Malicious Intent

Amber

Things are pretty rough in the UK Amber.

Just looking at some of the threads around here highlights that. People are talking about the NSA wiretapping people without a permit. Blair wants to be able to wiretap other MPs!

There is a thread discussing if making it a felony to knock down security fences at national events is crossing the line. Here, we arent even allowed to assemble peacefully at what is suppose to be the heart of democracy - the Houses of Parliament.

One man was arrested under anti terror laws for heckling the Foreign Secretary. He shouted out "Liar!" during a speach about iraq.

And so it goes on. This is a real sign which is being put up around London:

watchful-eyes.jpg

Remind you of anything?

This headline just today:

Big brother -style surveillance growing on Britain’s roads Which is about the government using CCTV number place recognition to track every single car on Britain's roads and save it for up to 5 years. We have more CCTV cameras than the rest of Europe put together.

They information they are collecting is scary. It has gone way too far.

That is why I want to be out protesting. And to the government, no news like this would not stop me.

• 2 weeks later...

We lost :(

It goes back to the House of Lords again now, who rejected the bill last time.

You know you are in trouble when what is left of freedom relies on people who have power thanks to their heritage.

I expect the Lords will bounce it back to the Commons again. Without boring you with the details of our parliament, it is all touch and go, but I think it will go through now - Blair will push it past the Lords if he has to.

ID Cards will be 100% voluntary - so long as you dont want a new passport. ID Cards will come with a passport from 2008. I figure that I will get one just before that, taking me to the end of 2017. If I haven't been cut off frompublic services already, I will have a full plan by then!

I am really, really worried about my country. ID Cards is just one part of the authoritarian country England has become. On one hand I think, fuck it, I'm European now, I'll just stay in Ireland. But then I remember that we scraped ID Cards after WW2 as it was the exact thing we stood against. Running away isn't the best I can do for them.

I just refuse to ever become answerable to my government.

Tightly cross your fingers that the technology will fail. The government has a dreadful track record of implementing IT systems. 2 out of 2 large projects have failed - both pale insignificant compared to the ID Register.

• 3 weeks later...

This is too much for me to handle. The Lords have rejected it again - pointing out that the government pledged at the election to make it volutary, when it clearly isnt.

Well, you dont /have/ to get one, you just cant leave the EU. hmmm.

Anyway, it has been thrown back to the Commons now. Blair does have the option to use the Parliament Act to force the bill through the Lords - and he is known for using it - more times than the last 4 PMs put together.

It is totally in the blanace - I can't take the uncertainty! Even if I do know this government has a record of getting what it wants.

From NO2ID.net

Home Office projections show that they already intend to 'designate' the police (CRB) check for employment, driving licences and possibly even student loan forms in the first few years of the scheme. This would deny ordinary law-abiding people and their families their right to travel abroad, drive a car, work or volunteer, even to study and gain qualifications unless they submit to compulsory Registration during what New Labour promised at the election would be an initially voluntary phase.

My mother goes to California once every couple of years. The airlines expect her to have either a driver's license or a state issued photo i.d. And since she never learned to drive, she has the state i.d. So, it seems to me that the same shit has already started in America.

:reallymad:

Does it contain over 50 pieces of personal information Rainbow? There are no legal provisions to stop that from expanding either - it is up to the Home Secretary what is put on in future.

The current 50 includes iris scans and facial recognition details. The government is pouring money into research to remotely recognise faces. It wouldn't take much to hook that up to their network of CCTV cameras already watching the roads, as I posted about above.

The Pied Piper of Fear, George W. Bush, has worked his black magic on the USA and Great Britain, has literally destroyed Iraq, and is working his way toward Iran.

The beat goes on....

that photo reminds me of Musolini

Aye. What are the other 49 identifiers though?

I meant someone holding your card would have immense info about you.

1. Name

2. Other previous names or aliases;

3. Date and place of birth and, if the person has died, the date of death;

4. Address

5. Previous addresses in the United Kingdom and elsewhere;

6. Times of residency at different places in the United Kingdom or elsewhere;

7. Current residential status;

8. Residential statuses previously held;

9. Information about numbers allocated to the applicant for identification purposes and about the documents to which they relate;

10. Information about occasions on which recorded information in the Register has been provided to any person;

11. Information recorded in the Register on request.

12. Photograph

13. Fingerprints

14. “Other” biometrics (iris recognition);

15. Signature

16. Nationality;

17. Entitlement to remain in the United Kingdom; and

18. Where entitlement derives from a grant of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, the terms and conditions of that leave.

19. National Identity Registration Number;

20. The number of any ID card that has been issued;

21. National Insurance number;

22. The number of any relevant immigration document;

23. The number of any United Kingdom passport (within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 (c. 77)) that has been issued;

24. The number of any passport issued by or on behalf of the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom or by or on behalf of an international organisation;

25. The number of any document that can be used (in some or all circumstances) instead of a passport;

26. The number of any identity card issued by the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom;

27. Any reference number allocated by the Secretary of State in connection with an application made for permission to enter or to remain in the United Kingdom;

28. The number of any work permit (within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971);

29. Any driver number connected to a driving licence;

30. The number of any designated document which is held by the applicant that is a document the number of which does not fall within any of the preceding sub-paragraphs;

31. The date of expiry or period of validity of a document the number of which is recorded by virtue of this paragraph.

32. The date of every application for registration;

33. The date of every application for a modification of the contents of his entry;

34. The date of every application confirming the contents of his entry (with or without changes);

35. The reason for any omission from the information recorded in his entry;

36. Particulars (in addition to its number) of every ID card issued;

37. Whether each such card is in force and, if not, why not;

38. Particulars of every person who has countersigned an application for an ID card or a designated document;

39. Particulars of every notification given by the applicant for the purposes of regulations under section 13(1) (lost, stolen and damaged ID cards etc.);

40. Particulars of every requirement by the Secretary of State for the individual to surrender an ID card issued to the applicant.

41. The information provided in connection with every application to be entered in the Register, for a modification of the contents of entry in the Register or for the issue of an ID card;

42. Information provided in connection with every application confirming entry in the Register (with or without change;

43. Particulars of the steps taken, in connection with an application mentioned in paragraph (a) or (B) or otherwise, for identifying the applicant or for verifying the information provided in connection with the application;

44. Particulars of any other steps taken or information obtained (otherwise than in connection with an application mentioned in paragraph (a) or (B)) for ensuring that there is a complete, up-to-date and accurate entry about that individual in the Register;

45. Particulars of every notification given by that individual for the purposes of section 12.

46. A personal identification number to be used for facilitating the making of applications for information recorded in his entry, and for facilitating the provision of the information;

47. A password or other code to be used for that purpose or particulars of a method of generating such a password or code;

48. Questions and answers to be used for identifying a person seeking to make such an application or to apply for or to make a modification of that entry.

49. Particulars of every occasion on which information contained in the individual’s entry has been provided to a person;

50. Particulars of every person to whom such information has been provided on such an occasion;

51. Other particulars, in relation to each such occasion, of the provision of the information.

Although to be clear - most of the data will be held on a central database (aka: hacker honeypot), rather than on the card. The card will prove who you are in the database. The Home Secretary will be ble to change what details are held where at will - the law provides no protection on that either.

The government loves to confuse the issue of the card and the database - which I have been here too. Strictly speaking it is the National Identity Database which is to be feared.

Although the Home Secretary can revoke any card at any time, effectively giving him complete control over who is British and who doesn't have a nationality - so the card is barely harmless. That and give it a few years and it will be compulsary to carry it (the government says it wont be, but refuse to write that protection into the law as well).