The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted

Kooperman

catstevens.jpgThe Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted

By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A London-to-Washington flight was diverted to Maine on Tuesday when it was discovered passenger Yusuf Islam ? formerly known as singer Cat Stevens ? was on a government watch list and barred from entering the country, federal officials said.

United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International Airport when the match was made between a passenger and a name on the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration. The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

For the complete story click here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../plane_diverted

singer Cat Stevens — was on a government watch list and barred from entering the country, federal officials said.

Pretty sad. I suppose he had different views from this administration's... Anyone want to enlighten me as to why he should not be allowed in the USA?

Anyone want to enlighten me as to why he should not be allowed in the USA?

Well...he was trying to sneak in on an airplane. When he filled out his passport stuff he specifically stated he was gonna be on the "peace train".

:psychofun:

Well...he was trying to sneak in on an airplane. When he filled out his passport stuff he specifically stated he was gonna be on the "peace train".

lol

LOL to y'all. why shouldn't he be allowed in? dint he say some really uncomplimentary things about amerika ages ago in the 70s? my memory's shot (and i never liked his music anyway).

LOL to y'all. why shouldn't he be allowed in? dint he say some really uncomplimentary things about amerika ages ago in the 70s? my memory's shot (and i never liked his music anyway).

I think he went from being a peacenik to a palestinian sympathizer...perhaps he's become more radical than that???

His parent were greek so like all greeks he's a open minded which the current american goverment doesn't like.

taken from the FAQ in his site:

"Q: HAS YUSUF/CAT STEVENS EVER GIVEN MONEY TO CHARITIES THAT SUPPORT TERRORISM, AND/OR DOES HE SUPPORT TERRORISM IN ANY WAY?:

No, of course not. Yusuf is a man of peace and feels that terrorism is un-islamic. He has never given any money or support to any terrorist organization. The same goes for charities that front terrorist groups. In fact Yusuf devotes most of his resources to his own charities. One, "Small Kindness" gives the money directly to the families in need (there are no middle-men involved). "

That bastard! :o

yet they do it and get away with it. It's not the first time either. Where's the justice system?

You people have to get rid of this goverment and all the idiots that run the country immediately. I'm not kidding about this. The rest of the world sees America (the goverment) as one of the worst ever if not the worst and I feel sorry about all the American citizens around the globe that pay the price.

Bush was speaking at the UN summit yesterday and I was watching live. I was pretty amazed when I saw the majority of the countries NOT applauding (spell) for his speech

now, the question is...will cat stevens and the us administration finally get on board the " peace train "???...i think not...

------------------------------------------------------

Peace Train

by Cat Stevens

Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come

And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one

And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train

Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Now I've been smiling lately, thinking about the good things to come

And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh peace train sounding louder

Glide on the peace train

Come on now peace train

Yes, peace train holy roller

Everyone jump upon the peace train

Come on now peace train

Get your bags together, go bring your good friends too

Cause it's getting nearer, it soon will be with you

Now come and join the living, it's not so far from you

And it's getting nearer, soon it will all be true

Now I've been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is

Why must we go on hating, why can't we live in bliss

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train

Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

post-92-1095890984.jpg

yet they do it and get away with it. It's not the first time either. Where's the justice system?

You people have to get rid of this goverment and all the idiots that run the country immediately. I'm not kidding about this. The rest of the world sees America (the goverment) as one of the worst ever if not the worst and I feel sorry about all the American citizens around the globe that pay the price.

Bush was speaking at the UN summit yesterday and I was watching live. I was pretty amazed when I saw the majority of the countries NOT applauding (spell) for his speech

I agree with method. He's from Greece, I saw. I am from the Netherlands.

I do not wish to offend the american people here, of course, but

(I wrote, deleted, wrote all over again many times now.....)

the news that comes from over the ocean often is so ridiculous, that it is sad.

I agree with method. He's from Greece, I saw. I am from the Netherlands.

