Malicious Intent

Amber

I didn't get that far with 1984. I found it a bit tedious and no where near the hype when relating it to modern day britain.

I love the party slogan though - it is easily relatable:

WAR IS PEACE - We are shagging for virginity in Iraq.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - Blair is alwys saying that freedom is to not be killed by terrorist, and the only way to achieve that is to hand control over to the government, police and security services.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH - "We can't tell you for national security reasons."

Well, damn. Local paper website is down.

Anyway, Sunday paper had an interesting article. A guy got busted here recently, and he had grafted fingerprints. He had his biological prints on one hand, and a transplant from somebody else on the other. I guess the recorded cases of grafted fingerprints in the US are so rare, that they don't even have statistics for them.

Next we're on to eyeballs... they always run.

Next we're on to eyeballs... they always run.

:sick:

They want to increase surveillance further by updated speed cameras (already ruled unconstitutional in the US) to monitor for small road traffic infractions, such as not wearing a seatbelt or using a mobile phone.

But not to worry - even greater surveillance of the population will bring out ACLU equivilent, Liberty, in force:

A spokeswoman for Liberty said increasing the use of cameras to catch drivers breaking the law would not be a curb on their civil liberties.

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1725360,00.html)

Well nearly. I'm just going over here to bend over a barrel....

House of Commons has voted in support of the bill again. It has been bounced back to the House of Lords again. I dont get where Labour's support for this is coming from. Everyone seems to be against it, but then all the MPs vote for it! My MP has voted consistently against the cards.

Also the government has just decided that chip and pin is secure enough for 50 items of unreplaceable personal data. That's right - it is as safe as a credit card - even if the government is holding it up as the answer to credit card fraud.

Oh the joy!

From silicon.com:

"During the debate on Thursday Home Secretary Charles Clarke accused peers of "breaking the conventions of parliament" and ignoring "the will of the people".

He said: "It's a deliberate effort by the opposition parties to sabotage the ID card bill."

But Conservative shadow home secretary, David Davis, said the government's election manifesto - promising an initially voluntary ID card rollout - was "intended to mislead".

He said: "It is ridiculous to assert that the passport is voluntary. Under this bill ID cards are not voluntary, they are clearly compulsory."

Davis also said the NIR database is the fundamental flaw in the government's ID cards plans. "It's the database behind it that's the problem. You do not need to have the NIR," he said.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, Nick Clegg, called the ID card scheme "uncosted, untested and unjustified".

Critics also rounded on the government today after the Home Office revealed that bank card-style PIN numbers - and not biometrics - would be used to verify the ID cardholder's identity in some cases.

Phil Booth, national co-ordinator of the No2ID campaign, said the Home Office's 'gold standard' of identity has now been reduced to little more than a bog standard chip and PIN card.

He said in a statement: "After all its overblown claims about the infallibility of biometrics and how highly secure its ID system will be, it turns out our identities are to be protected by nothing more than a four digit PIN. The Home Office may as well give away all our personal data to organised criminals and fraudsters, who will always target the weakest point in a system."

• 2 weeks later...

It's all over :(

I don't know what to do or what way to turn now. Not even China is willing to do this shit.

Turn my back on my country or stay and fight a lost cause?

I can avoid the card for as long as I dont need/want to leave Europe - for now.

But this isn't just about me. This is about the world being down on another free country. By law, we have to give the government more personal details to the state than a prisoner.

I knew it was going to happen, but it feels no less devastating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Reports are coming through that the project is facing technological problems.

Not exactly a long term solution, but the longer it is stalled, the more chance of beating it.

There has also been some news that the government has to release its accounts on the cost of the scheme (yes, MPs voted for an ID Card scheme which will cost billions without even knoing how much! "If we tell you that, all the businesses will bid at the high end of the budget - ignorance is stregth").

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/09/st..._doomed_emails/

Of greatest concern is the government's expanding authoritarian streak. "I think politicians are haunted by the thought of any terrorist situation and how it could be their fault," says Tennant. "Therefore they try to control more. We're reintroducing warlike measures when we're not part of a war. It's alien to me. I don't like people stopping me and asking me things."

Surveillance culture, Tennant suspects, is now unstoppable. He wonders if he and Lowe are old-fashioned with their high regard for privacy and their scepticism towards the gleaming, digital future. "So much technology becomes about technology," he complains.

Source: UK Guardian

• 4 weeks later...

ID plans: powers set to widen

Gordon Brown is considering exploiting the commercial potential of the proposed ID scheme in order to fund a massive expansion of the programme, it was reported last night.

The Chancellor, far from being sceptical about the proposed identity card and database, is exploring a range of private-sector applications. He is said to be convinced that biometric ID schemes will be introduced by the private sector, regardless of government decisions.

Standardising the official ID card and any commercial schemes would drive down the cost and enable greater data sharing between police and firms. For example, police could be alerted as soon as a wanted person used a biometric-enabled cash card or even entered a building via an iris-scan door.

Mr Brown has set up a taskforce on identity management under the chairmanship of Sir James Crosby, head of the banking giant HBOS. It complements a broader review of public service use of identity information by Sir David Varney.

The Observer quotes a source close to Mr Brown as saying: "There is going to be a key issue over the next 10 to 15 years about identity management right across the public and private sectors."

Gordon Brown is considering exploiting the commercial potential of the proposed ID scheme in order to fund a massive expansion of the programme, it was reported last night.

The Chancellor, far from being sceptical about the proposed identity card and database, is exploring a range of private-sector applications. He is said to be convinced that biometric ID schemes will be introduced by the private sector, regardless of government decisions.

Standardising the official ID card and any commercial schemes would drive down the cost and enable greater data sharing between police and firms. For example, police could be alerted as soon as a wanted person used a biometric-enabled cash card or even entered a building via an iris-scan door.

Mr Brown has set up a taskforce on identity management under the chairmanship of Sir James Crosby, head of the banking giant HBOS. It complements a broader review of public service use of identity information by Sir David Varney.

The Observer quotes a source close to Mr Brown as saying: "There is going to be a key issue over the next 10 to 15 years about identity management right across the public and private sectors."