From the Blogs-an opinion of Mozilla Firefox......

KiwiCoromandel

Firefox sucks.

Firefox is the lamest browser currently doing the rounds. People think it's "cool" and "1337" to use firefox at the moment because it's open source, free and not microsoft.

But pay attention suckers, and I'll bust some of the myths currently disseminated by the average firefox user.

Firefox user says: "LOL... these extensions rilly r0xxor d00d!!11"

I say: Sure, extensions might be a reasonable way to extend browser functionality. But think about it. More and more extensions are being farmed out to third party sites, so every time you download an extension which isn't on the mozilla web site you run the risk of some dickwad slipping a trojan onto your system...then where is your famous firefox security ?

Plus most of the firefox extensions are either useless or choc full of bugs. Adblock is ok, but apart from that I can’t think of a single worthwhile extension.

Also consider this: a plain firefox download weighs in at 4.7mb. A download of opera which is equivalent to firefox plus a crapload of extensions, plus an email client, plus a newsreader, plus an IRC client takes up 3.2mb. Can you say bloatware? There I knew you could.

Firefox user says: “OMG… firefox is teh secure d00d!!!!1111”

I say: Oh yeah? Says who? Not leading security experts who report that firefox had “60 percent more vulnerabilities in the last half of 2004 than Microsoft's Internet Explorer.”

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/159905537

Also if firefox is such a bastion of security, how come they released 1.0.1 which fixed no less than 17 security vulnerabilities, then a couple of weeks later 1.0.2 which patched according to their own site, 3 “critical” vulnerabilities? All of a sudden IE looks much less insecure.

Firefox user says: “WTF!!!11….tabbed browsing r0x0rz j00r s0x0rz ph00!!!!!!111111”

I say: Tabbed browsing is a neat concept, but firefox was hardly the first browser to implement it; opera were there years ago, and their implementation is still better. You can also get tabbed browsing for internet explorer by installing a simple browser shell like maxthon or avant. As well as adding tabbed browsing these browser shells also add a shitload of functionality which frankly makes firefox look Spartan in comparison.

Firefox user says: “OMG!!11….teh firefox speed pwnzerz ur a$$”

I say: Firefox is slow. In fact firefox is the slowest browser on windows. Opera is the fastest, followed by internet explorer. Firefox is even slower than the original mozilla browser.http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#winspeed

Also bear in mind: Firefox uses the gecko rendering engine which is notoriously poor. The firefox developers aren't alchemists. Just as you can't turn shit into gold, likewise you can't turn a rubbish browser into something good just by adding a few extensions.

Just my humble opinion....

source:posted by fishface:http://ggthaddock.blogspot.com/

I say: Sure, extensions might be a reasonable way to extend browser functionality. But think about it. More and more extensions are being farmed out to third party sites, so every time you download an extension which isn't on the mozilla web site you run the risk of some dickwad slipping a trojan onto your system...then where is your famous firefox security ?

Plus most of the firefox extensions are either useless or choc full of bugs. Adblock is ok, but apart from that I can’t think of a single worthwhile extension.

Wow, what a mental midget.

I don't know many people who go to unscrupulous web sites to download FireFox extensions (nor do I care about them).

The chances of someone doing that are the same as someone downloading an executable and getting infected. He pulled that one out of his ass, just to be an ass.

Also, if AdBlock is the only extension he deems worthy, than he hasn't tried a lot of them. Either that or he's an idiot who can't be pleased.

Really, he just doesn't make any sense.

Also if firefox is such a bastion of security, how come they released 1.0.1 which fixed no less than 17 security vulnerabilities, then a couple of weeks later 1.0.2 which patched according to their own site, 3 “critical” vulnerabilities? All of a sudden IE looks much less insecure.

Good point and I agree with him. However, before he mentions IE, he should consider the fact that Microsoft has, in the past, taken weeks and months to release fixes for their vulnerabilities. Also, it's been MS policy to sweep problems under the rug if they find them.

IE is closed source and is the product of proven morons who've released insecure software numerous times in the past. You don't hear about every Microsoft problem.

Who do I trust for security? Certainly not MS over Mozilla.

At least with Mozilla, bugs are found, AND CORRECTED within days. This is thanks to a large fan base and the open nature of the software.

I say: Tabbed browsing is a neat concept, but firefox was hardly the first browser to implement it; opera were there years ago, and their implementation is still better. You can also get tabbed browsing for internet explorer by installing a simple browser shell like maxthon or avant.

Ok, he's an Opera fanboy. That doesn't bother me (and nobody said that FireFox was the first to offer tabbed browsing).

However, why would someone.....

