Pro-Syrian Beirut Demonstration 1.6 Million Strong

KiwiCoromandel

Pro-Syrian Beirut Demonstration 1.6 Million Strong

Wednesday, 9 March 2005, 9:03 am

Article: Scoop Link

Hizbullah leads massive pro-Syrian demonstration in Beirut

Scoop Link: Albawaba Abran news agency reports that more than 1.6 million people from across Lebanon converged on the Lebanese capital of Beirut Tuesday in solidarity with Syria, answering a nationwide call by Hizbullah movement for a demonstration to counter weeks of massive rallies demanding Syrian forces leave Lebanon.

Loudspeakers blared songs of resistance and organizers handed out Lebanese flags and directed the men and women to separate sections of the square. Demonstrators held up pictures of Syrian President Bashar Assad and signs saying, "Syria & Lebanon brothers forever." "Beirut is free, America out," shouted demonstrators.......

Read more......

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0503/S00136.htm

Edited by kiwibank

"Beirut is free, America out," shouted demonstrators.......

i thought they loved us all over.

I guess they were wrong. Again.

Define "wrong".

Obviously there is a schism in opinion in Lebanon, not an absolute sentiment. Your complete single-minded statement is based on other factors such as a dislike of American foreign policy. That is IRRELEVANT to this situation. You are as bias as a FOx News reporter............well, ok, maybe not that bad. You're getting there though. Keep it up. You're not "right", you're just on a different side of a flawed and useless spectrum.

By the way; who did the "census" to find out how many people were involved in the protest/rally? Where does the number "1.6 million" strong come from and who is the source? Is this inferential or descriptive (a complete count)? If it's inferential, what type of sample did they use?

The only "source" I see is the "Albawaba Abran news agency" (excellent error correction by the way).

I'm not stating my opinon on the issue, I'm just trying to show that creating a complete and absolute opinion based on one news article from one news agency is a bad idea if you want anything close to the truth.

However, if you want to continue to live in candyland, be my guest.

Define "wrong".

Obviously there is a schism in opinion in Lebanon, not an absolute sentiment. Your complete single-minded statement is based on other factors such as a dislike of American foreign policy. That is IRRELEVANT to this situation. You are as bias as a FOx News reporter............well, ok, maybe not that bad. You're getting there though. Keep it up. You're not "right", you're just on a different side of a flawed and useless spectrum.

By the way; who did the "census" to find out how many people were involved in the protest/rally? Where does the number "1.6 million" strong come from and who is the source? Is this inferential or descriptive (a complete count)? If it's inferential, what type of sample did they use?

The only "source" I see is the "Albawaba Abran news agency" (excellent error correction by the way).

I'm not stating my opinon on the issue, I'm just trying to show that creating a complete and absolute opinion based on one news article from one news agency is a bad idea if you want anything close to the truth.

However, if you want to continue to live in candyland, be my guest.

Obviously you don't know nothing about the situation there Ken yet you pretend you do.

Let me fill the blanks in your head and then let's start a civilised conversation.

Years ago there was a civil war between the christians and muslims in Lebanon. After years of fighting, the war ended and they decided Syria should send peacekeeping troops. Nothing else. They were keeping order by just being there without asking for anything. They were just keeping the order like the UN troops do in Cyprus. Years went by and no problems at all.

This year, the former president was killed and trouble started so the easy target was Syria. Bush and Chirac decided they should go. Syria said ok and last week they began pulling the troops BUT lebanese people don't want that. And it's not a small percentage like you think. It was indeed more than a million people in Beirut and many many many sources confirm that. Keep in mind that Lebanon has 3.5 million people.

The above paragraph is absolutely the truth cause Greece has many lebanese immigrants and no matter what they are, christian or muslim or whatever, they all say the same things.

Now proceed with you answer and please make it a good one and not some "you say that because you hate america" shit because I could say the same thing to you like " you hate everything non-american"

Thanx for bringing me uptodate, Method. Lebanon used to be a peaceful country - its a shame that religion causes all these problems...

Thanx for bringing me uptodate, Method.  Lebanon used to be a peaceful country - its a shame that religion causes all these problems...

everything was ok for years until someone killed the former leader

off-topic

Lebanese Blonde from the thievery corp was my favorite tune

off-topic

Lebanese Blonde from the thievery corp was my favorite tune

I used to enjoy Lebanese hash :lol:

and i wonder who that was..... <_>

haven`t smoked hash for years..used to o.d on lebanese blonde in the late 60`s early `70`s.......it used to come in sealed packages with a little logo on it.....it`s strictly kiwimade indoors now...scuse me..just have to trim something..some one please help me..it`s growing too fast......

post-86-1110402093.jpg

The middle-east has been a troubled place for manymanymany centuries and no one can really tell you who is right and who is wrong.

The facts I wrote above are very simple. Syria (and Israel) played a major role in the civil war but the bottom line is that Syria was asked after the end of the war in 89 by the Arab league that they stay there with a small number of soldiers just in case

I used to enjoy Lebanese hash  :lol:

:) i will as soon as i wake up so i can feel it better.

when i was 19 i ate a huge chunk of it on the way to the police station (couldn't bear to throw it away)...4 hours later i noticed it was snowing inside the cell, the start of an excellent trip despite my surroundings.