Legendary radio DJ John Peel dies

Umma

johnpeel.jpgVeteran BBC broadcaster John Peel has died at the age of 65, while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the city of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack.

He was BBC Radio 1's longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented Home Truths on Radio 4.

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said Peel's contribution to modern music and culture was "immeasurable".

Read the rest here

r.i.p.

Sad that such a nice bloke is gone.

shit. John Peel was probably the only DJ i had any respect for. He always tried hard to dig out cutting edge alternative music, if it wasn't for him alot of good bands might never have been hard of. His "peel sessions" were legendary, and led to some great recordings.

i never heard his show but for ages when i was in NYC, every person i ever met from england mentioned him sooner or later. yesterday about noon, my friend txtd me w/this, totally gutted. bah...

Some articles at the BBC:

Glastonbury tribute to John Peel

Glastonbury Festival's new bands tent will be renamed the John Peel Stage in tribute to the veteran BBC Radio 1 DJ, who died this week aged 65.

Peel's huge impact on music

I think he is a great presenter, but if that isn't enough, here is the shokingly long list of bands he has helped. I don't mean helped in the sense Peter Waterman, I mean helped as in gave airtime to unknown bands - and even supported them with his own wages.

Tributes pour in for DJ John Peel

The people he helped saying what a good guy he is. Also other famous names paying tribute, including PM Tony Blair.

Listen to Radio 1, who are playing a load of his favourite tracks and generally paying tribute in a celebratory sort of way. Link

I got to read a lot of things about him today on the papers and I must say that is a huge loss for the music community in general.

I found in a site a random playlist of his on the radio and that shows that this guy was not just a random producer.

Here it is:

The Little Killers - "Mind of it's Own" (LP - 'The Little Killers') - (Crypt)

Dr. Venom - "Mumra" (12") - (Heatseeker Warheadz)

The Wedding Present - "Ringway to Seetac" (Peel Session)

Don & Juan - "Could this Be Love?" (LP - 'Looking for my Baby') - (Sundazed)

Axis of Advance - "Revolution Decimation" (LP - 'Obey') - (Osmose)

Johnny Clarke - "Blood Dunza" (7") - (Attack)

Deverova Chyba - "Mezi Nama" (LP - 'Doforoty') - (Free Dimension)

Nktar - "Ways2go" (EP - 'Truizm') - (Outside)

The Wedding Present - "Queen Anne" (Peel Session)

Martyn Hare - "Resurrect" (12") - (Designer)

Cocteau Twins - "Aikea Guinea" (7") - (4AD)

65DaysofStatic - "I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood" (LP - 'The Fall of Math) - (Monotreme)

Muddy Waters - "Rolling Stone"(LP - 'Sail On') - (Chess)

Duran Duran Duran - "Party Size" (LP - 'Drunk on Cock') - (Irritant)

The Wedding Present - "Shivers" (Peel Session)

The Delgados - "?" (LP - 'Universal Audio') - (Chemikal Underground)

Milanese - "FLEX" (lp - '1 Up') - (Warp)

The Flaming Stars - "Spilled your Pint" 7") - (Vinyl Japan)

Stan Stewart - "A Cup of Coffee, A Sandwich and You" (Pig's Big 78) - (Guardsman)

Help. She Can't Swim - "Bunty vs Beano" (7") - (Fantastic Plastic)

Jon Doe - "Underground" (12") - (Honey Pot)

The Wedding Present - "White Horses" (Peel Session)

Prosthetic Cunt - "She's Old Enough to Look at" (7") - (Relapse)

Black Daimond - "3rd Density" (12") - (Ill ProdUKt)

The Dirty - "B-Movie Dance" (7") - (Dirty Water)

D. Bridge - "Bellini" (12") - (Metalheadz Platinum)

The Wedding Present - "Blue Eyes" (Peel Session)

Boris - "Huge" (LP - 'Amplifier Worship') - (Southern Lord)

Many many big names owe this guy big time