A. Use an insecure browser (IE IS INSECURE)

B. Get separate shell for that browser.

MS should have had tabbed browsing a long time ago.

I say: Firefox is slow.

Maybe on his PII 233 MHz machine with 32 MB of RAM.

FireFox is pretty fast for me.

It all depends on a user's system.......and their ability to keep it running smooth. He's obviously a moron.

Also bear in mind: Firefox uses the gecko rendering engine which is notoriously poor. The firefox developers aren't alchemists. Just as you can't turn shit into gold, likewise you can't turn a rubbish browser into something good just by adding a few extensions.

They're called standards asshole. Sometimes breaking with standards will introduce technologies that are a security threat, or that are proprietary.

ActiveX anyone?

There's nothing wrong with the rendering engine. Besides, he says "poor". Poor? Poor at what? Maybe he should elaborate instead making an empty accusation.

Besides, if you really have a problem with a particular page, a nice little EXTENSION will let you view the page in Internet Explorer (which is, admittedly, the most compatible browser out there), if you're willing to take the risk.

There are some things I don't like about FireFox (crappy bookmark GUI, lack of a good internal ad blocker), but it also let's me disable Java and javascript easily, and the settings are well organized.

They also stick to a bookmark import/export standard that lets me transfer it to other browsers easily.

I can export my bookmarks to IE or Opera. I can import them from IE.

However, I'll be damned if Opera will play nice.

I can't import Opera bookmarks into IE or FireFox (without a handy-dandy homemade script that someone was nice enough to give to me).

I also don't like Opera's GUI.

Oh, and one more thing, Opera is NOT FREE.

Oh sure, there is a free version, WITH AN AD BANNER, but let's face it, if Opera was a P2P program, there would be people releasing "Clean Opera" or "Opera Lite" (maybe there are?).

I don't have anything against Opera as a product, I just like FireFox better.

Should have known it was grab_grab_the_haddock.

My comments still stand though.

If you're reading grab, just replace all mean-spirited "idiot" and "moron" with light-hearted "idiot" and "moron".

Same thing, only this way I don't have to edit, and less typing is more time to go get something to drink.

I'd use firefox just for the ad-block!

Back when I used IE, I used to use Ad Sheild.

However, now they've gone commercial, AND it's now a separate program, instead of an integrated, small component.

It's so clunky, it's not even worth pirating!

Adblock is ok, but apart from that I can’t think of a single worthwhile extension.

downTHEMall is a killer extension. With a couple clicks I can download complete photo galleries to individual folders.

Should have known it was grab_grab_the_haddock.

My comments still stand though.

If you're reading grab, just replace all mean-spirited "idiot" and "moron" with light-hearted "idiot" and "moron".

Same thing, only this way I don't have to edit, and less typing is more time to go get something to drink.

i`m sure he`ll be appreciative for the extra coverage he got for his blog site.... :lol:

i have still found firefox to be lacking especially in the security/privacy area......i have been using alternative browsers for years..at least since opera 6 and the first mozilla firebird browsers appeared...i find firefox " lagging " or slowing down quite often.... and i have 1.7 GB of RAM on board and an athlon 64 3000+ processor and firefox at times still seems slow.......sometimes it (firefox ) just hangs when trying to load a site...and posting any sort of image has always seemed to be a hassle.....it`s not my ISP or my network controller or any sort of hardware problem..i`m sitting here using the latest Avant Browser IE frontend at the moment and loading, rendering, network speed and site speed is very fast....certainly faster than i`ve been getting from firefox...plus nice tab system..excellent popup blocker, no activex hassles, flash blocker etc.......

well, i'm on a mac, so... :lol: (i'll look for another browser when i see the need...so far, so good) :)

My only complaint about Firefox is that videos have been crashing it lately about 30% of the time.

I had a similar problem at one time... My problem was that I was using a codec pack (K-Lite, to be exact). I googled the problem and error code and tracked it to a part of a Matroska filter. I would suggest that you uninstall your codec pack (if you have one) and just dl what you need.

I am now just using FFDShow and some basic Matroska filters and everything opens and works fine.

I had a similar problem at one time... My problem was that I was using a codec pack (K-Lite, to be exact). I googled the problem and error code and tracked it to a part of a Matroska filter. I would suggest that you uninstall your codec pack (if you have one) and just dl what you need.

I am now just using FFDShow and some basic Matroska filters and everything opens and works fine.

that could well be right too..i was using the k-lite mega codec pack and getting very bad audio crashes when playing dvds...i got rid of k-lite and replaced it with the much more basic xp 1.2.1 codec pack..works like a dream now...no video or audio crashes.... :)