French), which means "Beautiful River" (The Buffalo River or possibly even the Niagara river). It's just a pronunciation quirk that grew over time between English speaking people. I don't see how that's the least likely explanation. The one's mentioned before it are much more implausible.

I guess whoever entered that into Wikipedia had that opinion.

Its buildings were destroyed a year later by the evacuating French after the British captured Fort Niagara.

"Destroyed" as in "set on fire". Buffalo was practically burned to the ground (and of course during the War Of 1812 it happened again; this time by the bastard British).

Buffalo summers also have comparatively short humid spells. Nevertheless, many residents have backyard pools and air conditioners, a fact that surprises some visitors.

That's not suprising really. It certainly gets hot enough in the summer to use pools, and it certainly gets hot enough to use an air conditioner, if one so desires. It isn't Alaska damn it. We average 70-80 degrees F during the summer months. Last year was probably the hottest on record. We had a lot of 90+ degree (F) days

The best known snow storm in Buffalo history was the Blizzard of '77. Severe storms also occurred on November 20, 2000 and at Christmas, 2001. The city is a competitor for Upstate New York's annual Golden Snowball Award, but for several years has lost out to Rochester or Syracuse, which have recently received more snow than Buffalo.

The only reason there's been such a fuss over blizzards in this city is the fact that the couple of times we really got hit by the lake effect machine, it basically shut the city down for days (in the case of the '77 one, it took 2 weeks to get everything back to normal with National Guard assistance). It was just the fact that a sizable American city was SHUT DOWN for days (weeks). Of course, the New Orleans thing (as well as hurricanes, tornados, etc in general) dwarfs those little snow storms millions of times over, and the death toll, damage and carnage make it a no comparison issue.

In retrospect, while the blizzards were a meteorological wonder, they didn't really do any damage.

The windshield wiper was invented in Buffalo

So now you know....

Many manufacturers have avoided expanding or building facilities in the Buffalo-Niagara region because of the unusually high tax burden and pervasiveness of organized labor.

It's a bit amplified in Buffalo specifically, but it's a product of NY State being one of the highest tax burden states in the U.S. (2nd overall). Also, our political machine is inept (and corrupt as well).

New York City sucks up all the tax dollars and the rest of the state is only thrown a few bones every once and a while (Buffalo is woefully under funded by NYS). There are ridiculous things like toll barriers around the city on its "Thruway" (the I-90 interstate feeds into and out of it). The money raised from this was originally supposed to fund its building and renovation and then was supposed to be REMOVED, but they were kept up even after it was all paid for. Currently the money goes into the state's general fund and almost all of it goes towards funding NYC. It was 50 cents for the longest time, but was raised to 75 recently (since the Thruway Authority and the governor feel they have absolute power, which they do). There are also ridiculous fees for hunting and fishing licenses that are supposed to fund DEC projects, however, many reliable sources and insiders have admitted that most of the money ends up in the, you guessed it, general fund.

No surprise the governor is a dirty Republican asshole. He's even more dangerous than a conservative ideological based one because he can be bought and sold by anyone. He's not a hard liner on anything except making sure NYC gets its money and the Seneca Nation (Native Tribe) gets theirs.

So in conclusion, unless you're looking to live the NYC life, stay out of the rest of New York State. It's a depressed and frustrated area with a high tax burden. Places like Buffalo are geographically beautiful and magnificent compared to the rest of the U.S. and have so much potential, but the political climate is maddening and access to the beautiful areas is restricted and underdeveloped (especially on Lake Erie).

I recommend visiting, and I recommend the Finger Lakes and the Adirondack regions.

Don't visit Buffalo unless you plan to commit suicide by jumping into the Niagara River (there are some great bridges for that purpose and people do it a lot).

For killing yourself, I recommend the Rainbow Bridge (it's actually north of Buffalo at Niagara Falls, but you can stay in Buffalo until you do and since the place is so depressing, it'll keep you focused on the task at hand). You can walk across this bridge and when you get to the middle, you have a perfect view of Niagara Falls before you die. If you chicken out, you can head to Canada and check out the famous Clifton Hill region. Other bridge options include the Whirlpool bridge (don't be fooled by the name, there are more whirl pools by the Rainbow and besides, this is a train bridge and death by train is messy) and the Peace Bridge (located in the city of Buffalo). With the Peace Bridge, you get calmer water and a nice view of Lake Erie feeding into the Niagara River. I recommend wearing an inflatable floatation device in the shape of a duck (it'll give the rescue divers a laugh).

post-113-1145338429_thumb.jpg

post-113-1145338522.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield

Not the place I'd wish to claim, but where I've been for 2 years now. Before that I was:

9 years in San Fernando

8 years in Saugus (Santa Clarita)

3 years in Colorado Springs

4 years in Germany

7 years in Simi Valley

(years rounded off for sanity)

HAHA - I loved reading all of those!

It only says this about my hometown of Wootton Bassett - it sounds too funny to be true!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootton_Bassett

The right was first gained to send two representatives to Parliament as early as 1446 and prior to the Reform Act of 1832 Wootton Bassett was known as a 'Rotten' or 'Pocket' Borough, due to the way in which elections were conducted there, which were the antithesis of modern democratic elections. Voters were required to state their preferences in public before representatives of each side, and were openly bribed. In 1754 the accounts of a successful candidate show that his supporters were paid £30 each for their vote, and in the run up to the election the candidates secured the allegiance of public houses in the town, where voters were plied with free refreshments. Free beer was also provided by men who carried containers about the town. The same accounts show that £1,077 was paid out to 12 'pubs' for the refreshments. (these were truly 'the good old days' !)

Or my nearby town, Swindon (very boring, not worth clicking!). Life is so dull that you don't need Ken's bridge guide for suicide as you don't even notice you are alive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon

Or of course Dublin where I am now, or more to the point, Swords.

Wootton Bassett was known as a 'Rotten' or 'Pocket' Borough, due to the way in which elections were conducted there, which were the antithesis of modern democratic elections

You had Republicans in England way back then?

Or my nearby town, Swindon (very boring, not worth clicking!). Life is so dull that you don't need Ken's bridge guide for suicide as you don't even notice you are alive!

joke of the day

In 1754 the accounts of a successful candidate show that his supporters were paid £30 each for their vote, and in the run up to the election the candidates secured the allegiance of public houses in the town, where voters were plied with free refreshments.

30 pounds would have been quite a payday.

More on my city:

The Kern County, California, Sheriff's Department orders plain white patrol

>units and has the graphics applied locally. In this case, what they

>ordered was not quite what they got.

>

>This car was driven for 1 week before an officer noticed what the graphics

>company employee did on the passenger side of the car. The employee did

>this on his last day working for the graphics company before he retired.

post-116-1145588441_thumb.jpg