I do not wish to offend the american people here, of course, but

(I wrote, deleted, wrote all over again many times now.....)

the news that comes from over the ocean often is so ridiculous, that it is sad.

i agree w/method and i also agree w/you totally. there are an awful lot of people in the states who think the way we do as well but since 11. sept, they've all had to shut up about it, thanks to the bush machine. we've been in EU for 3 years exactly and i can only think of us leaving as an escape, cause that's what it was.

last night i watched JFK (thousandth time and yes i know it's not 'accurate'). at the very end, the title says 'What's Past is Prologue' and of course, i immediately think of the fascist regime now running the damn country. the machine includes some who were in gov't in the 60s and there's that motherfucker earl warren (supreme court 'justice') as well, but that's another story. it happened once--they bullshitted the entire country and got away w/it--and it happened again w/the disastrous Florida recount. and it's still happening today.

bush doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself and his big business cronies. i can only assume that ALL the bushlovers on this board are very wealthy people, cause if you're not, the gov'ts gonna squeeze you dry and leave your children and children's children paying for their mistakes.

'a word to the wise guy' as william s burroughs used to say.

Cat Stevens Calls U.S. Deportation 'Ridiculous'

Sep 23, 5:59 AM (ET)

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Muslim convert and former pop star Cat Stevens returned to Britain on Thursday after his deportation from the U.S. over "potential" terrorism links sparked an Anglo-American diplomatic row.

"The whole thing is totally ridiculous," Stevens said on arrival at London's Heathrow airport. "Half of me wants to smile, half of me wants to growl."

UK Muslim leaders were outraged. "The United States is shutting down its house, building walls around itself," said Anas Altikriti, spokesman for the Muslim Association of Britain.

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/42861...08|reuters.html

The govt thinks he is associated with funding some terrorists it seems.

He may have donated money that wound up in the wrong hands without his knowledge. Their have been cases all over the world where organizations represent themselves as charities but are accused of funding terrorists. It seems that Hamas and such don't tell donors where their money is going, imagine that! I hope they get it right all the time but I'm sure there are mistakes made just like the prisons have plenty of innocent people in them. :wha':

Didn't Stevens say he supported the edict that was issued against Salman Rushdie or however you spell his name? I don't care to have a person allowed in the U.S. that thinks someone ought to be killed because he wrote a book. "Peace Train" my ass. "I'll kill you if you write a book that I think offends my religion"?? We have enough religious freaks in this country without importing any. <_>

I hope he never comes back.

Link please - hard to believe

I remember that from yrs ago but I hit the search button and here is a link that pops up.

http://www.phillywire.com/Cat_Stevens.html

I can't believe that you are too young to remember the flap it caused at the time. Must be the drugs. :lol:

I remember that from yrs ago but I hit the search button and here is a link that pops up. http://www.phillywire.com/Cat_Stevens.html

I can't believe that you are too young to remember the flap it caused at the time. Must be the drugs. :lol:

I think its the cat that must be on drugs :lol:

His comments in 1989 concerning Salman Rushdie after the publication of Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses provoked controversy. During this time period an Islamic fatwa (religious ruling) was issued, holding that it was an obligation of Muslims to kill Salman Rushdie. Yusuf Islam publicly stated that Rushdie was indeed guilty of blasphemy against Islam, and Rushdie deserved to be killed. This led to a public outcry, and a drop in record sales. In response to this criticism, Yusuf Islam has since clarified that he believes that a death sentence can only be carried out by the authority of a court in an Islamic society, and that he is opposed to anyone taking the law into their own hands by murdering Rushdie.

I actually found several references to it, this is just one.

Good memory I guess Red.

edit - oops, I'm slowing down.

We have enough religious freaks in this country without importing any. <_>

I hope he never comes back.

During the Gulf War he raised further controversy by his comments in support of Saddam Hussein.

:bigsmile: I agree Redneck, after hearing this who cares where he winds up. Maybe he can take Michael Moore with him and just disappear.