Who Is Your Favorite Bass Player?

DudeAsInCool

Here are Bass Inside's Top CD's feature bass players. Who are your favorites?

••••

We really thought it would be easy to just name 10 of the most popular albums out there, but it proved much more difficult than we imagined.

We ultimately decided to go with some of the exceptional albums we have covered for review or albums from artists we have interviewed since we began close to a year and a half ago, that really caught our attention. Naturally some were left out. This time next year we will just cover 2004.And next time, we will probably opt for the Top 20 and just hope that is enough!

Granted, the 'Best of Anything' is and will always be a matter of perspective and personal taste. These are just the ones that were submitted to us and proved exceptionally good. There are of course others, very good ones, that slipped through the cracks, so it is up to you to get out there, do searches on bass players, visit their sites (most of them have sound files), write them and let them know you are listening.

Ninety-nine percent of them would love to hear your feedback. You help them in their decision making as to where to go and where to grow. In turn, you help the direction of music and in particular, bass playing. Forget leaving it to the record labels, they are lost and though they will never admit it, they are looking to you for direction. So let the players know you appreciate their strengths and are aware of their weaknesses. After all, we are all in this together.

Magnus Rosen

Empty Rooms - Music For Solo Bass

2003, LBM Records

Bassist: Magnus Rosen

This man amazes me. He works steadily in a band (Swedish band: Hammerfall) that by its very genre usually does not demand much from the role as bassist. Oftimes the usual job for a metal bassist is reinforcing the kick drum and snare and following the chordal changes. At best parroting the guitarist and never getting in their way, not that they would let you!

But not for Magnus! A double CD of tunes and this after two previous solo albums in quick succession, he stirs up a broad spectrum of tunes, extending through all styles and even includes a neo-classical mix. All done on a four string! Delightfully good. One of the finest relatively unknown solo bassists out there so far! Also one of the nicest surprises of the year!

RUSH

Live In Rio (3 CD set)

2003, Atlantic Records/Anthem

Bassist: Geddy Lee

One of the obvious aspects of a live album is you get to hear a musician giving it all. Anyone alive this past quarter century knows Lee is a very well rounded player, somehow handling vocals, snyth triggers, bass pedals, the occasional guitar work and a bass sound and skill to die for. This triple CD feast shows just how very much he deserves the respect and admiration he has gathered over the years. Geddy has aged, but he has not been tempered. What a mind-boggling bassist he is! If you have been wanting a good overview of their career but have held off till now, this is the one to get. Geddy is the sort of player that inspires people to pick up the instrument in the first place. A true inspiration.

A Tribute to the Ramones

We're a Happy Family

2003, Columbia Records

Bassists: Various

Why this one? Because it takes a band I had made a concerted effort to ignore the first time around, and shows me that I was patently wrong. Also that their songs had tremendous merit but I was too much of a musical elitist prat to take notice. Easily one of the best tribute albums I have ever heard with top performances from some of the most unlikely sources, the likes of Marilyn Manson (that man can do things to other peoples tunes they would never have dreamed of!), the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Pretenders, U2, Metaliica, and even Kiss! Highly recommended.

Hellmut Hattler

Mallberry Moon

2003, Bassball Records

Bassist: Hellmut Hattler

Easily one of the best written albums of the year when it comes to powerful commercial vehicles for the bass. At no point in the album do the tunes suffer on the cross of this mans incredible playing. He gives it that pop angle with the wonderful vocals of Sandee Wollasch. I have no idea as to the critical or sales success of this album, but if you are looking for an album with great bass voicings, imaginative playing and strong tunes that stick in your head for days afterwards, this one is the one.

Alien Ant Farm

TruAnt

2003, Universal Music

Bassist: Tye Zamora

With TruAnt, the newest release from AAF, we see the development of a player that views himself firstly as an entertainer and secondly as a bassist. When asked if he ever envisions a solo bass project, the answer is an immediate "no". He would rather put out an album showcasing him as an entertainer first and a bassist second. However, it has to be said, things might not go according to plans.

AAF's newest album does successfully promote him and his bandmates as strong performers, but it also shows just how powerful Tye is as a bassist as well. Sporting a custom-built Fender signature bass that does not look like or sound like a P or J bass (finally!), his unintentional lead bass playing demands attention, whether Tye likes it or not! Too bad old sport, face it, you’re damned good!

