Walkman

Umma

My first walkman wasn't a Sony but one of those cheaper walkman clones. I bought it in London in January 1982 while waiting to catch the Magic Bus back to Athens after a visit home for a couple of weeks. It was brick chunky like the one in the picture but even cooler than a Sony... if that was possible... because mine had two headsets. Two headsets meant a lot of people wanted to sit in the next seat on the bus which in a lot of cases wasnt a good thing. If you ever travelled on the Magic Bus .... I don't mean you :lol:

I didn't own it for long though .. it was traded in Turkey in March the same year, for a couple of Afghan coats that were even cooler than the twin headset walkman because they were worth more than it was, and doubled as extra insulation while sleeping in a tent :)

post-59-1089075830.jpg

I went to a girlfriend's house on Christmas of 1981. After we had smoked a couple of joints, she gave me a huge tin of those great big pretzels. Nicely gift wrapped. We attacked them! About a third of the way down was a brand-new walkman. Similar to the one in Umma's picture. It was a nice suprise, as well as a cool way to do it. Had that thing for years. Longer than the g/f, in fact.

:groovin:

I had one around the same time as you guys. Used to use it during my 4 mile running days... (which Id still be doing if it wasnt for all this damned asphault out here)

I think my first walkman was a christmas gift from my parents when I was really young. I cant remember. But I do remember one of my favorite tapes to play on it. It was Bob Dylans Infadels. On one side it had Jokerman, and when the song was done, as soon as you flipped the tape would be Lisence to Kill, which were my two favorite songs. It was my dads tape, and thats when i first started stealing all his tunes :lol:

on a side note, when i was packing my stuff cause i just moved out, i found that tape. i finally gave it back to my dad (more becasue their car has a tape deck, and i dont have one at all)

My first one was probably in 1984, and I got it with recording capability to record Dead shows, but I brought it to some other shows too. I can't remember what brand it was other than I had mail ordered it from some fancy electronics equipment outfit.

I had a copy of Helene Curtis's Biology that is hollowed out in the middle that it fit in exactly, and I would throw it in with some other text books along with some funky-filthy clothes, and stroll up to security...the week-old tour socks always worked! Some of my tapes came out good too, the times I wasn't too fucked up and singing along...