Massive earthquake hits Asia

method77

8.9 magnitude quake struck under the sea near Aceh in north Indonesia, generating a wall of water that sped across thousands of kilometres of sea.

Over 9000 dead according to the lates reports. The strongest earthquake in the world for 40 years.

I can't tell you sorry I feel after seeing those scenes on the news with all those poor (literally) people running around like crazy.

BBC

:blink: Tsunami! :o

heard this on the radio news earlier.... still havent seen the pics.... not sure I want to either. It's very sad that so many people have lost their lives. I doubt if any recent natural disaster has effected so many countries at the same time.

According to the latest reports, more than 11000 are missing. Greek travellers which were there talk about a complete disaster. The huge waves came more than an hour later and destroyed everything along the coast which was mostly big hotels.

Scary thoughts for us here in Greece (and Turkey) cause we get hit constantly

i heard about this last night...bah, very depressing. the red cross is looking for help.

25000 dead and number is going to be much higher.

This turned out to be one of the worst disasters ever.

I heard some scientists say that for a split second, the whole planet shook and the orbit stopped. The size and strenght of that thing was much bigger that a human being can imagine. They also said that it's like 1000000 atomic bombs blowing up at the same time.

Today, the Tsunami reached Africa(!!!!!!) and killed about 30 people in Kenya and Somalia. Unthinkable!

It looks like it's the biggest natural disaster that we will ever see in our lives :blink:

It's really hard for this to happen again.

We have seen huge earthquakes (I have been in some too) but the size and type of this was amazing. The Tsunami too. If you read more about this earthquake, you will understand what I mean. It's one of the few times during the life of this planet that a "global earthquake" has happened.

The scary part is that all natural disasters can be predicted and have time to prepare except an earthquake.

Read the various links in this BBC page if you have the time and want.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4129371.stm

Since the speed of a shallow-water wave is , where g is the gravitational acceleration and d is the water depth, a tsunami in the open ocean can obtain a speed of about 700 km/h. While in deep water a person at the surface of the water would probably not notice, the wave can increase to a height of 30 m and more as it approaches the coastline. Tsunamis can cause severe destruction on coasts and islands.

:o:o:o

The waves can get much higher than that, depending on the depth and shape of the coastline. Chile and Alaska were hit this century really hard with many deaths but that was years ago when there were no hotels and luxury houses on the beaches. It's changed now.

The ancient Minoan civilization in Crete, Greece, was TOTALLY destroyed by a wave like that. No signs of them after that. Scientists say those waves were 300 meters high.

Update: 44000 :(

I don't care to see video of people being washed away but I would like to see some video of the wave coming ashore in a deserted area. Problem is......if it's deserted there is no one to take the video. There will be some major improvements in the way warnings are dealt with after this disaster.

there are no ways to see it coming Redneck. There are some warning systems around the globe like Greece and Hawaii but the wave does not show on the surface until it's too late.

And remember, an earthquake acts differently every time. Not long ago in Japan, there was a 9 sized shake but there was no wave and noone died (except a few old people from heart attacks).

I understand you can't see it coming but what I meant was that on the news they have clips for a few seconds of people being washed away and damage to buildings. I would like to see a 20 minute video of the wave coming ashore in a deserted location and how the water recedes and so on. I am sure that there isn't such a video. I don't care to watch 20 minutes of people drowning and others made homeless. With other more predictable events such as volcanoes there are some good videos.

Most stars,actors,actresses,directors,producers,etc.--where are they in regards to this disaster?

Fuck 'em..........

Sorry for this RANT!!

I'm so sick of them............

They make me wanna puke!!

I hope Hollywood falls into the ocean...........

post-86-1104270907.gif

I don't expect anything from them or any star. Politicians should do that. It's then I'm so angry at (as usual).

The only ones who actually do something are people that don't get paid

eg. Red Cross, UN volunteers, etc etc.

I know at least 2 Greek organisations are there and I'm sure organisations from around the world went there.

on the subject of the tsunami..it is a terrible thing and a tragic situation...and many friends of mine in new zealand are heading over there now...about 700 new zealanders living in that region are so far unaccounted for......the new zealand govt is contributing heaps..the effects of the tsunami were felt 17 hours later down here...... :( :( :( :o:o

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004825

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3142292a10,00.html

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3141750a10,00.html

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004896

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9004895