RMS & Gil Evans

Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1983

2003, Angel Air Wave Records

Bassist: Mo Foster

Mo was a guest earlier this year in Bass Inside, but it wasn’t until November that we received this live DVD of him working with guitarist Gil Evans back in 1983 at Montreux. This contains one of the nicest, most elegant and articulate fretless solos I recall ever hearing. It’s odd seeing a much younger Mo, even looking a little shy on stage, but this guy has no reason to be shy. Recording back when Fusion was still a nice word, do not be put off by the genre itself. This was recorded when it was at its peak, so there is no staleness here.

His solo on the track entitled ‘First Love’ will from this point on be the standard by which I measure all fretless solos. I dare any of you to listen to his playing and NOT take up fretless! Good luck playing it as well as he did. One of our favourite releases of the year.

T.M. Stevens

Shockazooloo

2003, United One Records

Bassist: T.M. Stevens

You have got to love an album that leaves you no option but to smile. T.M.'s obvious love of his craft is infectious. Everything about the man, from outfit to attitude, playing style to bass, is over the top. A showman all the way. The album covers a lot of ground style-wise with a great big dollop of Funk, but the main theme is his no-nonsense attitude towards racism and hatred, he will have none of it. This sentiment permeats the album but is never preachy. He is very strong on positive thought. The Bass? Great tone, great playing, great songs, great attitude. An absolute winner!

Benny Rietveld

Mystery of Faith

2001, Glacierboy Records

Bassist: Benny Rietveld

This is a bit of an older album, from 2001 to be exact, but it is such an extraordinary album, it cannot be overlooked. This is the sort of album you'd choose if you were stuck on a desert island and could choose only three. Indispensable! Many styles involved, but each one meticulously covered, with great love and attention to detail. This would set any beginning bassist on a path he would be grateful for for years to come.

Richard Peikoff & Buzz Feiten

Indian Summer

2002, Mükli Music

Bassist: Michael Manring

Though Michael plays only one song ('Up Bubble') on this release, the overall level of the album itself bears considerable mention. The first tendency is to loosely label the album New Age, but it is not, not remotely. What it is is an album showcasing two world class guitarists, Buzz Feiten on steel-string/slide and baritone guitar and Richard Peikoff on nylon-string guitar and electric. What it is is a beautiful piece of thoughtful music for grownups. Like a musical back rub, for the lack of a better term! Moving and relaxing and leaving you wanting more.

Sylvan

Artificial Paradise

2002, Point Music

Bassist: Sebastian Harnack

A great German progressive band heading into the studio shortly for their next release, Syvan are the proud owners of one of the best rock releases of 2002 A truly different sounding group that deserves some attention if for no other reason than they have the guts to sound like no one but themselves. Grown up sound, grown up tunes that haunt you for days with passion & beauty, truly a class act!

greatest bass player of all times imo Jacko Pastorious (spelling?) from the Weather Report

Jaco Pastorius. I always remember Joe Zawinul as the front member of the band...Used to love Weather Report--actually, the Jazz Club I was in brought them to Penn State. That was a long time ago. LOL. When did they last record?

Other good bass players include: Charlie Hayden--Keith Jarrett; Jack Dejonette (check out Mile's Davis's Jack Johnson--he and John McLaughlin are unbelievable); Jack Bruce of Cream was pretty good in his day; and believe it or not, Paul McCartney was pretty awesome...

Anybody else have any favorite bass players?

• 1 month later...

I cannot settle on an individual player. Out of my current collection, I favor the following:

Geddy Lee - Rush

Les Claypool - Primus

Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath

Joey Vera - Engine/Fates Warning

Flea - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Steve Harris - Iron Maiden

Cliff Burton (RIP) - Metallica

Lemmy Kilmister - Motörhead

RÜ-D - MuDvAyNe

Joey DeMaio - Manowar

D.D. Verni - Overkill

Tom Araya - Slayer

Justin Chancellor - Tool

psychofun

• 1 month later...
If anyone here hasn't heard Victor Wooten, he is definitely the most amazing player alive. As far as technique he blows EVERYBODY away...just listen to his Classic Thump...whoooooa...definitley my favorite

What band is he in?

He plays with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, but he has released several solo bass albums that are freakin' amazing...if your looking to check it out, A Show of Hands is an awwweesome album.

Here is a link to this SWEET page on his site...he posted the actual sheet music to Classic Thump, and has audio samples, lessons, etc...very very sweet.