Shameless Pop Songs You Love

DudeAsInCool

Ok, I will admit to liking Ireland's Donna Lewis's "I Love You Always Forever." Any other shameless confessors? I know Umma likes the Monkees :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I will admit to liking Ireland's Donna Lewis's "I Love You Always Forever." Any other shameless confessors? I know Umma likes the Monkees :lol::lol::lol:

I agree with you and Umma. :blink:

First Class - Beach Baby

American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Me

Brotherhood of Man - United We Stand

Poppy Family - Which Way You Goin' Billy

All of which happen to be "one hit wonders".....I wonder why? :lol:

I agree with you and Umma. :blink:

First Class - Beach Baby

American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Me

Brotherhood of Man - United We Stand

Poppy Family - Which Way You Goin' Billy

All of which happen to be "one hit wonders".....I wonder why? :lol:

American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Me...have you heard the original version by `60`s band " amen corner " red????.....

American Breed hit #5 on the Billboard charts with that tune in 1968. I thought that was the original. :wha':

american breed did release the original.....this one is a cover..very jazzy sound........

Amen Corner are best remembered for their number one hit, If paradise was half as nice, which was recorded on the Immediate label. The recordings they made for Immediate have been repackaged many times, but their earlier Decca recordings were unavailable on CD before this was released, except for Bend me shape me, which can be found on 60's various artists compilations.

Andy Fairweather-Low, the lead singer, has a distinctive falsetto voice which is difficult to forget and it works just as well on these recordings, which have a definite R+B flavor, as it does on the music he recorded after leaving Decca.

These tracks were recorded in 1967 and 1968 and yielded three hits - Bend me shape me (a cover of an American hit for American Breed), Gin house blues and High in the sky, though the first of these is much better known in Britain than the other two. All three turn up on Immediate collections via live recordings, but I much prefer the original studio versions.

The set also includes great covers of Love me tender and Can't get used to losing you, which you certainly won't mistake for the originals - not just Andy's voice but the arrangements are very different.

I don't know how well Amen Corner did in America, but they were certainly one of the best British groups of the late sixties. For anybody interested in British pop/R+B music of the late sixties, the Amen Corner is worth investigating.

post-59-1103060095.jpg

The only tune of their's that I have is "If Paradise Is Half As Nice".

In my investigating I just discovered that Bend Me Shape Me was co-written by Scott English. He is also the co-writer of Mandy which was Barry Manilow's first hit back in 75. Scott had a minor hit with the same song in 72 but he called it Brandy. Barry changed the name to Mandy because Looking Glass had a big hit in 72 with a different song named Brandy. Interesting.......

The yrs may not be correct because I did not look it up. I am operating from a jurassic memory.

I will have to *buy* that amen corner cd sometime. Thanks for the info.

you people are old :banana1:

Yes......and it could happen to you, too, eventually.

However, your chances diminish if you continue to piss people off by making comments like that. :lol:

Kiwi, I just *bought* Bend Me, Shape Me by Amen Corner. You are right. It is a very different and well done arrangement. I will try to *buy* the rest of the cd. :lol:

gerry rafferty.." baker street "...astrud gilberto " girl from ipanema "...choice song.

serial billie holliday fan..... " blue moon , ain`t misbehavin`, all of me "

Edited by kiwibank

Pop music, huh?....OK, I like Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald and Frankie Laine.

That's classy stuff, Koop. Only shameless stuff in this thread :lol:

I personally like Mmmbop by Hanson and I want to dance with somebody by Whitney Houston and Tiffany's only number 1 mall hit. Can't think of the name yet. Someone help me out? :)

I personally like Mmmbop by Hanson and I want to dance with somebody by Whitney Houston and Tiffany's only number 1 mall hit. Can't think of the name yet. Someone help me out? :)

Her cover version of the old tommy james & the shondells tune, "I Think We're Alone Now"?

Her cover version of the old tommy james & the shondells tune, "I Think We're Alone Now"?

Speaking of which, Hanky Panky and Crimson & Clover would fit the shameless pop[ bill. Here's a link to all there stuff:

http://www.musicstack.com/search/tommy+james

Yes Red thank you! It was a cover song? LOL All too common in today's music. Oh yes I should add Pour some sugar on love by Def Leppard. Pretty much all the 80's pop hits since I am an eighties' child :)

crystal blue persuasion

That was annoying. I acutally saw the band at Strawberry Fields in Canada - they did a great cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl.

Yes Red thank you! It was a cover song? LOL All too common in today's music.

Not just covers, but stealing melodies and pieces of songs.

I just overheard some rap song the other day set to the beginning part of Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train".

I almost shit my pants.