13 Dead, Hundreds Injured in Kite-Flying Gala

DudeAsInCool

Kite-flying event claims 13 lives

From correspondents in Lahore

February 07, 2005

THIRTEEN people have been killed and more than 500 injured during an annual kite-flying festival in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore.

Seven people with severe head injuries died in the city's General Hospital alone, and about 220 people were admitted with a variety of injuries including broken bones, hospital officials said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...37^1702,00.html

I'm sorry about the people that died but I mean... are those people nuts?

Two teenagers were killed when they fell from a roof, and two more were killed when a car hit them while they were trying to catch a stray kite, police said.

A man was killed by a stray bullet, while another was electrocuted when metal wire used to fly a kite became draped over live electric lines.

:wacko:

Method, I started to say something along the lines you're thinking but I felt it would be in poor taste to make fun of all those people. Sleep well tonight knowing that you are thinking along the same lines I was thinking. To make matters worse, I refrained from questioning their intellect but you stepped right off into redneck territory and did exactly that. You did it politely but still....you did it! I will pm you a redneck application later. Be sure to fill in both blanks. If you can't spell your name it is ok to skip that one.

The flying the kite with a wire was the stupidest thing I have ever heard of and as old as I am, that covers a lot of territory.

I always wanted that redneck hair. Perhaps it's now the time

It's not hard to get as long as you never wash it. It is okay to get caught in the rain just don't ever use shampoo. The get the redneck hair look at a faster rate be sure to change the oil in your car without using a drain pan or jacking the car up off the ground. Just slide right under that baby and unscrew the drain plug, slide out, run you hand through your hair 2x and you are good to go. :)

The flying the kite with a wire was the stupidest thing I have ever heard of and as old as I am, that covers a lot of territory.

wire is more efficient for cutting other peoples kite strings .... which is the whole point... to bring all the other kites down :bigsmile:

people are stupid the world over !!

I understand the point of using wire but in a area with power lines it is a dumb idea. If the event was in a rural area without electricity it would be different. Then again, there may have been only one power line for miles and he found it. :lol:

You occasionally read where someone looks down the barrel of a gun and pulls the trigger to make sure it isn't loaded. Makes you wonder what the hell they are thinking. I have done some way dumb things. In fact I have done some in the last 5 minutes but even I have my limits. I only have 3 functioning brain cells and it takes 2 to breathe. The 3rd one is a busy little booger and since it has aged it is having a difficult time keeping up. :)

How else would Edison have discovered electricity?

I thought Ben Franklin had something to do with the kite discovery???

In any event, next time I tell someone I'm angry with to 'go fly a kite', I know exactly where to send them :lol:

as far as I know, the kite is an ancient thing which was mostly used by the chinese. Franklin used the kite but tied a key at the end. As far as I'm concerned, he was asking for it.

I never really read the actual story about Franklin. Doesn't a thunder crisp a human when hit? How did he survive? Was it him holding it or some poor "helper" that never got the credit for it? (like it usually happens)

*runs over to wikipedia* :read this:

wikidudes:

"the evidence shows that Franklin was insulated (not in a conducting path, as he would have been electrocuted); unfortunately, others, such as Prof. Georg Richmann of St. Petersburg, Russia, were spectacularly electrocuted during the months following Franklin's famous experiment. Franklin, in his writings, displays that he was aware of the dangers and alternative ways to demonstrate that lightning was electrical, as shown by his invention of the lightning rod, an application of the use of electrical ground. If Franklin did perform this experiment, he did not do it in the way that is often described (as it would have been dramatic but fatal). Instead he used the kite to collect some electric charge from a storm cloud, which implied that lightning was electrical."

I love the net :)