• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COLTS 34, CHARGERS 31, OVERTIME

Manning Picks Perfect Time to Break Marino's Record

By LEE JENKINS

Published: December 27, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS, Dec. 26 - For 59 minutes of football, he had flapped his arms, pulled at his chin strap and screamed at his sideline, but in the moment when the record and the game were finally in his sights, Peyton Manning became the calmest and quietest person in the house.

Standing on the San Diego Chargers' 21-yard line with one minute remaining, down by 8 points and deadlocked with Dan Marino for the most touchdown passes in a season, Manning disregarded the play that was being shouted in his headset. He blocked out the 57,330 fans at the RCA Dome who stood in anticipation. He ignored his parents, Archie and Olivia, who had arrived with eight minutes left.

Manning, famous for his onfield intensity and his intricate audibles, casually walked over to wide receiver Brandon Stokley and whispered an instruction heard more often in backyard touch football games than N.F.L. stadiums: "Run a post."

"You think the N.F.L. is real complex," Manning said. "But it turns into street ball real quick."

It did not matter that the Colts had never run the play during a game. Or that they had only practiced it a few times during one-on-one drills. Manning fooled the Chargers with a signal for a corner route, and as Stokley broke toward the middle, San Diego safety Terrence Kiel was faked so badly that he fell in the end zone. "I kind of lost my footing," Kiel said.

When Stokley turned his head, the ball was already on his hands. As he cradled Manning's 49th touchdown pass of the season, the crowd saluted its quarterback, and Archie and Olivia cheered for their son, but Manning motioned for everyone to shush. To make his day complete, to make it truly worth toasting, he still needed a 2-point conversion, an overtime field goal and a landmark victory.

In the end, he got it all. Edgerrin James tied the score with a bull rush up the middle, and Mike Vanderjagt won it with a 30-yard field goal in overtime to beat the Chargers, 34-31.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/27/sports/f...artner=homepage

• 3 weeks later...
The Pittsburgh Steelers - 20

The New York Jets - 17

The AFC Championship is next!!

:hyper: ;) :fight: :rofl: :strumma:

:frog: :bow: :par-taaay: :horny:

Rainbow is scrubbing up the blood he sweated out onto the floor in the Steelers overtime victory....

I am damn glad the Jets lost. Bastards beat San Diego.

Karma.

Stupid rookie kicker of SD could have won the game. This time NY kicker misses twice. Ha!

At this point, however, I want either Minnesota or Philadelphia to make it to the SB.

If neither make it and Pittburgh makes it, I'll root for Pittsburgh. If none of those three make it, I may just watch for the commercials.

I'm not a Blitzburgh fan at all but I think I despise the Jets a little more........Steelers were lucky to have won, It was an excellent game, the way games should be.

I picked the Steelers to win, I thought the Falcons would win but not by the margin they did.

Today I'm taking the Colts and the Vikes.