Hot 97 in NY's Tsunami Song

Shawn

I don't know if anyone has seen or heard of this, but a radio morning show in New York broadcast an extremely tasteless song a week ago.

"There was a time, when the sun was shining bright

So I went down to the beach to catch me a tan.

Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high

Came and washed your whole country away.

And all at once, you can hear the screaming chinks.

And no one was saved from the wave.

There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away.

You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you bitches swim.'

[Chorus]

"So now you're screwed. It's the tsunami,

You better run and kiss your ass away. Go find your mommy.

I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head.

And now your children will be sold. Child slavery."

Needless to say, something like this didn't go over too well. You can catch the storyline of what has happened since here.

On second thought.................that isn't really funny in that it's very weak shock comedy. They really didn't need to use racial slurs for it to be funny; I thought that detracted from it.

It didn't even rhyme!

I feel as though I insulted South Park by making the comparison.

Edited by Ken

It seems that they have done this before yet they are still there. I'm all against cancelling shows but this is too much.

I guess the FCC is busy preventing shows playing John Lennon and christians are busy calling Spunge Bob gay.

Hypocrit bastards

what method said (i never listened to hot 97 but i remember looking at the subway ads and thinking 'this is a station for morons')

bloody dreadful...and the sick thing is that those that wrote the lyrics to that song probably mean it..total racism and complete ignorance of other countries, races and their cultures..sounds familiar doesn`t it???? :mad::mad:

i rarely find things offensive but i gotta say that was really messed up.making fun of 200,000 dead will never be funny in any form.these people who made the song need some mental help.i still can't believe they actually thought this was ok,that song was really sick.

There's a difficult line between being humorous and being offensive. I think that in order to be humorous one has to be a little offensive. The best type of humor makes fun of people who bring about and are responsible for their own state of existence, such as fat people or stupid morons. But the tsunami victims were innocent victims and it is bad protocol to make fun of them.

As far as the firing goes it came from pressure by people making press conferences and writing angry letters, but one shouldn't let the public pressure be a deciding factor. It bothers me because it is like censorship.

I do not get the satisfying feel that justice was served by the firing of the host. What would be ideal would be for some tsunami relatives or sympathizers to kidnap the host of the show and film him thrashing about while being drowned with his own parody song playing in the background, to the sadistic laughing of the people killing the guy. Then distribute the video to the public by way of p2p or through Zarqawi's blog in Iraq. That would give me the satisfaction that justice had been served for the radio show host.

Edited by eclectica

I do not get the satisfying feel that justice was served by the firing of the host. What would be ideal would be for some tsunami relatives or sympathizers to kidnap the host of the show and film him thrashing about while being drowned with his own parody song playing in the background, to the sadistic laughing of the people killing the guy. Then distribute the video to the public by way of p2p or Zarqawi's blog in Iraq. That would give me the satisfaction that justice had been served for the radio show host.

Or just P2P.

Zarqawi can go vaporize in a volcano somewhere...........if he really exists that is.

In any event, i'd watch the video. I bet redneck would masturbate to it.

Edited by Ken

I think ultimately it was the marketplace that decided the fate of these morons, not government censorship. This was about the most poorly thought out, idiotic excuse for entertainment I have ever seen. I am not easily offended, but this was just too much. It could have been done in a humorous manner, even as tasteless as it is, but the way it was done was simply rascist, insensitive and just stupid. Not funny, but offensive for the sheer shock value. Oh well, maybe something was learned by this, but somehow I doubt it...........